REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 09-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Working in another country

I am sure a ton of RS'ers have done this. I want to look into working in another country. What has to be done to accomplish this? I am just thinking something temporary, like 6 months or something even. Any info or help/tips? Just the tip?
Advertisement
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
if you're in trades you might be able to head over to australia for a bit.

i suppose you'd need a company to sponsor you to come over and work. if its a large company they would probably arrange the visa application and other tid bits required to get you in. any luck browsing google? expat sites for the country you want to head to would probably be a good start.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Expat? I have a little bit, and Austrailia was where I was looking, at mining specificly. Also found an article where it said their mining was on a down turn, so that may be a no go.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
It probably best to pick one or a couple countries too look into....every country will have their own guidelines and process for international workers....some permits take longer than others and some are more complicated.

Once you find out what country you want and how to work there, pick what you want to do. It is probably best to have a job, or at the very least an interview before arriving. If you secure a job prior to arrival, human resources may be able to expedite paperwork and help you with the process.

Also, were you parents born in Canada? If they were born in another country, you may be able to secure citizenship and avoid the hassles of work permits....ex: my dad was born in the UK. I have UK citizenship and am able to have a European Union passport which allows me to work in over 22 countries.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

any excuse that you returned to canada by air?
make up any excuse for customs?
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Also, were you parents born in Canada? If they were born in another country, you may be able to secure citizenship and avoid the hassles of work permits....ex: my dad was born in the UK. I have UK citizenship and am able to have a European Union passport which allows me to work in over 22 countries.
Kind of unrelated, but I read on the Straight Dope forums (can't find the thread despite my Google-fu) that if you had citizenship in one of the countries of the British Empire, you could live and work anywhere in the Empire. If you lived in a Commonwealth country up until the 70s, you could get British citizenship, but the UK put a stop to the practice to restrict immigration from former colonies in Africa and South Asia. Now, someone with Canadian citizenship can't jump the queue, so to speak.

It is said that it would have been done eventually to keep Britain's immigration policies in line with the rest of the European Union's.
TatsuyaKataoka is offline   Reply With Quote