REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Loose Axle Bearing Tripod (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688296-loose-axle-bearing-tripod.html)

Lomac 09-16-2013 12:44 AM

Loose Axle Bearing Tripod

So I went to replace one of my axles over the weekend and it appears that some how the inboard bearing tripod popped out of the housing. It sits about two inches longer than it should be and I can feel the bearings right at the edge of the boot. Seeing as the shop I bought it from doesn't have a replacement unit in stock and has to order it directly from the manfacturer, I'm thinking I may have to simply try and fix it myself.

That being the case, what would the best course of action be? Is it possible to simply try and force the bearings back into the housing without taking off the boot? I tried doing it gently so as not to damage the end of the shaft, but it didn't seem to work. Any suggestions? I don't want to cut it open just in case the shop is able to get a replacement axle in soon, but I need this car back on the road asap.

fliptuner 09-16-2013 01:29 PM

Since the part's not available, take it to a shop, get them to cut the outer clamp off, reset the joint and install a new clamp.

Lomac 09-16-2013 02:08 PM

Yeah, just did that. Had to jump start the Blazer :lol Cost me a whopping $3.40 to get it done and that's only because they had me run to Napa to pick up a new CV boot strap.

Three fucking weeks... Lordco, how I hate you. On the plus side, I think I found a respectable shop for repairs I can't be bothered to do myself.

fliptuner 09-16-2013 02:50 PM

Sucka.... :fullofwin:

Now put that 6' bar to work.... what, with all your great weather and all. :suspicious:

Impreza 09-16-2013 08:10 PM

The tripod end should slide in and out. Nothing really prevent it from popping out. It only changes the length of the shave when your suspension moves up and down. it shouldn't pop out unless you have some suspension work done. Try to turn it a bit and push it back in, it can fit in to any of the three slot as long as the bearing is in.

Lomac 09-20-2013 01:26 AM

Yeah, so I had a shop rebuild the axle and installed it. Now my wheel will rotate about 350* but on the last 10* it's binding and I can see the transmission twist when it hits that point. I can force it over but it takes far too much torque to do so. Any thoughts on what might have happened?

The car is lowered but I've never had this issue before the axle rebuild.

edit: I also noticed it only seems to bind when moving forward. In reverse, there's no popping sound.