REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #76
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Biased opinions from a cop...
You jam to kill with jammers not jam to gun, When used properly you won't arouse suspicion.
Advertisement
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #77
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
If you raised the speed limit on hwy 3 to 110 one of two things will happen. People will travel as fast as they can safely for the road conditions and their vehicles or just plainly kill themselves. Either or its a win-win situation as the good, responsible drivers will get where they need to quicker (time is money) or the poor, wreckless drivers will remove themselves from the gene pool. Speed doesn't kill, bad drivers do and there are already too many in this province, time to cull the herd.
Yeah, no. As Soundy said, not all accidents are single car incidents. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've seen tons of accidents on all of those routes and the majority of them involve more than one car. Does this mean that the people in the other car are then also deemed "poor wreckless [sic] drivers" and deserve to be "culled from the herd?" And as I also mentioned, many of the speed limits are there because there's a higher concentration of wildlife in the area. Travelling at 80km/hr may give you a chance to avoid hitting one, but 110km/hr will cause you to simply hit it without a chance to brake.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #78
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Yeah, no. As Soundy said, not all accidents are single car incidents. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've seen tons of accidents on all of those routes and the majority of them involve more than one car. Does this mean that the people in the other car are then also deemed "poor wreckless [sic] drivers" and deserve to be "culled from the herd?" And as I also mentioned, many of the speed limits are there because there's a higher concentration of wildlife in the area. Travelling at 80km/hr may give you a chance to avoid hitting one, but 110km/hr will cause you to simply hit it without a chance to brake.
What would be ironic is if the one guy who COULDN'T handle the higher speed, lost control, and instead of a pole, ran head-on into Belka...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #79
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
What would be ironic is if the one guy who COULDN'T handle the higher speed, lost control, and instead of a pole, ran head-on into Belka...
I'm not that cruel to think that thought.

Don't forget after the accident, traffic will be blocked for the emergency crew to do their thing. I've been stuck on the Sea to Sky because of an accident. Traffic going both directions were stopped. Luckily for me, on a bike it was easy for me to turn around.

As for doing 140 km/h, this rider sure wished he wasn't going that fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #80
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Canada: Speeding Biker Hits Brown Bear At 87mph - YouTube
And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly why certain sections of these highways have specific speed limits in place. And why they don't raise them in other sections.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #81
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It seems there are 2 groups of people replying to this thread. One are the ones who are not in the area much and ones who are there often enough, to know how bad the area is. I drive in that area quite often during the fall and winter, there is always an accident in that area usually a car ditched etc. I am glad they are enforcing it when the weather is nice, rather than picking up the pieces and closing the damn highway.

My basic rule of the thumb: if you don't know where the cops' favourite speed traps are, you shouldn't speed. Hint: there are only a few places where a cop can successfully hide along that stretch, drive it enough times you will know where they are, heck and even know the cops' coffee schedule (since there aren't that many spots around that area that is open pass 10). Honestly even an over eager super cop like to preserve his life.

I highly doubt that indignant dad knew the road that well. Besides Hope is not middle of nowhere and it is a Highway #3. cops won't let you walk to Hope on a highway, they will wait till a cab come to you.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #82
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
^ Winter is a completely different ball game. If you're driving the coq/hwy 3 in the dead of winter, (SNOW) you should be no where near the speed limit... Let alone speeding...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #83
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly why certain sections of these highways have specific speed limits in place. And why they don't raise them in other sections.
Really?...that's why...to save us from hitting bears

Last edited by Redlines_Daily; 08-22-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #84
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

fuck cops and shit ass traffic laws. seriously, you barely see any fucking accidents on a highway. Most of the crashes are at intersections and shit in the damn city. Speed limit on highways should be raised to 120+. Makes more sense to keep retarded tailgaters causing road rage.
doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #85
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

most accidents that do occur are usually fatal on the hwy ways.
Posted via RS Mobile
dovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #86
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
Really?...that's why...to save us from hitting bears
In a nutshell, yes. There are plenty of sections of these highways that have high concentrations of wildlife that cross the highway. If that biker wasn't going 140, there's a good chance he would have noticed the bear crossing the road and would have avoided hitting it. Remember, these roads aren't like Hwy1, 91 or 99 in and around the GVRD. These highways are in the middle of untamed wilderness. I have long since stopped counting how many times I've seen deer and bears either on the road in front of me or in the ditch beside the highway. Bears are easier to spot at a distance, especially the full grown ones. It's animals like the deer that you often don't spot until it's too late. Hell, even when you see deer you still run the risk of hitting them. I gave a wide berth to one a few years back, as it was running in the ditch alongside the highway. I didn't think it would actually run in front of me, but it veered suddenly and hit the side of my car as I was about to pass it. Left a nasty dent in my passenger side, front fender.

To all of you who are saying the speed limits of these roads need to be increased, how often do you actually drive these roads? Twice a year to go to Kelowna or Penticton, maybe?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #87
Boost Lee

I live in Langley and pretty much am on the hwy most of the time.
I use to live in the middle of Alberta and drove all that province and found the speed limits fine. Driven from Calgary to Golden numerous times on cruises, etc. Hwy 1 west from Calgary has animal tunnels under the hwy where animal deaths by vehicles where very high.
Since living here, I find there are 10x more douche bag drivers in the lower mainland compared to the rest of BC.
1BADMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #88

