REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 09-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Loose Axle Bearing Tripod

So I went to replace one of my axles over the weekend and it appears that some how the inboard bearing tripod popped out of the housing. It sits about two inches longer than it should be and I can feel the bearings right at the edge of the boot. Seeing as the shop I bought it from doesn't have a replacement unit in stock and has to order it directly from the manfacturer, I'm thinking I may have to simply try and fix it myself.

That being the case, what would the best course of action be? Is it possible to simply try and force the bearings back into the housing without taking off the boot? I tried doing it gently so as not to damage the end of the shaft, but it didn't seem to work. Any suggestions? I don't want to cut it open just in case the shop is able to get a replacement axle in soon, but I need this car back on the road asap.
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Since the part's not available, take it to a shop, get them to cut the outer clamp off, reset the joint and install a new clamp.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Head Moderator

Yeah, just did that. Had to jump start the Blazer Cost me a whopping $3.40 to get it done and that's only because they had me run to Napa to pick up a new CV boot strap.

Three fucking weeks... Lordco, how I hate you. On the plus side, I think I found a respectable shop for repairs I can't be bothered to do myself.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Sucka....

Now put that 6' bar to work.... what, with all your great weather and all.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

The tripod end should slide in and out. Nothing really prevent it from popping out. It only changes the length of the shave when your suspension moves up and down. it shouldn't pop out unless you have some suspension work done. Try to turn it a bit and push it back in, it can fit in to any of the three slot as long as the bearing is in.
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
Head Moderator

Yeah, so I had a shop rebuild the axle and installed it. Now my wheel will rotate about 350* but on the last 10* it's binding and I can see the transmission twist when it hits that point. I can force it over but it takes far too much torque to do so. Any thoughts on what might have happened?

The car is lowered but I've never had this issue before the axle rebuild.

edit: I also noticed it only seems to bind when moving forward. In reverse, there's no popping sound.