REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 09-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
What's your most favourite place that you've visited?

What's been your favourite vacation spot so far? It could be a hidden gem of a town that's far off the beaten tourist path or maybe it's one of the most popular places to go. I'm curious to hear from all of you about where, during your travels, you've found yourself loving a place the most.

For me, it's pretty much a dead heat between the Cinque Terra in Italy and Cannon Beach in Oregon.

The Cinque Terra just has such an old world feel to it and I love the fact that all but one village is basically inaccessible except by the hiking trail along the water or by train. The people there are insanely hospitable and super friendly, even if most of them speak little more than a half dozen phrases of English or French. It's such a peaceful place to have a bottle of wine and some freshly baked goods while sitting on the cliff side, watching the waves roll in and out.

Cannon Beach might be a relatively "backyard" vacation spot, but just like the Cinque Terra, it's got a sort of old world feel to it. I love the fact that there are no franchises allowed in the village and that every store on the strip are mom and pop shops. It's definitely a super popular tourist spot, so I find going either early or late in the year are the best times to go. It's super relaxing, very low key, and you can find the world's absolutely best pizza in town. I've gone almost every year since I was born, and it's a tradition I plan to continue on with my kids.

Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Going to the cinque terra in may!

Mine is St.petersburg Russia, amazing place with the feel of a completely different world update and post pics when I get home

Edit* some of my pics from St.petersburg:

absolutely loved it.

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Hondaracer; 09-16-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
I am grateful grapefruit

Loved Cinque Terre as well, it was a spur of the moment thing for me while I was backpacking through Europe in my early 20's. I only spent a day hiking through, but it was worth it, beautiful views around every corner - amazing food as well.

Just came back from the Oregon coast as well. I found some amazing beaches south of Cannon Beach - and it was nice because they had a lot fewer people. Mind you, I went in Sept, which is past the regular tourist season - but it just seemed nicer to visit.

My favorite area would be the Medina in Marrakesh. It's the old town, with a massive food area that opens every night. In the day, it's a big square full of snake charmers, story tellers. Next to the squares are a maze of old walkways that winds it's way around past cool little shops with pottery, leather goods, clothing, etc. Seriously one of the most magical places I've visited.

I've found the people there generally nice. Everything is haggled for - prices aren't set. But I learned to really enjoy the haggling.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Great places, thinking of doing Italy and Greece in May for 3 weeks. Cinque Terre definately on the list.

Not meaning to threadjack but....

I was thinking of doing a third country for one of these weeks, any suggestions or other suggestions while staying in Greece/Italy?
strike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Las Vegas! My fav compared to anywhere I've been in this world. It has everything I want, shopping, entertainment, food, paries etc, and all in walking distance.
Posted via RS Mobile
BBMme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Lomac, how long were you in Cinque Terra for? me and my GF are planning about 21 days to do France/Cinque Terra/Switzerland, her mom is adament you need 3 days in cinque terra but i feel like thats a little much considering we only have 21 days?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,815 Times in 8,189 Posts
Yangshuo, China

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Tamarindo Beach, Costa Rica.

Sleepy little surfing village with dirt roads. Spend the day laying on the beach, surfing, and listening to music. Hands-down...the best day of my life. Pure bliss. Pure Vida.

t.JPG

t2.JPG
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strike66 View Post
Great places, thinking of doing Italy and Greece in May for 3 weeks. Cinque Terre definately on the list.

Not meaning to threadjack but....

I was thinking of doing a third country for one of these weeks, any suggestions or other suggestions while staying in Greece/Italy?
It really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to visit touristy areas or do you want a genuine feel of the country? Personally, I'd suggest Austria. It has a nice blend of German and Italian all throughout the country. Salzberg in particular is fascinating to visit, despite the fact that it's become a bit of a tourist city. If you're able to, try to go in April instead of May. It's early enough that you'll miss most of the tourists and it's still warm enough that you can go swimming while around the Med. I went in March and even though it snowed on us in Germany, the weather was fantastic in Italy. Heavy rains hit us in Venice but then hit around 25* and became nice and sunny while we were in Cinque Terra and the Mediterranean Sea was surprisingly warm. Warm enough that we tanned on the beach and went for a swim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Lomac, how long were you in Cinque Terra for? me and my GF are planning about 21 days to do France/Cinque Terra/Switzerland, her mom is adament you need 3 days in cinque terra but i feel like thats a little much considering we only have 21 days?
I was there for three days. It was more than enough to see what we wanted to see and at a slow enough pace that we felt we weren't rushed. You don't have to visit all five villages; we didn't. You can take a train, passenger ferry, or hike between all of them. The two places I do suggest you go visit, however, are Monterosso al Mare and Manarola. If you're a wine drinker, you have to check out some of the local wines there. Some of the best white's I've ever had come from the Cinque Terra.

Edit: Nice pictures, HR. I've always wanted to go to St Petersburg.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote