REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,283 Times in 2,503 Posts
VPD officer charged with assault after cyclist punched

Here we go again -- let's watch the video first:

Incident took place in March, and this was the original news article:

Vancouver man filing complaint against VPD after punch | News1130

And now the VPD officer is getting charged with assault:

VPD officer charged with assault after cyclist punched | News1130

What is your take on the matter?
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
I think the punch was un-called for. Having 2 officers there, they should've been able to keep him in control, or they should've taken him to the ground if they felt like he was trying to be aggressive.

I don't think the officer should've punched him in the jaw. I hope the cop gets a suspension WITH NO PAY.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
^as much as we want that, it wont happen. That fucker will get a nice 2 week vacation... WITH PAY.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I don't get it. I really don't. I wish my job has the perks of beating someone up to get a paid vacation.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
I don't get it. I really don't. I wish my job has the perks of beating someone up to get a paid vacation.
Posted via RS Mobile
work for the police force! paid vacations anytime you want!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,283 Times in 2,503 Posts
Ironically, the officer involved was previously praised by the British Transit police for bravely apprehending a violent mentally-ill person at the Tube (in London) and preventing “serious injuries to other people and members of the public.”

Vancouver police officer charged with assaulting cyclist during arrest (with video)

Quote:
Bhabha was recognized five years ago by British Transit police for bravely apprehending a violent mentally-ill man on London’s tube.

London-born Bhabha joined the VPD in 2008, the same year he received an award of excellence from the British Transport Police Federation for coming to the rescue of woman and her daughter being harassed by a mentally ill man.

The incident happened in March 2007 at King’s Cross Station when Bhabha, off duty at the time, confronted the man and was bitten in the cheek during the ensuing struggle. The man was eventually restrained with the help of five other officers and Bhabha was taken to hospital, where he had surgery to repair a wound to his face.

At his assailant’s trial, the judge reportedly praised Bhabha for preventing “serious injuries to other people and members of the public.”
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,509 Times in 4,901 Posts
I recall the original thread on RS. The dude on bike was being a bit of an asshole. Did he deserve the punch in the face? We never saw what led up to the punch. For all we know dude could have been a total fucktard. It was caught on video or was it planned?

Anyway, the world continues to spin.....................
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
I hope the cop gets a suspension WITH NO PAY.
If I punch someone in the jaw, I probably go to jail. He needs to be fired, charged and whatever consequence is the norm for when people do this kind of crime. An example needs to be set for police officers, this kind of behavior is unacceptable.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
he probably thinks he's still in the uk where men brush punches off as often as they drink beers
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
If I punch someone in the jaw, I probably go to jail. He needs to be fired, charged and whatever consequence is the norm for when people do this kind of crime. An example needs to be set for police officers, this kind of behavior is unacceptable.

That's ridiculous. People don't go to jail for throwing a bunch.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
Do people get fired for punching a douche in the face? Don't know where you come from...
Posted via RS Mobile
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
As for a headline this should be a bigger issue than that punch imo

Vancouver officer should be fired for deceit, probe finds - British Columbia - CBC News

Quote:
Vancouver officer should be fired for deceit, probe finds

New Westminster's chief constable says a 13-year veteran of the Vancouver Police Department should be fired following allegations he lied during a homicide probe into the 2001 death of an Oak Bay man.

In 2001 Owen Padmore, 31, died of head injuries apparently sustained from a fall in his mother's Oak Bay home.

Two years ago, new information sparked a homicide investigation and a suspect was arrested and charged with manslaughter by Oak Bay police.

But that case mysteriously fell apart.

In July, CBC News learned an unidentified Vancouver officer, who is related to the prime suspect in the case, was suspended with pay in 2011.

New Westminster Police Chief Const. Dave Jones was assigned to investigate the case and in July substantiated several serious offences under the Police Act against the officer, including:

Two counts of deceit.
One count of neglect of duty.
One count of corrupt practice.
One count of improper disclosure of information.
Oak Bay police have confirmed the alleged interference compromised their homicide investigation.

On Thursday, Jones recommended the officer should be dismissed on two counts of deceit and suspended from duty without pay for 10 to 20 days on the other offences.

He was suspended 2 years ago and they're only calling for him to be fired.... -_-
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
What the..I don't even..
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
That's ridiculous. People don't go to jail for throwing a bunch.
Maybe you need to take a read:

265. Assault | Criminal Code of Canada
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
he probably thinks he's still in the uk where men brush punches off as often as they drink beers
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
Do people get fired for punching a douche in the face? Don't know where you come from...
Posted via RS Mobile
If I punched someone in the face and got charged. I would likely be fired. I would 100% not be allowed to attain my CGA designation. The same CONSEQUENCES would occur if I got a DUI. Remember that girl who flashed her tits at the Canucks game? She lost her job because of that. These are the CONSEQUENCES normal citizens face when doing stupid things. I guess police officers don't have face the same CONSEQUENCES....
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

justice has been served.
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I recall the original thread on RS. The dude on bike was being a bit of an asshole. Did he deserve the punch in the face? We never saw what led up to the punch. For all we know dude could have been a total fucktard. It was caught on video or was it planned?

Anyway, the world continues to spin.....................
just like the Rodney king video. someone turns on a camera in the last 30 seconds and they see a cop hit a guy and they shit bricks about it being violent. like mg1 said, we don't know what happened prior. for the cop to use that kind of force, im sure he deserved it.

I had to give a statement to him back in june(if it wasn't him, then hes got a twin lol), and from what I remember he was extremely nice and professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhari View Post
If I punched someone in the face and got charged. I would likely be fired. I would 100% not be allowed to attain my CGA designation. The same CONSEQUENCES would occur if I got a DUI. Remember that girl who flashed her tits at the Canucks game? She lost her job because of that. These are the CONSEQUENCES normal citizens face when doing stupid things. I guess police officers don't have face the same CONSEQUENCES....
your job probably doesn't have you risking your life on a daily basis due to assholes.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Maybe you need to take a read:

265. Assault | Criminal Code of Canada
Real life experience VS whats written in a book. If the police locked up every person who threw a punch we would need to built a lot more jails.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post

your job probably doesn't have you risking your life on a daily basis due to assholes.
Agreed. I work in an office.
Yes he does risk his life at work but he also gets paid for it. Where does the line get drawn when someone who risks their life as a career steps out of line and ultimately has to leave the field due to their actions. It just seems like they get slaps on the wrists all the time and regular citizens have zero tolerance. I am very cynical when it comes to police and politics so I know I may have biased opinions. But I also know lots of people share my frustration.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Real life experience VS whats written in a book. If the police locked up every person who threw a punch we would need to built a lot more jails.
It's not up to the police you idiot.

If you punch me, I can charge you with assault. Get you arrested (by the police). You get a criminal record. Then we can go to court and the judge will give you your punishment.

Learn the process.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by melloman; 09-13-2013 at 02:41 PM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #22

Thank you for teaching me the process....

I was just talking about the big picture of my view of the police and how they are punished.

No need to call me an idiot. I assume you are going to school to become a lawyer or police officer? Just started first year Crim a few weeks ago?

Edit: Ooop Sorry Melloman! come at me broo

Last edited by dhari; 09-13-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #23

^^ Wasn't directed at you dhari

Editted for clarity
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #24
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhari View Post
Agreed. I work in an office.
Yes he does risk his life at work but he also gets paid for it. Where does the line get drawn when someone who risks their life as a career steps out of line and ultimately has to leave the field due to their actions. It just seems like they get slaps on the wrists all the time and regular citizens have zero tolerance. I am very cynical when it comes to police and politics so I know I may have biased opinions. But I also know lots of people share my frustration.
yeah he gets paid for it, but its not the old west where you can just pull out a revolver and shoot someone who you don't agree with, his job is to serve and protect, and this guy got the serve part lol. he puts his life in danger so everyone can stay safe at night. for me, im comfortable with how a police officer takes down anyone anyway so long as the person is not complying. ex. if the officer pulls over a car with a few people in it, has them all come out and sit on the curb except for the driver, talks with him etc...lets say one of the guys on the curb decides to stand up to say something. if I were that cop, my hand would be on my tazer(not pulled out...but on it) before he could get all the way up. if a cop is trying to give someone a command such as put your hands behind your back and to stop resisting, its not rocket science, you comply...every little flinch you make could put a million thoughts running through their head and have them tackle you to the ground.

but that's just my view. im all up for cops and the take downs and force they use. if they've given ample warning to not do something, or your flat out resisting. then fuck the person. they deserve every volt, bruise, or cut that comes from the take down.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #25

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
It's a cyclist he should get a raise and paid vacation
Posted via RS Mobile
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by: