REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Fanboys Rejoice! Mazda is Building Another Mistake (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687367-fanboys-rejoice-mazda-building-another-mistake.html)

Gridlock 08-17-2013 09:07 AM

Fanboys Rejoice! Mazda is Building Another Mistake

...I mean Rotary engine ;) Oh relax, I'm allowed I own one.

Mazda 16X rotary engine two years away, will arrive in all-new model - Autoblog

I wonder if they'll get the design team straightened out on the car this time.

Timpo 08-17-2013 10:24 AM

This is weak.

Mazda should build 500+hp 3 rotor turbo or something.

RX-7 used to be a rival of GT-R back in 90s but they're not even close anymore.

radioman 08-17-2013 10:26 AM

This wont touch the GT-R! Not even close!

Timpo 08-17-2013 10:37 AM

yeah exactly

I think Nissan did a pretty good job building the GT-R and actually making it into the production.
If GT-R didn't exist, LFA may not made it into a production and same with the new NSX.

2 n r 08-17-2013 10:55 AM

Mazda Mistake has a nice ring to it
Posted via RS Mobile

godwin 08-17-2013 11:02 AM

Wankel is so hard core, the Nazis had to kick him out TWICE! I am sure EPA will reject this design at least 3 times.

BoostedBB6 08-17-2013 11:11 AM

Mazda has seriously failed as a sports car manufacturer.

Sure, they have there Miata, which is a decent little car but as it ages it gets bigger, and heavier.
They have there Mazdaspeed line of cars but they are all adaptations of economy cars with some power added.

There is no more "true" sports car. The RX8 handles like a dream but is hugely underpower compared to its direct competitors. Now they talk about building a new engine.... make it a triple rotor with a turbo. They need torque, boom you have it. They want fuel economy, sure, how about using something that truly does a good job in managing the engine.
If need be, give Haltec a call and have them supply the engine management and they will get the performance and economy out of it.

Excited to see what they do, but I fear that it will fall far short of where it should be.

Timpo 08-17-2013 11:16 AM

^ as for fuel economy, they could add hybrid system just like NSX, LaFerrari, Porsche 918, etc.

Also if they were to build 3 rotor, they could design an ECU to shut off 1 or 2 rotors during "eco mode".

TheStig 08-17-2013 11:23 AM

I can't understand why Mazda has such a recent aversion to turbocharging their rotary engines. It seems that would immediately solve their predicament with regard to performance. Any ideas why they insist on continuing with N/A?

BoostedBB6 08-17-2013 11:25 AM

The problem is the people who buy these cars are not car people. They buy it for the cool factor but dont expect to need to maintain it any different from a piston powered car.

Oiling system is different and is designed to burn oil, people didn't like this. Fuel economy from a sports car....come on people, you cant have everything. But a Mazda 6 or something if you want the fuel economy.

Gridlock 08-17-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStig (Post 8302646)
I can't understand why Mazda has such a recent aversion to turbocharging their rotary engines. It seems that would immediately solve their predicament with regard to performance. Any ideas why they insist on continuing with N/A?

Same thing that affects any and all production related "wtf" questions...reliability and regulation.

They have to work within a system where the average fuel economy across their fleet needs to hit a certain level.

That's like telling the Gap that they can sell as many pants as they want, just as long as they sell this many shirts. And you MUST offer underwear.

So free market my ass.

Where is my s10/Ranger/Dakota sized truck US Government? Where is my station wagon? Where is my small sized diesel engine.

Yes, some of the issues are the preferences of the consumer, but a lot of it is the regulatory world we live in.

I like the RX7. I have one. I also hate the RX7. I have one ;) What were the advantages of the rotary when it was introduced...small size, light weight, high-revving. Excellent power-in relation to size and weight.

But why Mazda would continue to devote R&D to it, I have no idea. Now, each and every manufacturer has a 2.0 turbo engine that cooks the rotary on performance, mileage and reliability.

There needs to be a main advantage to it, in my humble opinion, in order to draw people to it.

They failed on that with the RX8. Great looking car...kind of. Can be dressed up to be sexy as hell, but it still doesn't really fit in either world its designed to...sports car or sedan.

My guess would be that the next rotary would be combined with an electric hybrid motor to bring the best of both world together. High revving performance engine in a small space, with a gas saving motor good for low end torque.

jjson 08-17-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8302642)
Also if they were to build 3 rotor, they could design an ECU to shut off 1 or 2 rotors during "eco mode".

Shuts off 1-2 rotors during 'eco mode'.
Blows apex seals :troll:

Quote:

Most likely to do with reliability. They even fitted their RX-8 race car with with a 4 cyl + turbocharged skyactiv-D diesel engine.

Timpo 08-17-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

I can't really say anything about Mazda, but Honda engineers have been asked multiple times about this.
Honda tries to avoid using turbos for their sportscars...Integra Type-R, S2000, NSX, none of them have a turbo.

What Honda engineers said was they wanted to show off their technology and skills they have.
It is much more difficult to make power out of NA engine. Honda engineers even said that they have this pride as an F1 engine manufacture, they simply feel that they need to show off their engine building technique and let the world know Honda knows how to build a good engine. They wanted to show off how they can make power without relying on forced induction. eg. S15 Silvia: 2.0L Turbo 250ps, S2000: 2.0L NA, 250ps

Obviously there are some benefits for not having turbo, less heat, less weight, no turbo lag(although well tuned turbo engines nowadays have almost no lag), but the biggest thing for Honda is to show off their skills.

Traum 08-17-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8302638)
Mazda has seriously failed as a sports car manufacturer.

Sure, they have there Miata, which is a decent little car but as it ages it gets bigger, and heavier.
They have there Mazdaspeed line of cars but they are all adaptations of economy cars with some power added.

There is no more "true" sports car. The RX8 handles like a dream but is hugely underpower compared to its direct competitors. Now they talk about building a new engine.... make it a triple rotor with a turbo. They need torque, boom you have it. They want fuel economy, sure, how about using something that truly does a good job in managing the engine.

Please name another mainstream car company that has a more sporty line up than Mazda. Toyota? Nope, only the FRS. Honda? They've long given up on the enthusiast market. Hyundai? Impressive offerings in the G-coupe and maybe Veloster, but they can't touch the handling finesse of Mazda at all. Subaru comes close. That's about it. With Mazda, the majority of their cars have some sporty intentions / pretensions. The Mazda3, Mazda6, CX-5 are all top handling cars in their respective class. The Miata is a 20+ year automotive icon.

The stated goals of the 16X Renesis is:
1) reduce gas consumption
2) reduce oil consumption
3) deliver performance that is at least on par with the 13B MSP, if not better

and the unofficial goal that every enthusiast knows is to improve engine reliability (no more flooding, pre-mature apex seal wears, etc.)

If you up the displacement too much, you are going to kill the fuel economy. Same thing the moment you slap a turbo onto the engine. So neither of your suggestions are going to work.

If anything, I think Mazda is going to tap into some sort of electrical assistance to aid fuel economy. They already have the i-ELOOP super capacitor thing going on the Mazda6, and I would be surprised if that technology doesn't find its way into their next rotary-powered car. Or they might add some other kind of KERS stuff to the car. Remember, rotary engines have poor torque curves, but electric motors have max torque at 0 rpm. The two could combine to complement each other very well.

Quote:

In addition to what I've said above, reliable turbo-charging is also very expensive. Until recently, Mazda was in a very dire financial situation, so money isn't really something they can afford to throw around. (And in that regard, I totally agree that continual development on the Wankel engine makes little financial sense.) Additionally, NA engines have better throttle response, and a more linear power delivery than FI applications, and Mazda has mentioned that they prefer to chase after a more fulfilling overall driving experience instead of just dumping a huge amount of power into the car. If you look at the MS3, I think this makes a lot of sense. The MZR DISI engine in there is literally making too much power than what the car can handle. You end up fighting torque steer, wheel spin, and engine output needs to be reduced in the lower gears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8302647)
The problem is the people who buy these cars are not car people. They buy it for the cool factor but dont expect to need to maintain it any different from a piston powered car.

Oiling system is different and is designed to burn oil, people didn't like this. Fuel economy from a sports car....come on people, you cant have everything. But a Mazda 6 or something if you want the fuel economy.

These 2 points are so very true. Enthusiasts don't mind the quirks and know what they need to do to. But even then, more than a few have accidentally flooded their engines. The majority of consumers have been rightfully spoiled by relative reliability of the piston engine that they pretty much expect the same thing from the Wankel. But guess what? The Wankel is not a piston engine...

RE-Jo 08-17-2013 01:45 PM

Mazda should talk to the tuners regarding Aux injections.

TheStig 08-17-2013 02:36 PM

Great points folks regarding reliability and upcoming CAFE fleet requirements. Makes me wistful for the mid-90s, bad hairstyles aside ;)

dangonay 08-17-2013 03:03 PM

Mazda is only doing this as a publicity stunt or for nostalgia sake.

No engineer in their right mind would ever think that a rotary engine is somehow a suitable choice for a modern vehicle. From a thermodynamics POV they are just plain inefficient (which is funny since common sense would suggest a rotary should waste less energy than a piston engine since your main mass responsible for producing power is going in a circle instead of changing direction). They use more fuel to produce a given HP than a piston engine, produce way more emissions and are less reliable.

It doesn't matter what they do to improve it (seals, for example), the basic design of the rotary means it will ALWAYS use too much fuel and pollute like crazy.

Timpo 08-17-2013 03:37 PM

yeah rotaries aren't very fuel efficient.

piston engine: 1 combustion every 2 rotations
rotary engine: 2 combustions every 1 rotation

so rotaries are combusting 4 times more than piston engine

UFO 08-17-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8302654)
But why Mazda would continue to devote R&D to it, I have no idea. Now, each and every manufacturer has a 2.0 turbo engine that cooks the rotary on performance, mileage and reliability.

Half-ironic thing there is Mazda also has their own ~2L turbo motor

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangonay (Post 8302742)
Mazda is only doing this as a publicity stunt or for nostalgia sake.

No engineer in their right mind would ever think that a rotary engine is somehow a suitable choice for a modern vehicle.

You mean you don't want a car that you have to rev to infinity and still fall short of the torque a Civic Si can put out?

I think they are doing it just to be different, to show everybody else that they can get it to run half decently and that they haven't wasted all their R&D money and time. If they can somehow get it working half decently, they would consider it a win because it is unique to them and they were the only ones who could make it work. It won't be faster, it won't be more powerful, it won't be more efficient, and it won't be cheaper; but it will be different.

Neva 08-17-2013 04:00 PM

Using 2 spark plugs for ignition isn't the reason for bad fuel milegae. The fuel efficiency issue comes from a cylinders' shape being much more efficient at building compression right before ignition and then handling the heat much better afterwards. Also the fact that a rotary engine has open exhaust so unburnt fuel is allowed to escape before it can be burnt off in another round.

dangonay 08-17-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8302754)
yeah rotaries aren't very fuel efficient.

piston engine: 1 combustion every 2 rotations
rotary engine: 2 combustions every 1 rotation

so rotaries are combusting 4 times more than piston engine

I said they use more fuel to produce a given HP. How many times it combusts per engine cycle us irrelevant since we are only interested in measuring two things: how much fuel the engine is using (combusting) and how much power it's producing at the output.

A piston engine is more efficient than a rotary. Period. This is basic thermodynamics and you can't get around this fact no matter how much R&D money you throw at trying to improve a rotary.

The ONLY things rotaries have an advantage is they produce more power for a given displacement (irrelevant), they weigh less (also irrelevant since a piston engine, though weighing more, will make up for it with its higher efficiency) and they are smaller (could be an advantage in the design of certain cars). Oh, and they rev higher, for people who think this is actually important.

twitchyzero 08-17-2013 05:28 PM

Mazda :yuno: put the Furai into production

DOITFGT

kwy 08-17-2013 05:31 PM

I think the car will be aimed more towards the next Nissan Z rather than the GT-R.

The RX-8 was a huge fuck-up by Mazda on so many levels..I really hope it isn't a repeat of that.

Gridlock 08-17-2013 07:19 PM

Introducing the RX-9...sports car front...with a mini-van rear!

Stiig 08-17-2013 07:41 PM