REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #151
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

obviously, they are trying to get some financial compensation out of this.

here, have some of these, and STFU.

http://www.mcdonalds.ca/content/dam/...t/BC_YK_EN.pdf

If I was her son, I would tell her to stop embarrassing herself and go take some ESL.
Advertisement
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #152
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
obviously, they are trying to get some financial compensation out of this.

here, have some of these, and STFU.

http://www.mcdonalds.ca/content/dam/...t/BC_YK_EN.pdf

If I was her son, I would tell her to stop embarrassing herself and go take some ESL.
hey those are pretty awesome

thanks, i'll be using these later this week at that very mcdonald's
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #153
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
mcd customer service are pretty bad. some are intentional assholes, some just don't have the skill to multitask and/or memorize.
it's minimum wage, what do you expect? but at the same time ive seen many mcds cashiers that are awesome and have 10x the customer service a nice restaurant would have.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #154
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
@ mr_chin

customer service really depends on what kinda store you're at
franchise vs company...

company store is miles better... franchise worse (but Joe's stores are usually better cause his employees LOVE him, Andy Bates stores are bad at times)

also depends on if you have a full timer or part timer serving you, shit happens and for people getting paid minimum wage you better not have crazy expectations

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #155
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Interesting thread.

The mom really should not have made such a big deal out of a..... drink.

The article mentioned the argument started from getting the wrong drink.

Lets take this point at face value and lets just say... it was actually about correcting a mistake (wrong drink).

Yes, she has the right to definitely get this mistake corrected, but she should not have made such a big deal out of it.

It's a drink.

What I think is that the argument got out of control, and she lost "face" or was embarrassed so she wanted the McD's establishment to apologize for this.

It's not really about language or charter of rights or human rights, etc.

As some posters pointed out, that particular McD's have Mandarin-speaking employees and serves many Chinese-speaking employees and customers.

So, the language barrier reason is moot.

For her, the bottom line was that she lost face and it was embarrassing, in front of the McD's employees and customers.

She knew she made a big mess out of it from a small problem (wrong drink).

I personally think it is human nature to be stubborn and hold onto the notion that you are right (and to present the case to the opposing party), even when you know you are wrong.

I'm sure many of you have experienced this, as the opposing party, and as the stubborn party.

I know I have.

She wanted the McD's to pay, not monetarily, but making them (McD's) lose face and in turn, hopefully, make herself feel better for this.

So, she rolled the dice, took her stubbornness to a higher level, and presented this story to the news agencies, in order to exact humiliation and/or revenge upon McD's.

She used the "language" card, "human rights" card, etc. to do this in order to have the story shown to the public.

If it was a customer service issue, it would not have been in public news... Language discrimination? Subjective racial issues? in CANADA? Well... it did make it to digital news and other media.

There is no basis for this, because that particular McD's actually did have Chinese speaking customers, but news outlets used this story to fill some vacant story space.

And, the end result is that it really made herself look bad, and a poster pointed out she was wearing sunglasses in the article.

If she knew she was 100% right, she need not hide her face.

She believed that her losing face and trying to gain it back trumped any notions of principles (on trying to get the wrong drink corrected).

Last edited by Marshall Placid; 08-26-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #156
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Lightyears ago, I used to work at club monaco and mainalnder mom's would come in, find something that's on sale for $10-20 and say, "damaged! damaged! how much?!!" LOL they were trying to get an even bigger dsicount just for a racerback tank.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #157
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Lightyears ago, I used to work at club monaco and mainalnder mom's would come in, find something that's on sale for $10-20 and say, "damaged! damaged! how much?!!" LOL they were trying to get an even bigger dsicount just for a racerback tank.
first thing that came to mind...damaged...half price!!

stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #158
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
And, the end result is that it really made herself look bad, and a poster pointed out she was wearing sunglasses in the article.

If she knew she was 100% right, she need not hide her face.

She believed that her losing face and trying to gain it back trumped any notions of principles (on trying to get the wrong drink corrected).
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #159
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

We need some chinese non-mainlanders to go to Mcdicks and hold up signs that say "GTFO" and "ESL?" so people know that its the mainlanders that are making us chinese look bad....seriously.

S-exy
U-ber
P-owerful
R-aw
A-nimal
SupraMan604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #160
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
fuck with them for fun, put all the menu's in Chinese and have no workers there who speak it, or put menus in French, watch them try to pronounce the words and have 2000 cases like this one within a 24 hour period.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #161
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
yeah from my understanding hongers dont exist in vancouver/richmond no more... they have already blended in with the cbc
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #162
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
Of course, getting an apology from the owner demands that you do not wear sunglasses.

And, the only sensible solution for the owner is to publicly apologize, which he did.

So, that is to be expected, and that was what happened.

Conclusion: woman gains face publicly (at least, I am assuming that was what she thought she accomplished), but still made a fool of herself (and she probably knows herself), and the McD owner saved himself from a mini-publicity fiasco.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:50 AM   #163
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Spoiler!

I'm sure most of you know that I'll be one of the last people to say this, especially since I'm fairly tolerant of different cultures and their way of life, but.... fuck. The one thing that I can't stand is the whole "face" issue. "Gotta look good in front of everyone, even if it means spending every last penny to rent an expensive house and car and survive on Ramen noodles." Or, "So-and-so embarrassed me, so I'm gonna get them back by humiliating them through the media." Or some other such trivial bullshit like that. Who fucking cares what your neighbours think about you? I couldn't care less if my neighbour comes home in a Pinto or an S-Class, or if they rent a basement suite in East Vancouver or own a house on the UBC Endowment Lands. Trying to make yourself look better in front of people who don't know you and couldn't give a fuck about you past the half-second glance they give you just confuses me and makes me want to

In fact, knowing that someone is trying to make themselves appear "better" than they really are makes me even less inclined to take the facade at face (haha!) value. If they're willing to lie about that, chances are they're willing to lie about something even more personal... and that shit I don't tolerate.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #164
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
If you ever wondered why there are so many bad drivers in Richmond and Hong Kong and China, a lot of it has to do with face. I have seen people speed up in order NOT to let people in front of them, or if someone goes in front of them anyway, they speed up and tailgate them, or worse, speed in front of them and slam their brakes... That is ALL because of "face"

Also I thought of this story today when I had to go to Uniqlo to pick something up... The staff couldn't communicate with me very well, and were SO apologetic.. I felt like such a scumbag that they had to apologize because I don't know Japanese... I am the one who should be apologizing! That's when I thought of this cunt, and how she reacted to basically the same thing
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #165
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post

I'm sure most of you know that I'll be one of the last people to say this, especially since I'm fairly tolerant of different cultures and their way of life, but.... fuck. The one thing that I can't stand is the whole "face" issue. "Gotta look good in front of everyone, even if it means spending every last penny to rent an expensive house and car and survive on Ramen noodles." Or, "So-and-so embarrassed me, so I'm gonna get them back by humiliating them through the media." Or some other such trivial bullshit like that. Who fucking cares what your neighbours think about you? I couldn't care less if my neighbour comes home in a Pinto or an S-Class, or if they rent a basement suite in East Vancouver or own a house on the UBC Endowment Lands. Trying to make yourself look better in front of people who don't know you and couldn't give a fuck about you past the half-second glance they give you just confuses me and makes me want to

In fact, knowing that someone is trying to make themselves appear "better" than they really are makes me even less inclined to take the facade at face (haha!) value. If they're willing to lie about that, chances are they're willing to lie about something even more personal... and that shit I don't tolerate.
This save face thing is deeply rooted in Asian cultures and it is not always a bad thing. Hard to explain. She probably grew up in a dog eat dog environment where it's every person for themselves and fuck everyobdy else.

She just couldn't deal with her inadequacies in a civilized manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Also I thought of this story today when I had to go to Uniqlo to pick something up... The staff couldn't communicate with me very well, and were SO apologetic.. I felt like such a scumbag that they had to apologize because I don't know Japanese... I am the one who should be apologizing! That's when I thought of this cunt, and how she reacted to basically the same thing
In Japanese culture, putting oneself's interest above others is somewhat of a sin. To inconvenience others and being thoughtless makes one look like an uncivilized individual and brings shame. Having said that though, they are not always like that when not in public - amongst friends and family, a different story. Again, hard to explain.

-------------------
BTW, off topic, but if I looked like her (picture without sunglasses), I'd be all pissy, too. Some people just look angry and miserable even when they are smiling....... not that she's smiling very much. I don't like it when people wear sunglasses (cannot see eyes), but in this case, she needs to wear them 24/7 - ugly inside and out. She's not quite as bad as Integra girl, but close.

EDIT: I just saw pic again........ Joe is giving the woman the Obama handshake. The subtle, "I have control of situation" shake - where you put other hand over the other person's. It's a politician's handshake, too, so who knows.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 08-27-2013 at 05:05 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #166
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Yeah it's definitely a work thing.. like a lot conceptions we have about japanese culture, it's a facade. Still, it felt kind of bad and it reminded me of this dumb fuck
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #167
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
am i the only one that thinks the owner looks like the guy from law & order?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #168
Need my Daily Fix of RS

don't mind my paint skills
ZordosZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #169
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Prepare for more issue like this
http://www.revscene.net/forums/68757...e-college.html
Soon it will happen to all major chain stores and not just fast food.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #170
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Yeah it's definitely a work thing.. like a lot conceptions we have about japanese culture, it's a facade. Still, it felt kind of bad and it reminded me of this dumb fuck
Werd. Doesn't matter if it's a facade, it's still the correct facade.

I very much prefer the notion of people holding their tongues and emotions despite thinking they're correct, superior, etc, rather than the opposite which is the case in question.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #171
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
I have seen people speed up in order NOT to let people in front of them, or if someone goes in front of them anyway, they speed up and tailgate them, or worse, speed in front of them and slam their brakes... That is ALL because of "face":
Having driven in Richmond nearly all my life, I have experienced the above actions far more in Vancouver and from non-chinese nationalities than Chinese in Richmond.

A large portion of these encounters are with large pickup trucks or large SUV's. Some of them sporting big chrome rims.

Most incidents in Richmond are less outright aggressive, and more passive aggressive. Things like cutting across two lanes to make a turn without any consideration to other drivers, or stopping in the middle of the street and waiting to pick up or drop off somebody.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #172
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Feels like an adult throwing temper tantrums in public
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #173

Cant wait until this situation is one-upped, now that mcd's bent over and apologized. Whats next? "Someone didn't speak mandarin to me at McDonalds, I couldn't order. I then went home, without food. I tried to work on my essay, but I was malnourished. This resulted me in not getting an A+. My family has disowned me, I want McDonalds to reimburse my loses"
Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #174
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
Cant wait until this situation is one-upped, now that mcd's bent over and apologized. Whats next? "Someone didn't speak mandarin to me at McDonalds, I couldn't order. I then went home, without food. I tried to work on my essay, but I was malnourished. This resulted me in not getting an A+. My family has disowned me, I want McDonalds to reimburse my loses"
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #175
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Just like no one in Richmond would admit to be a bad driver, new immigrants won't dare to admit they can't speak English (not to mention lack of English proficiency would affect their chance of immigration). That's why it is a non issue other than forums like this one, which is populated by mostly second generation Asian Canadians.

Honestly the people who should stir the pot should be people who complainded about the Chinese signs in Richmond, they would have the most to gain if they deftly exploit this incident.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote