REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 08-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Honda Warranty Regarding Dash Cams

Just got my first car (accord coupe). I was wanting to install a dash cam in but wanted it being hardwired rather then plugging it in.

Anyone know if this effects the Warranty on my car at all by any chance?

Its a new car and everything, so id rather not accidentally void part of my warranty for w/e reason..

Thanks!
Advertisement
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Best bet to call your dealer or even walk in and get it in writing!

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

wouldn't be any different than if you had an alarm installed elsewhere
Old 08-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Honestly it depends how the camera is wired. If the camera is wired eg:

Horrible scenario: Butcher main wire harness to tap 12V and frayed other wires.. of course anything electrically that is connected to the main wire harness eg ECU etc won't be covered under warranty.

Normal scenario: You use a Fuse tap on a spare fuse slot and run a separate wire from the fusebox up. At most even if the fuse tap melted destroyed the fuse slot, the other slots are just fine.. then the warranty other than that spare fuse slot should be fine. Fuse taps if you don't know, are these: Medium ATM Fuse TAP ADD ON Dual Circuit Adapter Auto CAR Auto Terminals 20A Fuse | eBay

I think it depends on more HOW you instal the camera.. more than a blanket statement just on dash cams.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
contact ASR on this board.. if you didn't already....

he will sell you a real good dashcam and do the install correctly and provide you with support.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #6

Thanks. I'll be picking up my car tomorrow and be sure to ask the dealership regarding this.
Also I've given ASR a pm, hopefully he will be back from China soon.

Edit - Talked to Honda, they said it shouldn't be a problem as long as I'm not splitting anywires and what not.

Last edited by MelonBoy; 08-28-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #7

Instead of making a new thread..

Anyone know much about Fabric protection or how to clean fabric seats??

The dealership mentioned a Care/Protection Package that came with random stuff like rust, fabric, paint, wax etc protection..
I opted out assuming I could get it done else where for a cheaper price.

Some opinions on if its worth it to get any of this done?
How does fabric protection actually work??

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

With fabric protection they just spray something like Scotch Guard onto the seats to protect them from stains.

Scotchgard Upholstery Protector | Canadian Tire
Old 09-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
Instead of making a new thread..

Anyone know much about Fabric protection or how to clean fabric seats??

The dealership mentioned a Care/Protection Package that came with random stuff like rust, fabric, paint, wax etc protection..
I opted out assuming I could get it done else where for a cheaper price.

Some opinions on if its worth it to get any of this done?
How does fabric protection actually work??

Thanks.
Doesn't do much. You can really just do it yourself.

DO NOT purchase the paint/fabric protection package. It's a ripoff really. There's no reason a Lower Mainland car would need it.

Also. YES. You WILL void warranty for electronic related items in your dash/cabin if you hard wire it.

I used to work for Honda/Acura.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #10

FML. Some rookie ass cunt hit my car while I was parked at metro.. Took off my front plate and scratched the bumper. God dam.. Its hasn't even been a month.

Scratch isnt to bad, dont really notice it from afar..
Problem is the plate was ripped off and I'm assuming the threading for the hole is damage to shit..

Anyone know how much it would cost to put the plate back on..?

(It looks like a easy job, I dont want to pay 300deductble if possible)

Really wished I installed that dash now..
Old 09-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
Doesn't do much. You can really just do it yourself.

DO NOT purchase the paint/fabric protection package. It's a ripoff really. There's no reason a Lower Mainland car would need it.

Also. YES. You WILL void warranty for electronic related items in your dash/cabin if you hard wire it.

I used to work for Honda/Acura.
I agree, do it your self with a can of scotch guard. Really isn't any different.

And it could void the warranty for electronic related items in the dash if you hard wire it.
For example, say the camera was tapped into the wiper circuit,(for ignition signal or whatever) and a door lock actuator went. Then i wouldn't say it was related, and would be warrantied.
If the wipers acted up, then yes. Related. HOWEVER. Here's where it comes to the discretion of the tech and or service advisor. If we see the customer is a regular servicing customer and "nice guy. or girl and hot" then the advisor could beg and plead the tech to turn a blind eye at the whole dash cam stuff and re-word the whole story and push it through warranty.

I still work for Honda. But could get trouble for this. So i prefer to stay unanimous
Old 09-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
Scratch isnt to bad, dont really notice it from afar..
Problem is the plate was ripped off and I'm assuming the threading for the hole is damage to shit..

Anyone know how much it would cost to put the plate back on..?.
Got a pic?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #13

The bastard gave me his/her number.. but he hasnt picked up or called me back for a week!! Pretty sure hes screening my calls because it rings a different amount of times each time. Also gives me a voice mail saying this persons voice mail isnt set up. Please let the person know or seomthing..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5631.JPG (47.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5630.JPG (44.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5629.JPG (42.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
You shouldn't have waited a week...

I would have called the police for a hit and run, and given them that number s/he left.

Also, if I were you now, I'd claim with ICBC for hit/run, pay the $300 deductible, and get them to repair the bumper, and NOT drill the holes. You can relocate your front plate somewhere and go for a much cleaner look.

There are a bunch of variables, but it's what I'd do if circumstances allowed it.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #15

^

I called each day after. Plus a called ICBC, they cant do shit except report it as hit/run. The 2 reps I talked to told me to try get the guys info first.

Anyways, I got it done without putting in a claim. Only cost me $50. Changed the screws and added washer & bolt at the back to keep it up. It looks good, almost like nothing ever happened
Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #16

Quick question.

My tire pressure sign turned on almost 2 weeks ago. I checked it when it first lit up, my recommended PSI for all tires are 33. At my friends place I checked it with a manual gauge. The readings were about 34-35psi.

Fast forward to today, I bought a new pressure gauge and gave it a quick check today.
Front 2 were about 35-36psi and back 2 were dead on 35psi..

Is it safe to assume there isn't any holes in my tire? (it would have deflated a bit at least with a week or so of driving right..?)

Options
1) Re-check tire pressure, hit the reset calibrate option on my dash. (hopefully the light turns off and nothings wrong)
2) Bring into dealer (My original dealership chilliwack would do it for free, but I called 2 closer dealerships and they would charge me around $60)
Old 10-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #17
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Just reset it, if you're sure they're properly inflated (which it sounds like you did)

If it keeps coming on, sensor may be bad. Should be under warranty if it's a new car, at any Honda dealership (although I may be wrong about this)
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #18
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

tpms detects too low or too much of PSI and not holes. If the psi is about dead on to factory spec then it would be a faulty tpms or possibly even a flat spare tire. Newer cars have tpms even in spare tires. Now did u check the tire pressures after u drove the car or when it was cooled down? higher temperature raises the pressure so recheck the tire pressure when they are cooled down and adjust to proper specifications. As for warranty, i believe inv4zn is right. Warranty should be covered within all dealerships in B.C or even Canada. Did u also mention to the closer dealers that the car is still new and that its still under warranty?
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #19

^^
Ill try to reset it tmr and double check the pressure before I drive it

^
Ya, I mentioned it was a 2013 accord and I only bought it 1 month ago. The guy told me it would cost me $$ just to even check the dam thing..
Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #20
RS controls my life!

oohh...didn't realize it was 2013. It doesn't use air pressure sensors in the tires. I reads off the individual speed sensors. Look inthe owners manual, and try calibrating the tpms system