REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
terkan's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,564
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
foreign driver licence

hi my friend currently is an international student at sfu and carrying her driver license from hong kong. We are wondering whether or not we need to get her driver licence translate by a translation service and have it stamp by one of those notary ppl or it's fine if the driver license already have english translation on it? reason we are asking this stupid question is the insurance guy said new regulation requires all foreign licence to be translated into english even if it has english on it already?? if so that's pretty stupid lol
terkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 2,834
Thanked 4,665 Times in 1,010 Posts
Driving Without a Valid British Columbia Driver's Licence - Road Safety Rules and Consequences of Unsafe Driving - Driver Behaviour and Road Safety - Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles

Says students can drive with foreign license, but must carry student ID, and be registered full time.

Nothing about translations.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS
dark0821's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Van604
Posts: 2,060
Thanked 751 Times in 231 Posts
My soon to be brother in law is rocking one from HK right now. He has been road checked, and the officer told him that the license is only valid for 90 days after he landed. Luckily he was still within the time frame. But the officer urged him to go thru ICBC and get a local license ASAP.

From what I understand, you would still have to take the knowledge test first, but there will not be the 1 yr wait in btw, and the person will be able to book a road test as soon as he passed the knowledge test. Lastly if passed on the road test, it will be straight to Class 5.

Hope this helps =P
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts

AE101 Corolla 96' Winter Beater//Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' Project Car//Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' DD//Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' Baby Carrier//Gifted to Parents
GD 6-Speed GLS Elantra 13'//Sold
CZ4A 5-Speed GSR Evolution 08' New Baby Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
terkan's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,564
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
If you are a full time student with a foreign licence u can drive with your licence as long as ur study permit and student id is valid. I just dunno about the translation part. Coz the icbc guy said its new regulation even if ur licence have both english and chinese on it
terkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
The International Driving Permit is the only recognized translation document of a foreign licence. ICBC's translation documents are internal translation documents only and do not qualify as appropriate translation for a foreign licence roadside (though many police officers mistakenly believe it is). The IDP is issued in the country of origin and is valid for 1 year from the date of issue.

The reason for having the IDP, despite possibly having English on the licence itself already, is that it is a document that confirms the validity of a licence and translates the class of the licence/describes what the licensee is allowed to drive.

Information on the IDP courtesy of Wikipedia including issuing countries:
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
RS Peace Officer
zulutango's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
You are exempt if you attend...

(b) by a person for the period that the person is registered as a full time student at and attends any of the following educational institutions:

(i) a university, as defined in the University Act;

(ii) an institution, as defined in the College and Institute Act;

(iii) [Repealed 2004-33-21.]

(iv) the University of Northern British Columbia;

(v) [Repealed 2002-35-9.]

(v.1) the Thompson Rivers University;

(vi) Royal Roads University;

(vii) [Repealed 2003-48-20.]

(viii) any other educational institution in the Province that is authorized under an enactment to grant degrees or is designated under section 3 (1) (a) of the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act,

You must carry your home country DL with may also have a translation in the form Sho said. If you get stopped & you do not produce your home DL then you get a VT for not having a DL, not a Vt for failing to produce it. Get a no DL VT that way and you could find your car being hooked for driving with no DL as you will be assigned a BC identification number that is now in the data base. Just play by the rules & things are a lot easier.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc. cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of