Quote:
In a nutshell, yes. There are plenty of sections of these highways that have high concentrations of wildlife that cross the highway. If that biker wasn't going 140, there's a good chance he would have noticed the bear crossing the road and would have avoided hitting it. Remember, these roads aren't like Hwy1, 91 or 99 in and around the GVRD. These highways are in the middle of untamed wilderness. I have long since stopped counting how many times I've seen deer and bears either on the road in front of me or in the ditch beside the highway. Bears are easier to spot at a distance, especially the full grown ones. It's animals like the deer that you often don't spot until it's too late. Hell, even when you see deer you still run the risk of hitting them. I gave a wide berth to one a few years back, as it was running in the ditch alongside the highway. I didn't think it would actually run in front of me, but it veered suddenly and hit the side of my car as I was about to pass it. Left a nasty dent in my passenger side, front fender.
My dad was driving his van southbound on Hwy. 97 just south of Prince George many many years ago, doing the speed limit at 80km/h... long, straight, flat highway, tons of forward visibility, but with deep ditches on either side. Four-point mule deer buck came up out of the ditch, completely unseen beforehand... its head hit the grille and apparently caught just beside the right headlight, while the body swung around and impacted dead-center in the side door, leaving a very impressive dent. A smaller car probably would have been obliterated.

We had a neighbor when we lived in the Cariboo, pulled out of his driveway onto Hwy. 24, had accelerated to barely 60km/h (speed limit was 80 there as well) as he rounded a slight curve... and straight into the legs of a moose that was just standing in the middle of the road minding his own business. In a K-car. 800+ pound cow moose literally landed in his lap. Went through years of reconstructive surgery on his face, but never did regain feeling on one side of his face, or full use of his jaw.

Both cases, doing at or under the posted speed limit... both cases, NO time to react - fitness of driver and mechanical condition of the vehicle not even relevant. So don't think that your being a super-skilled driver driving your mechanically-perfect riceburner is going to save you in a situation like that.
Quote:
Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #89

Quote:
It's not cruel... just driving home the point that a stationary object isn't the only thing out there for another lousy driver to hit. It could be another person, another family... or you.
Quote:
Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADMR2 View Post
They should raise the stupid speed limits in BC.
Alberta's speed limits are sensible, BC's are just retarded.
We should start a petition on raising it.
Have you actually driven in Alberta, or are you just parroting what you've heard from your buddies?

I spent a week in Edmonton a couple summers ago, traveling out to Wetaskiwin, Bonnieville, Camrose... all those little straight, flat, utterly desserted highways connecting towns were an 80k speed limit, dropping to 60 anytime you approach an intersection of any kind (even if you don't have a stop). You h
Quote:
Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #91
Banned By Establishment

Quote:

Don't forget after the accident, traffic will be blocked for the emergency crew to do their thing. I've been stuck on the Sea to Sky because of an accident. Traffic going both directions were stopped. Luckily for me, on a bike it was easy for me to turn around.

This is the main reason I don't ride motorbikes, you are pretty much dead if you hit anything at speed. Fuck that.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #92
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Has anyone tried to mount a serious legal challenge to the 40km/h over impound penalty? I just don't understand how they can confiscate a privately owned possession for a traffic offence (i.e. not under the criminal code).
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #93
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Some of the comments are typical of young and inexperienced drivers. I bet the kids making comments about speed limits being too low have never spent a serious amount of time on the number 3.

You can't beat the laws of physics, no matter how good your car is, or how superior you think your reaction time is. There's a reason why speed limits are the way they are and it's not because the government is stupid or trying to grab money.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
Has anyone tried to mount a serious legal challenge to the 40km/h over impound penalty? I just don't understand how they can confiscate a privately owned possession for a traffic offence (i.e. not under the criminal code).
Has anyone tried to mount a serious legal challenge to the illegal parking impound penalty? I just don't understand how they can confiscate a privately owned possession for a parking offence (i.e. not under the criminal code).

Quote:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
There's a reason why speed limits are the way they are and it's not because the government is stupid or trying to grab money.
Posted via RS Mobile
And if you still think it's about a cash grab... just drive the speed limit and stick it to the man RIGHT IN THE WALLET. FIGHT THE POWER!
Quote:
Old 08-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #96
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Smart drivers are the ones who always pay attention to avoid going more than 40 over.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #97
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
But having said that, nothing is more frustrating than following large vehicles who are forced to go under the limit on twisty roads but then speed up in the passing lanes because now suddenly the road opens up. I only wish police could write tickets for this disrespectful driving behaviour instead. Those drivers have no awareness of the other drivers around them. I believe this is the main reason why a high number of drivers get impounded in areas like Hwy 3 and therefore the police should be more lenient (i.e. ticket, but don't tow).
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #98
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
^ That is the most frustrating thing EVER, you follow some idiot who goes ~70 in the 80kmh zones, then as soon as a passing lane appears they go 120 until it ends, then back to ~70.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #99
Boost Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Have you actually driven in Alberta, or are you just parroting what you've heard from your buddies?

I spent a week in Edmonton a couple summers ago, traveling out to Wetaskiwin, Bonnieville, Camrose... all those little straight, flat, utterly desserted highways connecting towns were an 80k speed limit, dropping to 60 anytime you approach an intersection of any kind (even if you don't have a stop). You h
Lived in Alberta for 30 years and no I do not need to parrot anyone.
1BADMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #100
Head Moderator

Poor quality, but:

Front end completely smashed in, looked like a complete write off.

Just kinda reiterating my point earlier about how these highways can be dangerous, especially if you're not paying attention. I'll admit that I've no idea how this guy managed a single car accident, especially since he was in the middle of a long, slow, sweeping curve... though the fact that he had sped by my car a few minutes earlier was probably a good indication as to at least one cause of the accident.

Anyway, drive safe people. This happened a couple clicks east of the Larson Hill exit, meaning this accident was pretty much right in between Merritt and Hope, so any emergency vehicles would have taken at least 20 minutes to get out there. Luckily a couple semi-truck drivers were there when it happened and helped the people in the vehicle.

This was tonight. No idea why the timestamp on the video footage is off by a few days...