REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #26
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

First... I do not agree that this was 100% an 'accident.' It was a lack of awareness of ones surroundings while driving, which, when leading to an innocent, law-abiding, persons death, should result in a severe ban (5-10 years+) on driving. It was the drivers fault, as the main duty of care was with the driver.

The pedestrian likely has some blame as well. I think we as pedestrians also have a duty to be aware of potentially dangerous situations, like a person getting ready to enter a street and not looking in our direction. I've probably 'saved' my own life a number of times, just from that kind of awareness - I am sure most people have.

With the information presented however, we don't know a lot about the specific circumstances here, so its difficult to speculate any further.

All that said. She is a successful business executive. She probably hired a great lawyer, which is why they were able to negotiate a plea. It's not really about corruption and some NWO bullshit. Good lawyers have reputations and ties to the legal community. It is another form of punishment as well, as the defendant has to pay at least $10,000 extra.

That IS the way the legal system works - pay a bunch of money, and have your sentence reduced (sometimes to nothing). So she had $10,400 in 'fines' to pay.

The judge and the crown actually take the money paid to a lawyer into some kind of consideration, whether consciously or not - remember they were all lawyers accepting money from clients at some point.

Maybe she avoided a small driving prohibition, or a few points on her license, but this is not some major conspiracy as was suggested by the OP.
Advertisement
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #27
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
The old lady was walking on the side walk remember that, it wasnt at an intersection or break in the road.

The victims family needs to be properly compensated. This driver lady is probably worth more then a few million in assets alone.
A vehicle always wins when they go head to head with a pedestrian, remember that. No point in being right, when you are dead right. I would suggest removing your head from your ass, but you are proving to be a sheep. Sheep it up Charles. Stupid Zionist.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #28
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
So if an old lady is worth more than $400, how much more? $500? $1000? $4,000,000,000?

It was an accident on both their parts, the difference being one was in a big heavy thing.

The lesson is, watch where you're going. Being on a sidewalk doesn't mean you are invincible to idiot drivers who aren't watching where they're going.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

everyone is all quick to judge.....until it happens to you. Whether you are the person in the car or the family of the person that got killed no one is ever really satisfied with the outcome most of the time...i think.
accl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #30
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

you guys are hilarious. defending the driver for running over an old lady that was walking ON THE SIDE WALK and some of you have the guts to say that the old lady should be more cautious on a SIDE WALK?
89andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #31
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
The fine should have been a lot higher.. heck funeral costs alone are more then $400....
That driver should have been fined higher PLUS paying any funeral RELATED costs, I think at the very minimal would suffice... but no jail time part.. no comment...
Old 08-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

if the driver was asian and the victim was white, the outcome would be totally different...

that being said, how can you not know that you've hit a pedestrian? If there was enough force to kill someone, you'd definitely feel the impact/bump of running over someone's body. Unless she was on the phone with loud music on, I find it hard to believe.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #33
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89andy View Post
you guys are hilarious. defending the driver for running over an old lady that was walking ON THE SIDE WALK and some of you have the guts to say that the old lady should be more cautious on a SIDE WALK?
Probably! When the crosswalk says walk and I jump out onto the street in front of a car running a red, you can tell me how hilarious it all is at the funeral. Idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
The fine should have been a lot higher.. heck funeral costs alone are more then $400....
That driver should have been fined higher PLUS paying any funeral RELATED costs, I think at the very minimal would suffice... but no jail time part.. no comment...
Its called Civil Court - I am sure the family will get a big payout from the business executive there. Did you think the family was going to collect the $400 violation ticket to use towards the funeral!? Idiot #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
if the driver was asian and the victim was white, the outcome would be totally different...

that being said, how can you not know that you've hit a pedestrian? If there was enough force to kill someone, you'd definitely feel the impact/bump of running over someone's body. Unless she was on the phone with loud music on, I find it hard to believe.
Apparently from a witness to the accident...

I wish to put this accident scene into perspective, I was at the scene.

The driver was driving a brand new sport utility, which was visiting a private residence whom the owner was a chiropractor operating out of his home - on the east side of Bayview, just south of Finch.

The house itself has tall bushes down the side of the driveway, and along the sidewalk - giving a driver ZERO visibility of the sidewalk, in fact the back end of her vehicle would be on Bayview before she could fully see the sidewalk.

I also lived in a house near the scene, and also has similar bushes - I would have to inch my way beyond the tree line, though I always tried to back into my driveway - which isn't easy giving the high rate of speed common on Bayview and heavy traffic.

This accident occurred on a weekday around 10am - the victim, did not notice the vehicle backing up, and did not notice the tail lights, and did not check as she passed the bushes to make sure nothing was coming.

The driver, noticing a break in traffic, backed onto Bayview just as the victim stepped from behind the bushes into the back of the vehicle. It knocked the lady down into the slow lane, the vehicle passed her in reverse - now the victim who had been hit, but not run over - was sitting in the slow lane

The driver did not know she just hit the elderly lady with her bumper knocking her to the ground, she put her vehicle in drive, obviously she did not see the lady sitting on the road directly in front of her.

She ran the elderly lady over and dragged her for approximately 40 - 50 feet, the length of 1 house front. The victim was under the vehicle, with massive bleeding, and the driver was in shock.

Victim was deceased at the scene.

Driver at fault, victim partially at fault, height of the bushes played a huge roll in this accident, along with speed and volume, and backing onto a very busy street.

Sounds about right. Horribly unfortunate for the victim and her family. Make no mistake, the family will receive serious compensation for the accident - that doesn't bring anyone back, but I really don't understand the son's points. Did he really think the lady would do hard time?
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #34

Quote:
I'm not "defending' anything, and I am not blaming the lady either. Accidents happen. If the driver was more careful, it wouldn't have happened. If the lady was more careful, it wouldn't have happened.

But the thing is, peole want to lynch the driver for the accident.. so I say, what is the correct result you are looking for? Driver pays 100% of her salary to the children for the rest of her life? Driver pays what the lady was making? Now you are putting a dollar amount on a life.. you have to then argue what someone is "worth". I think a lot of people would say that life is priceless.. so then what do you do? Should the driver go to jail? Be sentenced to death? Become a surrogate mother?

The family can still sue for as much as they deem fit. Maybe they just want enough to pay for the funeral, or maybe they have a 'value' set in mind that will make them feel better. The bottom line is that the driver was not found to be criminally negligent.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #35
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I'm not "defending' anything, and I am not blaming the lady either. Accidents happen. If the driver was more careful, it wouldn't have happened. If the lady was more careful, it wouldn't have happened.

But the thing is, peole want to lynch the driver for the accident.. so I say, what is the correct result you are looking for? Driver pays 100% of her salary to the children for the rest of her life? Driver pays what the lady was making? Now you are putting a dollar amount on a life.. you have to then argue what someone is "worth". I think a lot of people would say that life is priceless.. so then what do you do? Should the driver go to jail? Be sentenced to death? Become a surrogate mother?

The family can still sue for as much as they deem fit. Maybe they just want enough to pay for the funeral, or maybe they have a 'value' set in mind that will make them feel better. The bottom line is that the driver was not found to be criminally negligent.
never did I say that the fine should be higher or whatever, that is not the main thing here. The point is all the driver has to do is pay some fines (regardless how $$$ it is, not the main point anymore) and gets to walk out with no ACTUAL penalties. Some people said suspension from driving, community service, etc. etc. That is what constitutes as a real penalty to people with wealth.
89andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #36

Quote:
never did I say that the fine should be higher or whatever, that is not the main thing here. The point is all the driver has to do is pay some fines (regardless how $$$ it is, not the main point anymore) and gets to walk out with no ACTUAL penalties. Some people said suspension from driving, community service, etc. etc. That is what constitutes as a real penalty to people with wealth.
Punishing an accident doesn't do anyone any good. You punish malicious intent, not lack of awareness. She already has to live that her stupidity killed someone, maybe that is a lot of punishment in itself.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

I often see huge shrubs/hedges, and always figured something like this would happen.

I don't get why the City doesn't actively go around and cut into half the hedge. Dangerous for cars/pedestrians.

Or the homeowner for fact. Don't muncipalities fine residences for overgrown grass? It should apply in hedges/shrubs that impose a hazard.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote