REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Vancouver to Get Canada's First Bitcoin ATM

Quote:

Local broker Bitcoiniacs plans to install an ATM-style kiosk for the digital currency this October

Based in a non-descript ground floor office just off Burrard, Bitcoiniacs is the vanguard of a wave of local businesses courting early adopters and enthusiasts looking to make transactions in Bitcoin as easy as using Visa, MasterCard or cash.

Already a physical exchange for Bitcoin, the company’s founder Mitchell Demeter plans on setting up an ATM this October, catering to a growing base of Bitcoin users in and around the city.

It’s good news for local Bitcoin enthusiasts like Mike Yeung.

“It will allow people to get the coins a lot easier,” says Yeung, who runs a Bitcoin club at Simon Fraser University. So far Yeung has used the algorithmically generated currency at local cafés and to buy wine

The kiosk will ask users for a Bitcoin wallet identifier, in the form of a QR code on the user’s smart phone. Canadian currency is deposited in the machine, and after deducting a transaction fee, the digital wallet is credited in Bitcoin. Manufactured by Las Vegas-based RoboCoin, the machines go for $18,500 each.

“We’re going to have it in a public space,” says Mitchell Demeter, the 27-year old owner of Bitcoiniacs, who has yet to finalize a location for the kiosk.

He has four more on order, expected to come by the end this year, which he’s hoping to install in other major Canadian city centers, including Calgary, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.

For Demeter, Bitcoin banking is a hobby that got a bit out of hand. After developing an interest in January trading and selling Bitcoin among friends, an unrelenting increase in demand gave Demeter the impetus to open up a storefront. Like a currency exchange, Bitcoiniacs charges a 3 to 7 per cent transaction fee for clientele who wish to buy or sell Bitcoin. The ATM will charge a flat 3 per cent fee.

But critics have expressed concern over the instability in Bitcoin’s value and it’s use in online black market exchanges, like Silk Road, for the sale of drugs and other illegal activities. Yeung believes that selective media coverage has exacerbated those perceptions.

As for its legal status, a U.S. judge ruled last month that the currency, first established in 2009, is a real currency, and thus subject to the same laws, while a Texas court declared it subject to U.S. securities regulations.

But unlike it’s American counterpart, the Canada’s financial regulator, FINTRAC, does not regulate Bitcoin.

Demeter believes that less stringent regulations on our side of the border will make Vancouver a hub for Bitcoin startups. “A lot of businesses are coming up to Canada”, says Demeter. Easy access to Bitcoin through an ATM might make add another incentive.
Vancouver to Get Canada's First Bitcoin ATM | BC Business
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
hopefully it makes all cryptocoins go up!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
whats the exchange rate?

1 cad = ?? bit coin

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
1 bitcoin = CA$136.08929 (current weighted average)
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
ATM is convenient but it doesn't seem like there will be any value in the transactions unless the exchange is constantly updated
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Makes more sense to put these in developing countries, or collapsing economies, but I guess overall the more the better
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I feel old.. no idea what a bitcoin is and have no interest in googling it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

somebody want show me how to mine bitcons ... ill hook u up ,,once i start mining them..
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Truth.

Here's my take:

Bitcoin is like the Big Bang Theory. Every so often, you feel all special because you saw something on the show that you get because you saw it on the internet. You forget for a second that the internet is in everyone's homes and is just about as commercial at this point as a glass of coca-cola at TGIF.

That's Bitcoin. A bunch of people on the internet came up with some convoluted way to mathematically create a computer program that acts as a currency that has the anonymous nature of cash, without paper bills and the ability not to be duplicated and redundancy without the involvement of government. And its cool, because its from the internet, and it involves math geeks.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
A bunch of people on the internet came up with some convoluted way to mathematically create a computer program that acts as a currency that has the anonymous nature of cash, without paper bills and the ability not to be duplicated and redundancy without the involvement of government. And its cool, because its from the internet, and it involves math geeks.
That was really well said, Gridlock, but I'm still going to give you one of these:

EuterVanWasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
If you're still interested this is a fun little 2 min animation that explains it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
somebody want show me how to mine bitcons ... ill hook u up ,,once i start mining them..
People who've spent thousands on a dedicated rig are having trouble mining right now
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
There's a thread about this already. I don't think it's worth bothering mining it, hardware is too expensive.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote