REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Lol even some of the buses go over 50km on a 50 road.
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
This city is very anti-car, this wont change in the next decade... I used t enjoy living here, but each day my enjoyment is taken away from me little by little, and the level of frustration in just doing stuff increases

Such a shame, we have such a beautiful position in the world, but that clearly attracted the retards here a number of years ago

Such a shame
Yeah I hate vancouver now. I used to be able to drive 50 above speed limit and won't get suspension or impound.

I used to be able to drink and drive and the worst consequences was going to the drunk tank with 24 hour suspension.

Fuck vancouver.

mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Is this woman just clueless? she needs to get out of her bubble and stop being so arrogant for thinking this would work province-wide

You can practically get anywhere in Victoria in 15 minutes and many people drive super slow. According to Wikipedia, the city only has a population of around 80,000.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #29
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I wonder how this will impact cities like Kelowna, Vernon, Salmon Arm (hell, almost all of the Interior cities) where the highway actually goes straight through the centre of them. I'm assuming they'd change the limits for these places to fit a higher speed, but... ugh. BC is a hell of a lot bigger than just the GVRD, people.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #30
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Back streets in Burnaby (at least in my neighborhood) are all 40. And there are a quintrillion signs to remind you of the speed limits, and also that they end at Hastings street.

I would love to see the cost on those, and what the cost:benefit was that Burnaby used to decide to implement this.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #31

Thanked 2,035 Times in 548 Posts
i Thought any street without a center line is 40kph, any with one is 50kph unless specified.... I personally dont think it will affect us that much.

I mean most of us just kind of drive with the flow of traffic anyways... I mean I drive on marine drive (from vancouver to bby) around 7:45AM everyday monday to friday...annnnnnnnd i get passed all the time and I do 70 on there in the slow lane ....

my 0.02

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #32
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
so go from 30-45min to get to work to an 1.5 - 2 hours to get to work....and then back again.

might as well just put up a tent at work lol.

unless she's willing to pay me for the hours I waste in traffic, she can go squat on a bed post.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #33
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
This. The BC government just doesn't like cars. With carbon tax rates and ever expanding bike lanes, it feels like they're giving a big FU to drivers.
Posted via RS Mobile
The whole world has to go anti cars eventually to survive. Eventually they'll be relegated to luxury items... Kind of sucks but we have to adapt... it's kind of what we do.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #34
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
The whole world has to go anti cars eventually to survive. Eventually they'll be relegated to luxury items... Kind of sucks but we have to adapt... it's kind of what we do.
If the infrastructure supports a car-free environment, I'm all for cars becoming a luxury / play item. The problem is, Vancouver's public transit SUCKS. How can residents adapt when the infrastructure isn't there to support them?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #35

^^ I'd only take transit IF I lived in walking distance to a skytrain station, and my work was walking distance from a skytrain station.

if not, theres really no incentive for me to take transit. I don't enjoy waking up an hour early to bus hop to jump on a train to bus hop some more to get to work, and do it all over again on the way home...id rather pay the few bucks in gas and go directly from point A to B.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #36
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
If the infrastructure supports a car-free environment, I'm all for cars becoming a luxury / play item. The problem is, Vancouver's public transit SUCKS. How can residents adapt when the infrastructure isn't there to support them?
Clearly they need better infrastructure then. I have been relying on public transport for 7 years in Hong Kong (almost exclusively buses in the last 2), and I have relatively few complaints. I would still like to have a car for leisure, but I definitely would prefer public transport over taking it to work every day.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #37
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
^^ I'd only take transit IF I lived in walking distance to a skytrain station, and my work was walking distance from a skytrain station.

if not, theres really no incentive for me to take transit. I don't enjoy waking up an hour early to bus hop to jump on a train to bus hop some more to get to work, and do it all over again on the way home...id rather pay the few bucks in gas and go directly from point A to B.
Busses can be more efficient than the skytrain.

Also, "A few bucks in gas"...and a couple hundred a month in insurance, a thousand or two a year in maintenance, tens of thousands up front OR hundreds a month in loan payments...

But yeah. A few bucks in gas.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #38
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Fail, this publicity seeker just wanted to tell all of BC that she drives a Porsche!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #39
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Clearly they need better infrastructure then. I have been relying on public transport for 7 years in Hong Kong (almost exclusively buses in the last 2), and I have relatively few complaints. I would still like to have a car for leisure, but I definitely would prefer public transport over taking it to work every day.
For most regular day-to-day life, I am sure public transit would work for the majority of people in London, Paris, Hong Kong, Taipei, and maybe even in Montreal. But Vancouver isn't anything like that. Public transit in Vancouver is dramatically better than it used to be, but it still sucks for the most part.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Busses can be more efficient than the skytrain.

Also, "A few bucks in gas"...and a couple hundred a month in insurance, a thousand or two a year in maintenance, tens of thousands up front OR hundreds a month in loan payments...

But yeah. A few bucks in gas.
i will gladly pay every cent towards that if I can get from point A to B faster then public transit, then it makes my life easier which in return makes my life happier.

I plan on buying a house in maple ridge in the next few years, so waking up at 5am to bus and train/bus again just to get to work by 7am, spend 8 hours outdoors doing physically hard work, just to spend another 2-3 hours getting home in rush hour traffic while on public transit would just destroy my day and make my life a miserable hell. i don't plan on changing my job anytime soon as its a job i went to school for and actually like/comes with damn good benefits plan and amazing union. id have to wake up at 5am and not get home till 6pm if not a bit longer/possibly a bit less. id basically get home, feed my dogs, make dinner, then go straight to bed. im not gonna let that happen to me. if I had kids id never see them except for weekends..by the time id get home they'd be in bed (infant) or they'd be going to bed within 2-3 hours(younger kids 4-8ish). so im sticking with my vehicles. personal choice.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #41
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
Fail, this publicity seeker just wanted to tell all of BC that she drives a Porsche!

This is just retarded. I mean most people who aren't complete asshats don't go ripping down small residential streets at 50 just because thats what the limit is, and if they do these are the types of people that will continue to do so after this stupid law is implemented.

So effectively what this means is nothing in terms of actual driving style will be affected, which means no benefits, and the province will end up spending millions on 50KPH & 60KPH signs for roads like marine, willingdon, kingsway, knight, etc. etc.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #42
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
why are they lowering it to 40km/h?

more speeding ticket revenue?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #43
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB7 View Post
Vancouver drivers are retarded. I see at least 2-3 fucked up shit from my commute around Richmond daily. I don't think decreasing the speed limit is going to benefit most people, instead they should make sure people know how to drive with more rigorous tests for both automatic and manual separately. They should also subsidize dash cams and promote them within their respective communities. Too many people get away with driving like total asshats on the road and I would be so happy if the trend was towards safe and responsible driving (doesn't mean you can't have fun....) and such.
Posted via RS Mobile
For some reason in Canada and USA, cops don't like drive recorder.
If you go on YouTube, when people get pulled over, cops tend to yell "Turn it off!!!"

In Japan, however, having a drive recorder is more like a mandatory thing especially for commercial vehicles. In fact, they'll get lower insurance rate and stuff if you have a drive recorder.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #44
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
For some reason in Canada and USA, cops don't like drive recorder.
If you go on YouTube, when people get pulled over, cops tend to yell "Turn it off!!!"
Spoiler!

The problem with provincially mandated speed limits is that while there are no doubt many roads in BC where the speed limit should be 40 instead of 50, there are just as many where they should be 60-80 instead. Although if the default speed is dropped down perhaps that would force some of the municipalities to increase the main thoroughfares to a more reasonable speed. For example in Chilliwack I routinely drive down Evans Road, which has a long stretch of 4 lanes plus bike lanes and sidewalks on either side in a half agricultural area and the speed limit is 50. Narrow, no shoulder, no sidewalk, etc high pedestrian areas, sure - 40. Everywhere else probably needs some degree of reanalysis.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #45
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Man.. Richmond is bad enough driving around with a 50km speed limit. I can't imagine how backed up No.3 road would be with a 40km/h limit.. Line up would be from city hall to like yaohan centre
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #46
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Actually, to me this will not affect the majority of the drivers. They will still be doing 50+ on a regular basis just a better chance to give a speeding ticket and someone doing 80 on Westminister Hwy will now get excessive and impounded.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #47
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
i will gladly pay every cent towards that if I can get from point A to B faster then public transit, then it makes my life easier which in return makes my life happier.

I plan on buying a house in maple ridge in the next few years, so waking up at 5am to bus and train/bus again just to get to work by 7am, spend 8 hours outdoors doing physically hard work, just to spend another 2-3 hours getting home in rush hour traffic while on public transit would just destroy my day and make my life a miserable hell. i don't plan on changing my job anytime soon as its a job i went to school for and actually like/comes with damn good benefits plan and amazing union. id have to wake up at 5am and not get home till 6pm if not a bit longer/possibly a bit less. id basically get home, feed my dogs, make dinner, then go straight to bed. im not gonna let that happen to me. if I had kids id never see them except for weekends..by the time id get home they'd be in bed (infant) or they'd be going to bed within 2-3 hours(younger kids 4-8ish). so im sticking with my vehicles. personal choice.
And for those who can make the personal choice, that's totally awesome. I plan on getting a car again (it'll be number six), mainly because I don't work DT anymore and while I don't need it, it'll make my life easier.

But in your explanation I saw more than just a choice of a car--you're keeping your job in a place you don't like living (a choice). You're choosing to move away so you can own a home rather than rent (a choice). All of these things are personal choices, and as long as we have the earning power that's awesome. But public transit isn't and shouldn't be billed as "a choice equal to a car". Lots of people can't afford cars, either because of the upfront or because of the continuing costs--as a result, they have to spend a lot of time (as you've mentioned before). Providing subsidies which allow those people to maximize their own time will allow them to live better lives and will help them and everyone else.

Ever felt so tired after work that you just decided to say "fuck it" and order pizza instead of cooking? Not a choice for a lot of people--they need to spend their time cooking afterwards because they haven't enough money to adjust for the time they spend. "Just get a better job" "go back to school and learn something".

and so on. Getting a better job for some people is a choice--not a choice everyone has. I'm pretty sure if people could choose a better life they wouldn't work as janitorial staff cleaning up other people's shit, or working at McDick's dealing with your drunk ass thinking it's hilarious to order a whopper FIVE TIMES while you're smashed out of your mind and then decide to puke either on the floor in front of the counter or in their bathroom.

We should be glad that we have the opportunity to make choices, and do our best to pass that opportunity on to others.

[/socialist rant]
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #48

Really? 40km?
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #49
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
What needs to happen is ICBC needs to be way more stringent when it comes to international drivers. It is ridiculous that "students" can use the foreign DL for the whole time they are here for school. No testing, nothing, and they bring over these DL's that is near impossible to prove is real, since there is nowhere we can go to compare the validity of them. I don't understand why ICBC does not make it mandatory for all driver's that are residing in BC for longer than a month, but are still visiting, to obtain some kind of valid short term licence.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #50
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
(remember this is someone's observation and can't be taken for validity)
Actually, by her own admission during an interview on CFAX1070 in Victoria, Gudgeon has had her licence suspended due to too many speeding and other violations.

The Saanich based group "Community advocates for reduced speed" are also behind this push.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote