REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Reporting a drunk driver (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688109-reporting-drunk-driver.html)

Gucci Mane 09-10-2013 08:35 AM

Reporting a drunk driver

So recently I reported someone who appeared to be drinking and driving. I called in and gave them info about the driver and I gave all of my info when I was asked as well. Now my question here is, if this case is taken to court, will my name come up as a witness? I was under the impression that the caller remained anonymous? I really don't feel comfortable if the other driver finds out who I am, is there any way I can prevent this from happening?? Police mods could you please help me out here?
Posted via RS Mobile

Spoon 09-10-2013 08:48 AM

Without a breathalyzer test, nothing will come out of this.

Gucci Mane 09-10-2013 09:17 AM

the driver was pulled over..

nma 09-10-2013 09:46 AM

well the cops can call you and ask you to give a statement/come to court but you don't have to.. as far as I know.. I witnessed a really dumb fight before and the cops took my info even though I told them I wouldn't have the time for it. They called me anyways but I ignored it. If they pulled him over and took a breath sample I don't think there's any need for you to testify lol they have all the evidence they need

Spidey 09-10-2013 09:57 AM

It depends. With impaired driving charges (criminally) you could be asked to provide a statement etc, and it would possibly require you to attend court. If the driver was pulled over and an IRP was done, then you don't have to provide evidence in court. The evidence in Impaired Driving is mainly from Driving behaviour and the ASD, and subsequent Breath Test that is done at the station. There really is no way of you saying "the guy was drunk beyond .08 blood alcohol content", because you don't know that. Not even the Police can tell unless an ASD or BT is done. So in short, your initial report to the Police is just a "suspicion" that the driver is impaired for whatever reason.

inv4zn 09-10-2013 11:45 AM

Uh, for the non-police-jargon-savvy, can you clarify all those acronyms please?

Spidey 09-10-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 8317391)
Uh, for the non-police-jargon-savvy, can you clarify all those acronyms please?

ASD (approved screening device aka roadside breathalyzer)

BT (breath test, as per earlier in my post)

IRP (immediate roadside prohibition) - the new legislation for impaired drivers under the Motor vehicle act. http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...ohibitions/adp

inv4zn 09-10-2013 11:50 AM

Is a BT just someone blowing in the officer's face?

Or are they different tests that give similar results?

Also, what's an IRP?

Spidey 09-10-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 8317398)
Is a BT just someone blowing in the officer's face?

No. Breath Tests are done by machines that used to determine blood alcohol levels, and are administered by an officer that is trained/qualified in the equipment, back at the Police station.

I explained and linked what IRP is already.

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/share...Fact_Sheet.pdf

Gucci Mane 09-10-2013 12:16 PM

So long story short, the other driver can't find out who I am? Sorry, I'm just very paranoid right now..
Posted via RS Mobile

Spidey 09-10-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight_KB (Post 8317427)
So long story short, the other driver can't find out who I am? Sorry, I'm just very paranoid right now..
Posted via RS Mobile

Do you even know the outcome of what happened? Did you provide the licence plate of the vehicle and where it was going?

If the police officer didn't contact you for an official statement, chances are the Police officer isn't forwarding charges against him for Impaired Driving under the Criminal Code.

Gucci Mane 09-10-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8317479)
Do you even know the outcome of what happened? Did you provide the licence plate of the vehicle and where it was going?

If the police officer didn't contact you for an official statement, chances are the Police officer isn't forwarding charges against him for Impaired Driving under the Criminal Code.

Provided license plate and vehicle was pulled over.
Posted via RS Mobile

subordinate 09-10-2013 03:21 PM

yep, If the case doesn't go to court & you aren't contacted to provide a statement, he won't find out.

But if it does and you're a witness, he'll find out.

I doubt it'd reach so far.

ruthless 09-10-2013 04:41 PM

Just remember, you did the right thing
:thumbsup:

Gucci Mane 09-10-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8317479)

how long does it usually take for an officer to call you back on a matter like this?

thank you for all the responses. I was just a little worried the driver might find out who i am and come after me or something. ya i know, i have anxiety issues. lol..

Speed2K 09-11-2013 07:40 AM

Yes, you did the right thing but, your anxiety issues make it sound like you know the other driver. :suspicious:

corollagtSr5 09-11-2013 07:48 AM

He ratted someone out when they both were leaving a party lol. Must have been flirting with a girl he liked lol WHITE KNIGHT!

Spidey 09-11-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight_KB (Post 8317921)
how long does it usually take for an officer to call you back on a matter like this?

thank you for all the responses. I was just a little worried the driver might find out who i am and come after me or something. ya i know, i have anxiety issues. lol..

The officer won't tell the other party who called it in. That's not how it works. The ONLY time the other party might find out you were the one that found out is if it goes to court. There is not "timeline" when you will be contacted as it depends when the officer decides to submit his report to Crown (if he does). If I were you, I would call the Officer. Call the non emergency line and refer to either the officer's name, date, and time of the occurrence, or with the file number (if you have one). That is your best bet.

Gucci Mane 09-11-2013 11:45 AM

That's a good plan of action. I'll contact them when I get a chance. Thank you very much for the replies!
Posted via RS Mobile

Not really racist! 09-11-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 (Post 8318084)
He ratted someone out when they both were leaving a party lol. Must have been flirting with a girl he liked lol WHITE KNIGHT!

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2rnzgpz.jpg

dared3vil0 09-16-2013 09:07 PM

Good job reporting the drunk driver. May of saved a life/lives.

zulutango 09-17-2013 05:49 AM

If you are asked to provide a detailed formal statement then you will be called as a witness if the case goes to trial. If not, then it is unlikely that you will hear anymore about this. Kudos for calling in the impaired.

SkinnyPupp 09-17-2013 05:52 AM

If you're called as a witness, do your civic duty and go. Don't be a pussy

Thanks for reporting him, but you have to follow through

subordinate 09-17-2013 09:52 PM

Agreed, if everyone was fearful and didn't act on what's just in life, we would have chaos.

predom 09-17-2013 11:35 PM

snitches get stitches