REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
RCMP officer left for dead

Interesting how this story was barely covered by the news, yet when the opposite happens, it's the top story for weeks.

?He was left for dead?: RCMP officer strangled and dumped in ditch beside Alberta highway, bystander says | National Post

Surviving Average: Police and Media.. A Wife's Point of View
Advertisement
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

shit happens. cop should of been prepared better.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,283 Times in 2,503 Posts
Well, it's good news that the officer is in stable condition at the hospital now, but I disagree that officers getting seriously hurt (or dead) on the job don't get much coverage on the media. A few years ago (?) when some guy on an Alberta farm open fired on and killed a bunch of RCMP, it was in the headline news for days, if not longer. There were also people mourning for their loss across the country.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Assuming the dash cam was on , shouldn't be too hard to find who's responsible... Or have I been watching to much cops?
Posted via RS Mobile
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
I STILL don't get it

Not all pc's have dash cams, but I'd imagine they would have record of the member calling in the plate or jamming it on the MDT before getting out of the car.
Oscar_Binswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamix View Post
shit happens. cop should of been prepared better.
another 5 star post courtesy of dinamix

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Well, it's good news that the officer is in stable condition at the hospital now, but I disagree that officers getting seriously hurt (or dead) on the job don't get much coverage on the media. A few years ago (?) when some guy on an Alberta farm open fired on and killed a bunch of RCMP, it was in the headline news for days, if not longer. There were also people mourning for their loss across the country.
If you're talking about the one in Mayerthorpe Alberta where the RCMP were ambushed and 4 cops were killed, OF FUCKING COURSE thats going to make national headlines. it was the worst multiple cop killing in modern canadian history.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Interesting how this story was barely covered by the news, yet when the opposite happens, it's the top story for weeks.
Maybe because it's Alberta news and we have enough problems of our own here in BC? Yeah, a cop getting attacked like that is a bad thing and it's great to hear he'll be okay, but it's not a major catastrophic thing like Mayerthorpe was, and honestly, probably not THAT uncommon.

Also, inb4 the "fuck the popo" squad chime in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Quote:
Unless fratricide TBD
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Maybe because it's Alberta news and we have enough problems of our own here in BC? Yeah, a cop getting attacked like that is a bad thing and it's great to hear he'll be okay, but it's not a major catastrophic thing like Mayerthorpe was, and honestly, probably not THAT uncommon.

Also, inb4 the "fuck the popo" squad chime in.
actually it is uncommon. And for you to compare Mayerthorpe to this......

yea BC has enough problems, but they manage to do full coverage when a female was allegedly "excessively" beaten by an Alberta Sheriff. Seems like a big problem for BC, when the event was in Alberta. Or wait, days of coverage for a Dentist that was practicing illegally... So umm no, BC is not swamped by their own "problems", to fail to cover news from other Provinces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I am not saying they don't get coverage, but it is troubling when you hears story such as:

- cop gets killed by gang member, it's "the risk he takes being a cop"

- cop kills gang member, it's "cop could have used other means to apprehend gang member"
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Don't you know, cops are always the bad guys. All of them are out to get us!!!

FTP #yolo #swag #realnikkuhwassup #surreyplayer
Posted via RS Mobile
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
If you're going to post the links, you might as well quote each article..

Quote:
WANHAM, Alta. — An Alberta RCMP officer is in stable condition in hospital after suffering injuries in an altercation during a traffic stop.

Cpl. Carol McKinley says the officer from the Spirit River detachment responded to a call about an erractic driver on Wednesday afternoon near Wanham, Alta.

She says the altercation took place after the suspect vehicle was stopped.

Truck driver Jonathan Hiscock arrived at the scene soon after and talked with some of the volunteers helping the officer.

“[He] informed me that the officer that was doing a routine stop and … when everything was seeming to be OK, apparently the assailant came out of the vehicle and actually attacked the officer, strangling him, and brought him right into the ditch where the officer was left,” Hiscock told the CBC. “Presumably, he was left for dead.”

“The officer is currently in hospital and we are currently trying to determine how and what occurred,” McKinley told the Edmonton Journal.

As of Wednesday, the officer stayed in hospital in stable condition. McKinley told reporters he is expected him to make a full recovery.

Additional RCMP officers arrived at the scene and the injured officer was flown to a local area hospital by air ambulance.

RCMP are still looking for the person or persons responsible.

Quote:
This week in Alberta a police officer was beaten, left in a ditch, and subsequently airlifted to hospital. He remains in hospital in stable condition days after.

It barely made headlines. In fact, you had to search it out in order to find any information about the incident until days after.

It’s no secret that it’s been a rough few weeks in Alberta. There have been four major incidents leaving three suspects dead, and two in hospital with gunshot wounds.

Alberta is also home to the deadliest police shooting in RCMP history. Mayerthorpe, for most RCMP and their families, brings back the memories and headlines we all watched in shock. Someone wanted to kill the police, and ultimately succeeded in extinguishing four, young, bright, lives.

The whole country reverberated again when in Saskatchewan, two other RCMP were killed not long after, followed closely by a member who lost his life in BC.

And, of course, there are many times officers are injured on the job that never gets reported to the media. Let me be the first to tell you it happens much more often than you think. Luckily for the majority of cases, the RCMP get their man.

I am both a student of journalism, and an RCMP wife. As such, you can imagine the double edge sword with which I read these stories in recent weeks. I was taught that reporting always has to be fair, unbiased, and accurate. However, the reporter’s angle, or sources they choose to use can turn one very cut and dry article, into a slam piece almost unknowingly. It would appear as of late, this seems to be happening more often than not.

A reporter wants to get to the most intimate sources of any story they are covering. Here say never used to be thought of as a reliable source, however more and more you see it used as such in articles.

For example, “I never knew the young man who is accused, but his family says he’s a great, solid, hardworking kind of guy, who just doesn’t have it in him to do this.”

So his family thinks he’s awesome despite the plethora of charges he faces… you don’t say.

You see why I bring this up, is that it almost always happens in a police involved article. Of course the police do not and cannot speak publically about character. It’s as divisive and biased as people are, but the media loves to jump on the random character witness willing to talk all day about what they’ve heard someone say about someone who knows the family well.

I know they want a story, but here’s where the other half of me kicks in.

It’s totally biased and completely unfair to paint the accused/suspect as a family guy who was going about his daily business, and to seemingly juxtapose the police as heartless, cruel, abusers of force.

I can’t help but feel like the media has scapegoated police to the point that we now, as a culture, believe this to be fact.

Police cannot be trusted. They will beat you, and perhaps shoot you for no good reason. They are uneducated, modern day thugs paid to enforce unfair laws and rules to a generally law abiding, and peaceful society.

Uh-huh.

As wives and children of police officers perhaps we are more sensitive to it, but we as a society hear it all the time.

The dickhead police officer that pulled you over for DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL.

The asshole of a cop who didn’t like being called an asshole of a cop.

The police watchdog pages, the petitions against use of force by police, those who video police doing their jobs in attempt to catch a slip-up. The people who are completely terrifying for anyone who loves someone with a badge: The Police Hater. More and more prevalent, they despise everything the police stand for and, like the sad events of Mayerthorpe, and Spiritwood proved, will force those we love to pay the absolute price for wearing the badge.

Then you open a paper, cringe as the headline blasts something awful like “MAN KILLED AT HANDS OF POLICE” and read the articles that accompany the quotes about the stellar attributes of the people it would appear were unjustly accosted by the police.

No one deserves to die. It’s that simple. No police officer wants to have to use deadly force as an option to protect themselves. That’s also simple.

Here’s a piece of unsolicited advice. Don’t do drugs, be in a gang, or party like it’s 1965. Follow these instructions and you’ll probably never have a run in with the police. You don’t often hear about a friendly game of Yahtzee getting interrupted by police tasering them. Just sayin….

I mean I’ll admit to being completely biased, but the police officers I know are the kind of people that volunteer to coach kids, give elderly people their seats, respect those in leadership or professional positions (ie. Nurses, doctors, teachers..), and want to get home without killing someone.

You know, just average kind of guys and girls.

I don’t dispute there are some bad police officers. Like any other profession the people behind the badge are humans. With flaws and faults. I believe that those that made mistakes need to be held accountable. I believe that an inquiry must take place to find out if appropriate action took place in cases of deadly force being used. What I will take issue with, and shout on a mountain top (I am in Alberta after all.. I can totally do it…) is that on the whole, these men and women we ask to protect us are pretty awesome human beings.

What has made it impossible for me to keep quiet, is this unnerving realization that policing is becoming more and more dangerous in a world where the media is claiming to make things more fair. Back to the old chicken and egg conundrum.. which came first?

As a society have we raised children who learn at an early age to dislike and distrust police enough to grow into full blown police haters by adulthood? And is the media simply picking up on the underlying diminishing of respect for police and reporting the stories as thus, OR is the media’s constant reports about police brutality, and dysfunction within the police forces, leaving a taste of utter lack of respect and indifference to the men and women sworn to protect us?

I don’t know the answer. I feel like I’m just here to ask it.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #13

Quote:
actually it is uncommon.
For cops to be injured by perps? Really?

Quote:
And for you to compare Mayerthorpe to this......
You will note I'm NOT the first to bring Mayerthorpe into the thread... and that I'm actually NOT comparing the incidents, but the interest they hold to the media and general public.

There was an incident recently where a cop was killed when his car was hit by a truck. Was in the news here for days. Think it was covered by Alberta media? Not likely.
Quote:
Old 08-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
If you're going to post the links, you might as well quote each article..
It took me a couple reads to understand what she was saying here:
Quote:
Here say never used to be thought of as a reliable source...
Hmmm, a "journalist" who doesn't know the proper use of the term "hearsay"??

Quote:
The asshole of a cop who didn’t like being called an asshole of a cop.
That's one that's always amused me: if the cop really is an asshole, probably the LAST thing you wanna do, is CALL him an asshole.
Quote:
Old 08-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #15
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
For cops to be injured by perps? Really?

You will note I'm NOT the first to bring Mayerthorpe into the thread... and that I'm actually NOT comparing the incidents, but the interest they hold to the media and general public.

There was an incident recently where a cop was killed when his car was hit by a truck. Was in the news here for days. Think it was covered by Alberta media? Not likely.
Yes, really. You must be watching too much COPS. The majority of incidents are handled without ANY physical force at all. And by majority I mean over 95%. And not all incidents that involve physical force results in the police officer being injured or Assaulted in any way. So again, yes, really. Take a quick read at this to get just a general idea..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comme...ticle13809580/

I assure you Alberta covered Cst Oliver's death, along with the rest of Canada. Do you know how many officers from around Canada made their way to Surrey to pay their respects? So again, you are mistaken.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #16
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
if you google this story you get a lot of news results....so i dunno what you mean by this not being covered (add to this happening in the boonies im surprised its been so widely covered)

also the suspect was arrested

Man arrested after Alberta Mountie hurt in roadside attack - Edmonton - CBC News
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

and people complain that they are paid too much...
Old 08-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
if you google this story you get a lot of news results....so i dunno what you mean by this not being covered (add to this happening in the boonies im surprised its been so widely covered)

also the suspect was arrested

Man arrested after Alberta Mountie hurt in roadside attack - Edmonton - CBC News
By barely covered, I meant initially, and how in detail. I know local cops who still have no idea this had happened. And yes I am well aware of the Suspect being apprehended. How many of you knew this happened, compared to the Alberta Sheriff incident?