REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Where to get Braces good price? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687763-where-get-braces-good-price.html)

NeoDestinyZ 08-30-2013 09:36 AM

Where to get Braces good price?

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here for a while now. I'm trying to look for a good dental clinic that provides good work for braces, but on the affordable size. I heard it can estimate around 5-8k for yearly maintenance's including braces.

But I'm basically looking at a economic way of getting the job done without going home with an empty pocket.

Any good recommendation would be appreciated.

originalhypa 08-30-2013 09:51 AM

There used to be a guy in Coquitlam who would do dentistry out of his house. Good prices, but not the cleanest dental office around.

Wonder what happened to him?

:troll:

GLOW 08-30-2013 09:57 AM

dr ritchie mah - metro pointe centre across from where station square is/used to be.
he's an orthodontist. i think his pricing was around 5-6k many years ago, paid monthly over the span of treatment.

jmvdesign 08-30-2013 10:18 AM

Robin Jackson in Blundell Richmond is the most recommended orthodontist in Richmond. Mine turned out perfect and it cost me 7K during the two year span treatment. They provided me a retainer as well and welded my bottom row of teeth permanently so it will never shift or crowd ever again. They have a pretty good financing plan as well. This is something you never want to cheap out or else it will prolong the treatment longer than usual.

quasi 08-30-2013 10:22 AM

Teeth aren't to different then eyes, I'd be looking for the best not the cheapest out there.

originalhypa 08-30-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8310587)
Teeth aren't to different then eyes, I'd be looking for the best not the cheapest out there.

Very true.
I'm in the process of getting my daughter a set of braces, and we're looking at anywhere from $5500-$7500. That's the problem with braces. If it goes perfect, you can expect to pay the cheaper price. But add in additional treatments, surgeries, etc to fix any underlying issues and you're going to see the costs rise quickly.

There are options though. You could go with the standard wire braces like we all grew up with. Or you can go with one of the new treatments, like Invisilign. But don't expect them to be any cheaper. We were quoted $6k for Invisilign.

Check out this link for more info. It helped us when my wife was looking for options.
Straighten your teeth with these braces options for adults | Beauty | Look Great | Best Health

Roach 08-30-2013 10:37 AM

^ Agreed.

I recently decided to fix my teeth as well. I decided to choose the invisalign treatment for personal & professional reasons. I was naive and went through a bit of an experience in choosing a treatment plan.

First I went to my dentist. She worked out a plan that would require removing 4 teeth to lessen my crowding. Those terrible tasting plaster molds were taken. She quoted me $6500. I agreed not knowing any better. The Invisalign company received my mold and her treatment plan and flat out rejected her plan. I was refunded my $6500.

Feeling dejected, I decided to visit an orthodontist (Wilbur Chow of Panorama Orthodontics). I explained what had happened with my previous experience and he laughed at the notion I would need to have teeth removed. He explained to me in full detail how my teeth would be corrected. I was quoted $8000 as my teeth will require at least 2.5 years of treatment. I gladly accepted as I felt far more comfortable with Dr. Chow's level of knowledge and treatment plan. Turns out he's a cool guy too, owning a modded E90 M3 sedan. Loves to talk cars.

Go to an experienced orthodontist. Don't focus on cost alone and make sure you are explained what their treatment plan is for you as it can vary. If someone wants to extract I would be very curious as to why. Those aren't teeth you can grow back later.

Kev

Phil@rise 08-30-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8310587)

very different. What would you rather be without lol

will068 08-30-2013 11:10 AM

HGS Orthodontics | Richmond, Port Coquitlam BC | Braces | Invisalign | Dr. Geoff Smith

Has both Richmond and Poco Offices.

I had mine done in 2002-2003. Cost was $4k. Then again, my teeth weren't that messed up.

seakrait 08-30-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roach (Post 8310603)
^ Agreed.

I recently decided to fix my teeth as well. I decided to choose the invisalign treatment for personal & professional reasons. I was naive and went through a bit of an experience in choosing a treatment plan.

First I went to my dentist. She worked out a plan that would require removing 4 teeth to lessen my crowding. Those terrible tasting plaster molds were taken. She quoted me $6500. I agreed not knowing any better. The Invisalign company received my mold and her treatment plan and flat out rejected her plan. I was refunded my $6500.

Feeling dejected, I decided to visit an orthodontist (Wilbur Chow of Panorama Orthodontics). I explained what had happened with my previous experience and he laughed at the notion I would need to have teeth removed. He explained to me in full detail how my teeth would be corrected. I was quoted $8000 as my teeth will require at least 2.5 years of treatment. I gladly accepted as I felt far more comfortable with Dr. Chow's level of knowledge and treatment plan. Turns out he's a cool guy too, owning a modded E90 M3 sedan. Loves to talk cars.

Go to an experienced orthodontist. Don't focus on cost alone and make sure you are explained what their treatment plan is for you as it can vary. If someone wants to extract I would be very curious as to why. Those aren't teeth you can grow back later.

Kev

I got braces when I was in high school (well over two decades ago) and my dentist at that time, in concert with my orthodontist, extracted all four of my pre-molars as well as all four of my yet-to-erupt wisdom teeth (they didn't knock me out - it was all just with local anaesthetic in two sessions). Apparently that was how things were done back then to make room for my teeth. 20+ years later and my teeth have shifted again and I am effectively now missing eight teeth. :(

I'm looking at Invisalign as well now.

Hondaracer 08-30-2013 11:30 AM

If you do get braces make sure ya wear your retainer after!

10k on my teeth and they still crooked :(
Posted via RS Mobile

Lomac 08-30-2013 11:36 AM

Do you have a dental plan?

If so, check your coverage and see if braces are covered by it. My parents got lucky when I was younger since I needed braces and their dental plan covered the majority of the cost. If you're doing this purely out of pocket, though... unless you need it fixed right away, try to wait a little bit to find a job that has decent dental coverage.

miss_crayon 08-30-2013 11:54 AM

Check out these threads.

My brother and I went to Dr. Ritchie Mah (like someone else posted) and granted we got them in 98-00, cost per person was about ~$5000. NO teeth were removed, had braces for 2 years, retainer up until...2005? then I got lazy and stopped wearing it. Front tooth shifted back out a little bit but not noticeable except me. All in all, find a professional! Read reviews, have your dentist refer a few people for you to look into.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/680747-invisalign.html

http://www.revscene.net/forums/66203...vancouver.html

Manic! 08-30-2013 11:56 AM

One word invisalign. My cost was $5000 and will take 1 year. I have around 3 months left.

Lomac 08-30-2013 12:00 PM

Invisalign isn't for everyone. If you just need minor adjustments, Invisalign works great. However, if you need some major restructuring (think British teeth :p ), you're stuck with the more traditional metal braces.

quasi 08-30-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 8310607)
very different. What would you rather be without lol

Why choose? I'd pick the best care for both but that's me.

BrRsn 08-30-2013 12:03 PM

Check Dr. James Findlay in langley

he does great work, funny guy, and very reasonable prices.

Dentists were quoting me prices ranging from 10-14k and he did it all in for I believe half what others were quoting -- the only hassle was that it was all the way out in langley. But, even if you make a trip a month you still save a ton.

Lomac 08-30-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 8310682)
Check Dr. James Findlay in langley

he does great work, funny guy, and very reasonable prices.

Dentists were quoting me prices ranging from 10-14k and he did it all in for I believe half what others were quoting -- the only hassle was that it was all the way out in langley. But, even if you make a trip a month you still save a ton.

The address of his "work" is in the middle of a residential housing complex... :heckno:

lol

El Bastardo 08-30-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8310679)
think British teeth

:okay:

4444 08-30-2013 01:41 PM

OP u r a turd, cost of braces depend on the work you are having done.

Mine cost $9k, but I had a lot of work done in a surprisingly quick time (no fear of pain, so I amped up the speed)

Please, go el cheapo - u'll regret it in 10 years when u have braces again

4444 08-30-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8310679)
Invisalign isn't for everyone. If you just need minor adjustments, Invisalign works great. However, if you need some major restructuring (think British teeth :p ), you're stuck with the more traditional metal braces.

For a little extra, you can get clear plastic brackets in the top, which decrease the visibility a lot, they're more brittle than metal, but mine didn't break, so were worth the extra cost ($500 or $1k - I'm not vain, but I was willing to pony this up no question, makes a huge difference)

Invisilign are hit and miss, only good for minor movement, and I know ppl who had Invisalign for 4 yrs then needed real braces to actually do the job

4444 08-30-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8310649)
If you do get braces make sure ya wear your retainer after!

10k on my teeth and they still crooked :(
Posted via RS Mobile

I find that paying for braces myself (not having them when I was a kid on parents' dime) makes it so that I never miss a night with my retainer.

Sexy? No... But neither are crooked teeth

Verdasco 08-30-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8310743)
OP u r a turd, cost of braces depend on the work you are having done.

Mine cost $9k, but I had a lot of work done in a surprisingly quick time (no fear of pain, so I amped up the speed)

Please, go el cheapo - u'll regret it in 10 years when u have braces again

9k what the fuck!?!?

got mine for 5kish by dr samuel k chiang on main and 15th, loved that guy, always had a great conversation even though he only did the check ups and the assistants had to do the dirty work, the caucasian assistants were douches though...,

Quote:

Dr.Samuel K.Chiang graduated from Dentistry with a D.M.D. degree from the University of British Columbia in 1974 . After several years in general dental practice, he returned to graduate studies in Orthodontics at the University of Manitoba in 1979. In 1981, he received a Master of Science degree from the University of Manitoba. He returned to Vancouver to join Dr. Daniel Cheng to practice the specialty of Orthodontics. He is a member of the Canadian and the American Associations of Orthodontists. In 1992, Sam became a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics, as well as a Fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada. Aside from clinical practice, over the years Sam has been actively participating in several study clubs in orthodontics, instructed and lectured at the Faculty of Dentistry at the University of British Columbia. He enjoys learning and practicing orthodontics.
one thing i noticed when going to this place is that tons of rich baller kids from private schools all go here LOL

mommies driving dem bentlys and ferraris

xXSupa 08-30-2013 01:58 PM

I got mine about 5 years back from Dr. Melissa Lin Dental in Vancouver. Great people, very friendly. Not too sure about pricing anymore, probably went wayyy up, but I paid around $3500 for the whole procedure.

Home Page of Dr. Lin's Dental Clinic

punkwax 08-30-2013 02:32 PM

Much like most professions, the price varies on the amount of work required. Pretty simple..

Agree with Honda. Mine were ~6k and after a couple years of retainer, my ortho said I didn't have to wear it every night anymore. I stopped wearing it completely and now nearly 20 yrs later I have 2 crooked teeth and always think about getting them straightened again...