REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Move out Clean requirements

I thought about PMing dinosaur on this, but thought I'd open it up for the rest of RS and perhaps let this be a resource for other renters as well.

But I am moving out in 2 days and I have my move out inspection tomorrow along with cleaners coming in to clean tomorrow.

My landlord cannot be here for the move out inspection, so he is having his real estate agent to the walk through with me.

His real estate agent has been showing my apartment as my landlord has decided to sell this property, so he has a rough idea of what the condition of my suite is.

So yesterday he sent me a list of things that he would like me to address, some of the usual stuff which I already have hired cleaners for..but some of the stuff on there seems um.. unreasonable....such as
1. Furniture professional steam cleaned
2. Balcony powerwashed
3. Blinds steam cleaned
4. Baseboards around the house fully wiped down
5. All burnt out light bulb replaced

I obviously will have my cleaners do all the usual stuff such as cleaning the fridge, oven, cupboards, mop the floors, windows, bathrooms etc...but some of the stuff he is asking is not what I'm used to for a 'move out' clean.

I just want to know if his requests are reasonable....please advise
Advertisement
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Yes, it is.

If you have been in your place for 12 or more months, you are required to steam clean carpets, furniture (if it was furnished), and properly clean drapery as per landlord instructions.

In regards to power washing patio, if this requires machine rental, etc ask the landlord if you can borrow one theirs. If not, ask him if hand washing is sufficient.

At the end of the day, if they tell you to clean it, you need to clean it.

Also, not sure why you find cleaning baseboards as unreasonable....that is the one thing people always leave dirty and let me tell you, they get dirty.

Tenants are also responsible for light bulbs and fuse during their tenancy and therefore are expected to have all in working order.

Here is a sample list that I had out:
Quote:
KITCHEN
• Oven
• Stovetop
• Range hood
• Countertop
• Sink
• Faucet
• Cupboards inside
• Cupboard outside
• Drawers inside
• Drawers outside
• Fridge inside
• Fridge outside
• Fridge top
• Freezer
• Backsplash
• Plugs
• Switches
• Floor
• Grout
• Window glass
• Window ledge & trim
• Blinds/Curtains
• Walls
LIVING ROOM
• Floor
• Walls
• Plugs
• Switches
• Window glass
• Window ledge & trim
• Baseboards
• Floor heaters
• Blinds/Curtains
BEDROOM(S)
• Floor
• Walls
• Plugs
• Switches
• Window glass
• Window ledge & trim
• Baseboards
• Floor heaters
• Blinds/Curtains
• Closet doors
• Closet shelving
• Bedroom door
BATHROOM
• Bathtub
• Shower walls and grout
• Faucet & Shower head
• Shower ceiling
• Toilet
• Sink
• Faucet
• Vanity drawers
• Vanity cupboards
• Countertop
• Mirror
• Medicine cabinet
• Plugs
• Switches
• Towel & toilet paper holder
• Floor
• Bathroom door
• Walls
• Baseboards
HALLWAYS/FOYER
• Walls
• Closet doors
• Closet shelving
• Floor
• Baseboards
• Plugs
• Switches
• Floor heaters
BALCONY/PATIO
• Floor
• Window and window tracks
STORAGE
• Cleared of belongings

FURTHER INFORMATION

• As per the Residential Tenancy Act, at the end of the tenancy the tenant will be held responsible for steam cleaning or shampooing the carpets and furniture after a tenancy of one year. Where the tenant has deliberately or carelessly stained the carpet or furniture he or she will be held responsible for cleaning the carpet at the end of the tenancy regardless of the length of tenancy.

• Furthermore, the tenant may be expected to steam clean or shampoo the carpets at the end of a tenancy, regardless of the length of tenancy, if he or she, or another occupant, has had pets which were not caged or if he or she smoked in the premises.

• The tenant is expected to leave the internal window coverings clean when he or she vacates. The tenant should check with the landlord before cleaning in case there are any special cleaning instructions. The tenant is not responsible for water stains due to inadequate windows.

• The tenant may be liable for replacing internal window coverings, or paying for their depreciated value, when he or she has damaged the internal window coverings deliberately, or has misused them e.g. cigarette burns, not using the "pulls", claw marks, etc.

• The tenant is expected to clean the internal window coverings at the end of the tenancy regardless of the length of the tenancy where he or she, or another occupant smoked in the premises.

Your security deposit will be released within 15 days of you vacating the property, providing a forwarding address, and confirmation that all utility accounts have been paid in full and closed.

If at any time you have any questions regarding the above information, please do not hesitate to make contact with us.

Thank you,

Building Management.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #3

Thanks dinosaur!

This is my 3rd time moving out of an unit.
The first time the property manager gave me a similar list to yours or anoption to pay $300 to have her cleaner do it, and she'll be happy, so I went w/ the latter option.

The 2nd time, my landlord was really chill, but I still hired a cleaning company to clean the whole unit, 2 bedroom suite w/ carpet cleaning ended up costing $700ish.

This is my first time moving out of a fully furnished suite though, so yea not really sure how clean everything needs to be. But I guess I'll pass your list off to the cleaning company and they should be able to take care of it for me.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

No problem
Old 08-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

it should all be written on your tenancy agreement. I'm sure you signed one and have a copy from when you moved in
negative.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Cleaning instructions do no need to be written in your tenancy agreement.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Tenants are also responsible for light bulbs and fuse during their tenancy and therefore are expected to have all in working order.
i've always wondered about the light bulb thing.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #8

Just went to home depot and bought a dozen light bulbs today to replace all the burnt out ones.
Told the cleaners that I need all the furnitures steam cleaned and such...
I really hope my landlord's real estate agent isn't going to be a dick tmr....
The landlord doesn't really have any "damage deposit", since I paid him 12month rent in 1 lump sum, and I breaking a 2 year lease agreement 11month into the lease, so we agreed upon 1 month rent as "penalty" for breaking the lease early.
So I guess even if the real estate agent said the place isn't "clean enough", I 'could' just walk away.....or can the landlord come after me for additional cleaning cost he incurred if there is any?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Cleaning instructions do no need to be written in your tenancy agreement.
you are supposed to leave the unit in the condition you received it, minus "normal wear and tear"

So op if all this cleaning was done prior to you moving in, then you are required to do it before moving out. However if any of this was not done before moving in, ie. dust on floorboards, deck not pressure washed, blinds dirty, then you have no obligation to clean them.
negative.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
So I guess even if the real estate agent said the place isn't "clean enough", I 'could' just walk away.....or can the landlord come after me for additional cleaning cost he incurred if there is any?
Yes. He can take you to court and collect any money he is out. This happens all the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative.one View Post
you are supposed to leave the unit in the condition you received it, minus "normal wear and tear"

So op if all this cleaning was done prior to you moving in, then you are required to do it before moving out. However if any of this was not done before moving in, ie. dust on floorboards, deck not pressure washed, blinds dirty, then you have no obligation to clean them.
Not really. This applies mostly to damage, not cleaning unless there has been a specific 'on paper' record.

If there is a piece of shit on the carpet when you move in, you can't take a shit on the carpet before you move out and expect that not to be an issue. Regardless of whatever condition the carpets and blinds/curtains are when you move in, if it is 12 months or longer, you are required to clean.

If you happen to move into a unit that is dirty, most of the time the landlord with "pay" you to clean it. Unless there is a very detailed record made of how dirty the apt was before you moved in, that excuse won't hold up in court should it end up there.

This is the oldest excuse in the book. Every tenant I have taken to court says, "it wasn't clean when I moved in". You'd think they would come up with something better. And, every damn time, they lose.

But, like I said, damage is different.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #11

While I just settle the bill w/ the cleaning company...
$800 to clean the suite...imo the unit is pristine, only thing we couldn't do was the outside glass/window on the patio...so hopefully the ral estate agent doesn't give me shit for that.

All furniture was steam cleaned.
All blinds, floor boards and walls are washed
Every drawer and every piece of flatwear/plate etc was wiped down.
The place is in 50X better condition than I moved in....

When I moved in, the last tenant left in a hurry, while he didn't leave the place "dirty" he left a ton of stuff that he didn't want, and at the time I wasn't picky cause I was paying. $200/night at a hotel and just wanted to move in asap.
As far as I can rmb, the patio wasn't "pressure wash clean" when I moved in..so if the realtor gives me shit for that, I am gonna give him some push back...
Posted via RS Mobile