REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
that is fucked up. a new track is finally being established, and only fucktards can use it. wow. congratulations to everyone on this project.

Can car clubs rent the track for a day?

No, the track is exclusively for the enjoyment and use of the members and their guests.

fuck you too.
Advertisement

Last edited by 320icar; 01-26-2015 at 02:10 PM.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #27
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Every product has a target audience, and this race track is no different -- the target audience are high rollers looking for exclusivity.

I do not blame the proprietors for targeting this group. The Area 27 motorsport club is seeking 100 charter and 200 regular memberships. Given their fee structure, if they can meet the membership targets, they are looking to collect $11M from initiation fees, and roughly $1.5M in yearly membership dues.

But it makes me wonder:

1) can they find the required 100+200 members to sign up?
2) is $1.5M in yearly membership dues enough to keep the track running?

I am especially skeptical about Q2. Any time a re-paving job is needed, a good chunk of that yearly membership revenue will get eaten up.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #28
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
I was positive they were selling memberships to get the project off the ground, and that it would open up to user group renting once it was established. Now Im not so sure.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
that is fucked up. a new track is finally being established, and only fucktards can use it. wow. congratulations to everyone on this project.

Can car clubs rent the track for a day?

No, the track is exclusively for the enjoyment and use of the members and their guests.

fuck you too.

"... Yeah because I really wanna pay to build out a racetrack and have some teenager in a pile of crap civic smash into my ferrari because his car was falling apart."

Go build your own track and let tards like yourself come onto it all you please. I think you're just experiencing jealousy.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #30
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

its not in osoyoos it will be in oliver on the east side of the valley
aeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #31
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
"... Yeah because I really wanna pay to build out a racetrack and have some teenager in a pile of crap civic smash into my ferrari because his car was falling apart."

Go build your own track and let tards like yourself come onto it all you please. I think you're just experiencing jealousy.
Don't hold back man. Tell me how you really feel.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #32
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:

Lol, don't worry, you won't be racing there either. Sucks, because you'd fit right in with your snobby c-cksucking attitude. Civics, lol, good luck dodging FOB's in their Ferraris haha
IINur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #33
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
What if I wanna drive an old Volvo on the track?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #34
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:

Civic and Ferrari don't mix at all

!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #35
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
fa di la!
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #36
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Every product has a target audience, and this race track is no different -- the target audience are high rollers looking for exclusivity.

I do not blame the proprietors for targeting this group. The Area 27 motorsport club is seeking 100 charter and 200 regular memberships. Given their fee structure, if they can meet the membership targets, they are looking to collect $11M from initiation fees, and roughly $1.5M in yearly membership dues.

But it makes me wonder:

1) can they find the required 100+200 members to sign up?
2) is $1.5M in yearly membership dues enough to keep the track running?

I am especially skeptical about Q2. Any time a re-paving job is needed, a good chunk of that yearly membership revenue will get eaten up.
From what I recall reading, they're planning on reaching out to host sanctioned events. I believe they're building the track to FIA level 2 standards. That, and the audiences they hope it'll pull in, should help offset the monetary difference.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #37
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

I haven't seen a single track day event where cars weren't fully inspected before hand. In fact, I've seen instances where cars weren't allowed onto the track simply because the o-ring around the washer fluid bottle was allowing some weeping.

Also, time to step off your high horse.

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #38

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I haven't seen a single track day event where cars weren't fully inspected before hand. In fact, I've seen instances where cars weren't allowed onto the track simply because the o-ring around the washer fluid bottle was allowing some weeping.

Also, time to step off your high horse.

Interestingly enough the only actual road course track day i've been to was ORP with Hooked On driving last year, there wasn't a tech inspection. They didn't even look at the car. The only thing they cared about was the helmet carried the proper designation.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #39
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
^^Interesting. Even lapping days that I have attended have tech inspections. Pretty scary letting unknown vehicles onto a course without checking each of them. Leaky fluid on course could spell disaster from another driver.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #40
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
I find only certain clubs do a tech inspection..

PCA for instance will require an annual tech form signed off by a shop, and prior to entry on the day of, they'll do the typical checks (tail lights, lugs, etc..).

IIRC, VCMC will do the same on the day of. PDC as well (if they're still around...).

My last track day with FFDxTSS, i believe they had crew walking around inspection and signing you off with a sticker.

on the flip side, Turn2 does not. at all. They provide you with a form you fill out yourself to submit. They don't even check your helmet.

I suppose the rationale of the turn2 (and other organizers who dont enforce a tech inspection) is that its your car, and you're responsible enough to ensure you and everyone else is safe?
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #41
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,664 Times in 334 Posts
UBCSCC Auto-X events require you to pass tech inspection before taking part in their events. It's all fairly basic - correct amount of fluids, battery tied down tightly, tires aren't belting, etc. The driving instructor I was assigned to told me that they don't do tech inspections at track days due to liability but said it's a very good idea to inspect your car before heading out onto track for your own, and others safety, and showed me how to perform a quick inspection of my car.

It is disappointing to hear how they are running the park. It sounds like they're building it to be a 'boys club'. Don't scuff up your white sneakers too much lads.

noransx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak
[24-01, 14:19] mk1freak lots of bdays this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9
[22-05, 23:37] norans also got a pretty douchey white hipster haircut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_BOY
[27-10, 22:25] can't spell ice without ie
2014 Chevrolet Volt - Poo brown ft panel gaps - currently at 588mpg
2006 Honda CBR600RR "LaF'Honda" pronounced la-fawn-duh
Noran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #42
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I would like to see it open for people to be able to host events on the track as well.

I don't see how they are going to do this for so cheap. I mean $11M has to account for the land, the planning, the permits, and the construction. Then only 1.5M a year for maintenance and upgrades? Unless they plan on coming back to their members for more money when they want to complete the later phases of the project, or they plan on selling more members once the track is open I just don't get it.

I don't know if these people know something that I don't, or if this plan is simply not thought through completely.

With that said a guy in my apartment building is already on the list for becoming a charter member, and a couple of the guys he races with are on it as well. So they have reached out to the people who are serious about this. My neighbour has some crazy open wheeled race car, looks like a formula 3 car.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
^^Interesting. Even lapping days that I have attended have tech inspections. Pretty scary letting unknown vehicles onto a course without checking each of them. Leaky fluid on course could spell disaster from another driver.
What I found hilarious was VCMC did a tech inspection for an autocross and they didn't even look at the car for a track day!

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 01-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #44

As Lomac has already mentioned, the track is built to FIA level 2 standards. I think what that means is, the only races they cannot host are F1 races.

I completely agree with Lomac that they are looking to bring in some additional revenue from hosting events. But I wonder what sort of frequency this will occur. They have already indicated that members are guaranteed track access for a minimum of 2 weekends per month. So chances are, they are looking to host 2 weekend events for high dollar outside clients per month between May to Sept. So that'll be a maximum of 10 events per year.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
What I found hilarious was VCMC did a tech inspection for an autocross and they didn't even look at the car for a track day!
As far as I remember, the only track day that VCMC did not conduct a vehicle inspection was at the Ridge last year. There were 80+ cars, and it just became impossible for the personnel to check through each one. Still, a vehicle self-check was required.

At the end of the day, regardless of whether the event host conducts a vehicle inspection or not, ultimately, it is my belief that the owner and driver of the vehicle are responsible for the condition and track-worthiness of the said vehicle. After all, they are the ones that driving it.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #46

^ The track day was run by Hooked On Driving, not VCMC. See my earlier comment.

"Interestingly enough the only actual road course track day i've been to was ORP with Hooked On driving last year, there wasn't a tech inspection."

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 01-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #47
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
^ The track day was run by Hooked On Driving, not VCMC. See my earlier comment.

"Interestingly enough the only actual road course track day i've been to was ORP with Hooked On driving last year, there wasn't a tech inspection."
What you need is Hooked on phonics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #48
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Is anyone really surprised?

Vancouver (and the Lower Mainland as a whole) is slowly turning into a playground for the rich, it doesn't matter what "race" or "ethnic group" they belong to. A lot of people joke about wealthy Chinese using the track... guess what, most of these kids can't even properly drive on public roads. Cars are just status symbols to them. So personally I argue this track will be used mostly by rich white people, not that it makes a difference. When I first heard about this track happening, I knew from the start they would never allow grassroots motorsports to participate, in order to maintain the "exclusivity" of the track, i.e., to keep out the "riff-raff" as they are putting it in much classier words.

Welcome to the future of BC, and the world in general. Note that I'm not saying anyone is "right" or "wrong"... I'm just a pessimist and this is how it is.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #49

I am not at all surprised. Just disappointed, that's all. The goal of any business is to make money, and I agree that it is probably easier in this case to make more money off a smaller number of the rich and affluent than it is to do so with a much larger group of grassroot enthusiasts.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #50
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
project's been greenlit..construction to start this spring.
looks like $35K+ to be a member...members can have 15 guests a month
FAQ < Area 27: Discover Your Life On Track
15 guests a month but only

Quote:
up to 3 guests may drive per calendar year.

*Individual guests may drive only once per calendar year on the full circuit and must pay the daily use fee.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote