REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   BMW i8 Production Car - Unveiled (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688107-bmw-i8-production-car-unveiled.html)

sonick 09-10-2013 07:17 AM

BMW i8 Production Car - Unveiled

Did a search and didn't find a thread dedicated to the i8, so...

2015 BMW i8: Production Car Revealed, Detailed - Photo Gallery of Official Photos and Info from Car and Driver - Car Images

So hot in black; side silhouette kinda looks like an R8 front clip, FRS/BRZ middle, and a 458 rear.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...-s-520x318.jpg

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...-s-520x318.jpg

Definite styling cues from the original M1 in the quarter panels.

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/up...images_001.jpg

vexor 09-10-2013 08:12 AM

WOW, looks much better than the concept version.... usually that's not the case with production vehicles.

good job BMW

AVS_Racing 09-10-2013 08:43 AM

That thing looks like it will be a bitch to wash and detail
Posted via RS Mobile

Timpo 09-10-2013 10:31 AM

oh fuck it's an R8 copy just like NSX

with a hint of Supra for side profile

El Bastardo 09-10-2013 10:35 AM

So Timpo, is this a GTR killer?

radioman 09-10-2013 10:40 AM

Never, NO fudging way man, BMW WILL NEVER MAKE A GTR KILLER!

You've been timpo'd

Lomac 09-10-2013 12:15 PM

The side profile looks good, but there's something about the frontal picture that makes the car look slightly awkward.

But the looks I can get over, especially since that interior is kinda neat. What I can't get over are the following specs:

Projected MSRP - $136,000
Powered by: 1.5L 3cylinder turbo engine & 98kW electric engine w/7.2kWh battery pack

:badpokerface:

I realize it's got a longer range than the all-electric Tesla Model S, but I think I'd still rather have the Tesla over the i8.

kwy 09-10-2013 12:26 PM

People shopping for the i8 probably won't be looking at the Model S, and vice-versa. They're in completely different segments. I do think the i8 might be interesting as an alternative to the new NSX or R8.

kakucaekz 09-10-2013 12:27 PM

Not a huge fan of the doors, but other than that, looks pretty cool. For some reason, I like the interior too, it's just.. cool lol.

kwy 09-10-2013 12:37 PM

it certainly looks exotic, but it's far from beautiful in the traditional sense.

Harvey Specter 09-10-2013 11:47 PM

Spoke with the SA I deal with today, he's claiming the Canadian price will be around $150k, select dealers can order the car, might not be able to lease it and only a limited number coming to Canada.

Not sure if any of the above info is true but I really do like this car. It's unique which will turn heads, on the other hand, people buying 150k range sports cars look at performance and most cars in this price range will murder this car when it comes to strictly performance numbers so it'll be interesting to see how many i8's BMW is able to sell.

Timpo 09-11-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 8317339)
So Timpo, is this a GTR killer?

on a serious note, it won't be.

Timpo 09-11-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwy (Post 8317438)
People shopping for the i8 probably won't be looking at the Model S, and vice-versa. They're in completely different segments. I do think the i8 might be interesting as an alternative to the new NSX or R8.

i8 and NSX will both get excellent gas mileage.

Whereas Gallardo V10 in R8 will probably get 10mpg.

Gridlock 09-11-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8317425)
Projected MSRP - $136,000
Powered by: 1.5L 3cylinder turbo engine & 98kW electric engine w/7.2kWh battery pack

So, the equation is:

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/wp-c...ge-500x333.jpg

+

http://media.tizaro.com/images/5wf/v...2_as01-750.jpg

=

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....dering-628.jpg

For $150,000.

CharlieH 09-11-2013 10:38 AM

lol it looks like an frs from the side. gayyyyyy

kwy 09-11-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8317992)
i8 and NSX will both get excellent gas mileage.

Whereas Gallardo V10 in R8 will probably get 10mpg.

Pretty sure people that can afford 150k+ sports cars could give 2 fucks about gas mileage.

sonick 09-11-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwy (Post 8318220)
Pretty sure people that can afford 150k+ sports cars could give 2 fucks about gas mileage.

But if it is more fuel efficient, less of their parents' weekly allowance money sent from China can be spent towards gas and more towards BBT and karaoke.

Hehe 09-11-2013 02:50 PM

Does anyone think I would be able to flip one?

I have maintained a very good relationship with my BMW sales as I have always bought and referred F&F to him for their BMW purchase (18 and counting).

When the i8 was announced, I sorta joked with him that i would buy one for my dad as a gift (for all these years supporting my career and investments, but I got him a watch he wanted already), and the salesman actually emailed me the other day to see if I would like to put my name on the list (to be one of the first in N/A to pick this car)

I have the mean to buy it out, but what's the chance of flipping it?

radioman 09-11-2013 03:06 PM

I guess it depends on how fast you're going around a corner if you're looking to flip the car.

Looks like it would stay pretty planted to the ground though....

Harvey Specter 09-11-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8318377)

I have maintained a very good relationship with my BMW sales as I have always bought and referred F&F to him for their BMW purchase (18 and counting).

When the i8 was announced, I sorta joked with him that i would buy one for my dad as a gift (for all these years supporting my career and investments, but I got him a watch he wanted already), and the salesman actually emailed me the other day to see if I would like to put my name on the list (to be one of the first in N/A to pick this car)

Why don't you ask your dad to buy you one and than you can flip it and make a net profit of $150k.

impactX 09-11-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8318377)

You should ask the salesman: how long is the waiting list, how many people are on it, what's your position on the list and how many cars are they delivering in Canada in the first year? That way, you can just gauge it yourself.

Hehe 09-11-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Disick (Post 8318389)
Why don't you ask your dad to buy you one and than you can flip it and make a net profit of $150k.

?

I have more than enough fund to finance the venture. Just not sure if it's worthwhile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by impactX (Post 8318442)
You should ask the salesman: how long is the waiting list, how many people are on it, what's your position on the list and how many cars are they delivering in Canada in the first year? That way, you can just gauge it yourself.

We briefly talked about it. He said his dealership is getting 2 for first year. (And it's the top BMW dealer in Canada). No idea on waiting list as I was the first client he contacted for possible purchase. If I'm confirming my purchase, I will be first on the list.

I just wonder if anyone had any experience flipping cars in high demand/exotic.

twitchyzero 09-11-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8318557)
No idea on waiting list as I was the first client he contacted for possible purchase. If I'm confirming my purchase, I will be first on the list.

I just wonder if anyone had any experience flipping cars in high demand/exotic.

he probably told the same thing to 10 other potential buyers :troll:
while you're contemplating some Chinese magnate has probably ordered one in every colour...aka Hyde's uncle :troll::troll:

Redlines_Daily 09-11-2013 10:16 PM

If you're not sure if it's worthwhile and you're asking advice from a bunch of kids on a car mod forum then you probably shouldn't fricken do it, or you just wanted everyone to know you have the means to buy it?(you mentioned that a couple times..)

AVS_Racing 09-11-2013 10:28 PM

I think you will make more buying 150k worth of R34s and flipping it here :troll::accepted: