REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Transit advocates suggest regional sales tax for projects (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687676-transit-advocates-suggest-regional-sales-tax-projects.html)

Traum 08-27-2013 12:45 PM

Transit advocates suggest regional sales tax for projects

Transit advocates suggest regional sales tax for projects | News1130

Quote:

The latest pitch for a 0.5 per cent regional sales tax comes from a couple of transit advocates.

Report co-author Paul Hillsdon says the money could help fund a long wish list of projects. “You get the UBC SkyTrain, two light rail lines in Surrey, seven new B-Lines, double the capacity on the Expo Line, and the Burnaby Mountain gondola.”

Hillsdon says the tax would pay for the region’s share of capital and operating costs and allow all of the projects to be built by 2020. He argues it would be the fairest, most comprehensive and realistic solution.
Instead of trying to come up with grand new plans to fxxk us in the a$$ again, how about if we fire those $300k+ top executive ripoffs at Translink and replace them with someone at 1/2 or 1/3 of the wage? And while we're at it, let's stop wasting money on fancy arts at a Skytrain station.

Artwork at Main St Stn will be good for community: TransLink | News1130

Lomac 08-27-2013 01:05 PM

How about tolling the new South Perimeter Road first?

Phil@rise 08-27-2013 03:05 PM

Translink is so out of touch with their responsibilities its insane.

StylinRed 08-27-2013 03:24 PM

lol of course it could help fund their wish list why would they even mention that?

any tax will help fund their wishlist but the answer to their wishes shouldnt be simply to take more money out of our pockets to fill their wishes and to fill their pay raises and bonuses

dark0821 08-27-2013 10:35 PM

i am literally out of word, usually I try to pick out where the media just tries their best to paint translink in a bad light. But I am speechless, of all the carbon taxes I am paying thru my nose and the occasional $6.50 for a round trip to downtown on the skytrain... this is just getting sad

How can government let Translink continue to slide like this, every 6 month, they want to raise fares, raise gas price taxes and now just straight up sales tax....

....sigh... end rant =P

I still rmbr when it was $1.00 for concession, and $1.50 for 1 zone tickets, and they were 1 hour 45min back then....

SoulCrusher 08-27-2013 10:37 PM

Can't trust the assholes that are running the show.
Posted via RS Mobile

westopher 08-28-2013 12:07 AM

Maybe we should just actually start paying translink tax straight off of our fucking paycheques? It can replace the C.P.P.

7seven 08-28-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8308512)
And while we're at it, let's stop wasting money on fancy arts at a Skytrain station.

Blows my mind that these idiots want to spend more money on useless art projects when every month they give us a sob story about how short on funding they are. Yea, spending ~$100,000 on that ugly Main St poodle statue really improved transit infrastructure :facepalm:

And pro transit people wonder why most get so angry and are against more funding for transit even though improvements are needed, its because of crap like this, crying broke/not enough funds while throwing hundreds of thousands at pointless art projects and bloated salaries for everyone from bus drivers to management for the shitty job they all do.

CorneringArtist 08-28-2013 07:06 AM

I'm sounding like a broken record when I discuss this with others, but Translink needs to improve service with the incoming revenue they have before asking for more funding. I'm sure they can free up some cash by paying their board directors less money for doing basically nothing. Oh wait, they constantly line their own pockets every year :badpokerface:.

ziggyx 08-28-2013 07:10 AM

:rukidding:Next time I pay 2.75 to take the expo line I'll make sure I stop at main street, get off the skytrain and check out the art exhibit they put up. Better be worth that money.

murd0c 08-28-2013 07:22 AM

I've said it before and I will say it again... Translink can fuck right off those greedy pompous retards.

smoothie. 08-28-2013 07:52 AM

Fuck translink. Turn the skytrain into bike lanes. Make all the buses private, it'll make for an interesting morning commute.
Posted via RS Mobile

Hehe 08-28-2013 10:09 AM

I am lol-ing so hard... Translink has never been profitable. Hell, they don't even have any plan that they ever would be. And yet they have the audacity to ask for all these subsidies. :fuckthatshit:

lowside67 08-28-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8309161)
I am lol-ing so hard... Translink has never been profitable. Hell, they don't even have any plan that they ever would be. And yet they have the audacity to ask for all these subsidies. :fuckthatshit:

Your econ-fu is pretty weak, you are actually backwards. A crown corporation that is set out to not seek profits MUST receive subsidies on an ongoing basis to continue operations - that's simply common sense.

I think what you actually meant to say is you don't understand why the company would be funded to expand its operations when it isn't profitable on its existing operations. That doesn't really make sense either though - this organization does not intend to set a profit whether it operates one bus line or public transit for the entire province.

Each project should be evaluated on its collective social benefit as the true financial return of any one is in theory negative since it isn't self supporting.

Mark

EDIT - I should also clarify that my correcting hehe doesn't mean I think Translink is fantastic and is doing a great job and deserves a bunch more of my money, just clarifying some seriously incorrect "facts".

xpl0sive 08-28-2013 10:19 AM

Carbon tax, transit tax, now regional sales tax? Are they for real? How much more do they think the people are going to take? I can't believe that people just bend over and pay this shit. Transit system has barely improved in the last 5 years, yet the taxes/fare rates have continued to increase... along with the Translink executive salaries

MindBomber 08-28-2013 10:25 AM

I much preferred the "2012 Translink Updates" thread to the barrage of Translink threads currently; the organization level lead to a much more productive discussion.

Mr.HappySilp 08-28-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7seven (Post 8309073)
Blows my mind that these idiots want to spend more money on useless art projects when every month they give us a sob story about how short on funding they are. Yea, spending ~$100,000 on that ugly Main St poodle statue really improved transit infrastructure :facepalm:

And pro transit people wonder why most get so angry and are against more funding for transit even though improvements are needed, its because of crap like this, crying broke/not enough funds while throwing hundreds of thousands at pointless art projects and bloated salaries for everyone from bus drivers to management for the shitty job they all do.

Well they are planning to spend another 450k on arts
Another $450K prepared for Expo Line art | Vancouver 24 hrs

I take the skytrain and get off Main every work day. There is NO NEED FOR FANCY arts there. Just leave it plain. If they want arts to make the station look nice they can easily get some freelancers or even art students form UBC, Emily Carr to do them FOR FREE! I am sure students will line up to do it coz is nice to have that on their resume.........

Traum 08-28-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8309181)
Well they are planning to spend another 450k on arts
Another $450K prepared for Expo Line art | Vancouver 24 hrs

:facepalm:

Mr.HappySilp 08-28-2013 10:57 AM

^^ if you look at it closer the aritle saids "TransLink’s share of the $164-million Expo Line upgrade program, which includes money for public art, is $40 million."

So in total transit plans to throw $40 million for arts to decorate the stations......

AWDTurboLuvr 08-28-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8309193)
^^ if you look at it closer the aritle saids "TransLink’s share of the $164-million Expo Line upgrade program, which includes money for public art, is $40 million."

So in total transit plans to throw $40 million for arts to decorate the stations......

Poor reading comprehension. The upgrade program includes money for public art, it's not a $164 million art program and TransLink's share is $40m.

Traum 08-28-2013 11:03 AM

^^ I don't think that's how I would read it. Translink isn't throwing $40M on arts. The entire Expo Line upgrade is worth $164M. But Translink is only contributing $40M towards the project. And out of that $40M, they are spending (really, wasting) a bunch of money on arts.

Traum 08-28-2013 11:05 AM

Incidentally, Translink's online customer feedback form is down:

http://www.translink.ca/feedback

Gee... I wonder why it is down right now... :facepalm:

noclue 08-28-2013 11:13 AM

I honestly wouldn't mind if Vancouver followed a system like New York and toll every bridge/tunnel inbound and free exit outbound instead of a general tax for the whole population.

shenmecar 08-28-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8309200)
Incidentally, Translink's online customer feedback form is down:

http://www.translink.ca/feedback

Gee... I wonder why it is down right now... :facepalm:

some people just can't take criticism
Posted via RS Mobile

xpl0sive 08-28-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8309198)
^^ I don't think that's how I would read it. Translink isn't throwing $40M on arts. The entire Expo Line upgrade is worth $164M. But Translink is only contributing $40M towards the project. And out of that $40M, they are spending (really, wasting) a bunch of money on arts.

The entire Expo Line Upgrade Project is worth $164M. Translink's share is $40M, which includes arts. Pretty straight forward reading comprehension.