REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #26
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
ok so what if you add more horsepower and keep the decibel level the same.

would it sound better or worse?
It's not as simple as that.

Imagine a 600hp Civic still running the original 4cyl but using a giant turbo and a few upgraded internals. It's still going to sound like shit compared to, say, a VR6 running only 200hp or even the 140hp Windsor v8 from an 80's Mustang.
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #27
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i think this actually a decent post.. someone should mark this on a calendar and we shall celebrate annually!

anyways like posted above i agree with many points... good sounds dosnt mean shouting, it means aggressive, ready to unleash.

i think the reason for that is due to the progression of the tone through the rpm...

if something sounds pretty much the same through the rpm tone it means its not moving much more intake/exhaust and intake/exhaust = power... thats why a shitty cavalier sounds shitty even with exhaust, the sounds its making at 2000 rpm are similar to the sounds it makes at 5000rpm... you hear it and know its not going to surprise you..

also, how fast the rpm climbs, as we know, faster climbing rpm = more power!

we have all associated high hp with things like turbo's, cams, high revving rpm so when we hear these things we think is sounds good.

Subaru's for example sound like a miss firing civic..but we all love the sounds of those unequal headers because we know its a turbo Subaru.. but if it were to be a civic running on 3 cyl we would get it to a shop immediately.

i am personally not a fan of loud exhaust..i like to hear my turbo spooling and so to others around me!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'd love to hear from godwin or dangonay about the effects of cams and firing order and the like when it comes to engine sounds. They can both explain it far better than I'm able to.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Go home Timpo, you're drunk.
Posted via RS Mobile
supremematt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
no im not
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #31
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I've had a VR6 before. The sound coming from the stock exhaust, though kinda quiet, sounds infinitely better than any aftermarket system I've ever heard.

I'll be honest even though it's probably not going to be a popular opinion on here... I hate aftermarket exhausts. I hate hearing an exhaust note from two blocks away, regardless of if it's stock Aston Martin Vanquish or a '96 Civic with a fart can. I prefer the muted growl of a stock exhaust, where it simply hints at the power instead of yelling about it to your face.
+1 sometimes when I drive my friends stock M3, I appreciate how clean and pure the sound from the engine is making. Like Jeremy clarkson said, pure sound of mechanicals working in harmony is a great noise.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #32
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Absolutely retarded. Typical timpo.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #33
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

So Timpo started a thread to say he likes 5 litre mustangs?
Posted via RS Mobile
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote