REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 08-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Gandalf the Grey Squirrel

About a month ago I was sitting on my couch watching tv with my sliding door open when a squirrel causally walked in from my patio and directly to the water dish of my bunny.

At first, I was all "wtf" and then I realized that this little guy literally made a bee-line for the water dish like it wasn't the first time he had done this (our sliding door is often open during the summer). Years ago I rescued a squirrel that was dying of dehydration during a long heat wave and the people at the wildlife rescue told me that squirrels become easily dehydrated in the summer. So, to help this little dude out, I put a bowel of water on the patio him to use...which he did....everyday.

I totally loved seeing him everyday and he seemed more and more comfortable just chilling on my patio so I named him Gandalf. Him and my bunny, Turtle, would sit and stare at each other and seemed to have a "we cool" understanding.

I decided to buy a bag of peanuts for him the other week. I'd leave a few out for him every day and watch him grab them, jump the the tree, and bury them in the front yard. I'd put more peanuts out....and then more peanuts...then I started to shell them and he would sit and eat them on my patio chair. Then he started letting me feed him! Every day, I'd put a little bowl of peanuts out, he'd eat and drink...chill on the patio...sit my big planter and roll around having a dirt bath...clean himself...take a nap, etc. The other day I was feeding him and I got up to answer the phone...I came back and he was digging into the bad of nuts without me.

I see him on the property when I walk to my car and he seems to know its me when I call his name. He will stand up and stare at me, etc. It was pretty damn cute.

So...today, I was making dinner and I looked up through the "pass-through" into our living room to see him napping on my living room chair! I am not sure where we are going to go from here...or whats going to happen in the winter, but its not like I can stop feeding him. He is just so damn cute and I think he knows his name now! Every day its the same thing...peanuts, water, nap He is my little buddy!

gg1.JPG

gg2.JPG

gg3.JPG

gg5.JPG

gg6.JPG
Advertisement
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

More
gg7.JPG

gg8.JPG
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
he's got rabies and he's just waiting for the master squirrel to tell him to strike

StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Should lock him inside next time and keep him for the winter....

Or at least leave food out year round...squirrels aren't exactly smart when they bury their nuts and forget where they've been buried lol

Go find him a wife and have a wedding for them inside the house, it'll be their bestest and warmest winter ever!
Posted via RS Mobile
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

^^ best idea ever!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Tell her stewie, tell her.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Don't squirrels have fleas or something? I'd be weary of wild animals coming into contact with your domesticated pet or yourself.

It's like deer, people don't realize they can carry ticks that spread lyme disease.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,345 Times in 973 Posts
i think it's mofo cute, we have a lot at our house too.

the ONLY thing i worry about is how you would disrupt his habits. no longer will he be able or needing to find food and he'll just rely on you. His "family" will need to fill the void as he is now just a gatherer and his off springs will lack the skills in hunting as your food is always there.

but yes, the pics are cute as hell.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
THATS SO CUTE
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
no longer will he be able or needing to find food and he'll just rely on you. His "family" will need to fill the void as he is now just a gatherer and his off springs will lack the skills in hunting as your food is always there.
sounds like the fuckin life to me!

as long as she keeps feeding them for as long as she lives there, she would probably exponentially boosted the squirrels family tree vs them living on their own haha..

to be able to live any period of time without having to use your honed survival skills is a gift from the divine lol
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I have this big black squirrel on steroids that lives around my house. He climbs up the stucco and rips apart some of the vinyl siding. This squirrel has huge legs, I'm always scared he will jump on my face and rip me a new one.

We like to grow vegetables and have a lot of flowers. He likes to nip at the zucchinis and dig up the flower pots.

One time he ripped open the window screen on the second floor and got in. Someone had to chase him out. My cat's too dumb and inbred to do anything, it gets scared of spiders. (Pure Persian)

He's a jerk.

Your Gandalf dude seems nice though.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
I have this big black squirrel on steroids that lives around my house. He climbs up the stucco and rips apart some of the vinyl siding. This squirrel has huge legs, I'm always scared he will jump on my face and rip me a new one.

We like to grow vegetables and have a lot of flowers. He likes to nip at the zucchinis and dig up the flower pots.

One time he ripped open the window screen on the second floor and got in. Someone had to chase him out. My cat's too dumb and inbred to do anything, it gets scared of spiders. (Pure Persian)

He's a jerk.

Your Gandalf dude seems nice though.
The 2 should mate
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Update:

Gandalf is still coming by once, if not twice a day (morning and evening). Nothing much has changed....still digs the peanuts and drinks his water. I have discouraged him from coming inside but he still manages do climb and sit on the chair some times.

He is pretty damn cute and always makes me smile....will be interested to see what happens when the weather turns. I hope he doesn't think he can chill in my place all winter, lol.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
^

but what if he freezes to death
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
Rs has made me the man i am today!

so how is the little squirrel?
cctw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctw View Post
so how is the little squirrel?
Exactly the same!!

Still comes by everyday....drinks his water, eats his nuts, etc. When he sees that his little peanut bowl is empty, he will come and stand at the window like Oliver Twist wanting more until I go out and fill it. Even during some of the heavy rains a couple weeks ago, he showed up looking like a little drowned rat. Was pretty damn cute.

When our sliding door is open, he will still try and come in but was have discouraged that.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i have always wanted a pet squirrel.. they are like a tiny cat..on meth!

you wouldnt need a tv. computer or game console... just watch the little idiot run around!

ps most random music ever throughout the video.. no joke.. barney and will smith!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
Banned By Establishment

OMG SO CUTE!!!

Gridlock would never allow this to happen, lol.

I had an old boss who rescued and raise a baby squirrel. Had him in the house for a few years then when he hit "puberty" they set him free. He still comes by the off time
Old 11-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

For those still wondering....my little buddy and I are still going strong after 6 or so months.

He is looking a little soggy today as he waits politely for his peanuts

gand1.JPG

gand2.JPG

gand3.JPG

Last edited by dinosaur; 11-02-2013 at 02:02 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
start charging gandalf rent... that will keep him outside lol.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: