REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Used car help/opinions

Hello hello,

Crazy newer than new lurker on RS here but i would like to ask you folks for some tips and/or opinions on purchasing a used car for the first time.

So basically im on the hunt for my first car ever fully paid for by myself with a budget around 7k max. im also looking for a manual one, however, it'll be my first standard car and ill basically be self teaching myself on how to drive it well and proper.

Since it'll be my first manual, i already know the theory on how to drive one, just haven't had much actual practice, how would i go to test the car from the seller when it comes time to buying one?

There's still a while to go (a couple of months essentially) before i save up enough money to fully support it. i.e. insurance, gas, minor modifications. But what would be the best car to have for that price range? i've looked into honda civics, mazda mx5s and all the generic jazz.

Im leaning towards more of a drivers car than needing to be super practical, but it cant really be anything crazy and over the top like summer cars or anything like that, as it will be my daily driver.

TL;DR version. looking for a used manual car for 7k or less, would like some tips/opinions on what would be a good car to look at.

Much thanks to all those that help and please be gentle on my RS virginity
Advertisement
Mr.Stubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Stubbz View Post
how would i go to test the car from the seller when it comes time to buying one?
You could always take a friend that drives standard and have them drive the car.

For that price range I'd look at a 99/00 Civic SiR coupe.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
Welcome to Revscene!

IMO
1.) with 7k budget, I'll spend 5k on purchasing the car and the rest on maintenance. ( Integras are good choice)
2.) Bring a friend with you and take the car to a mechanic.
3.) Integra, Civic, 1.7EL Less pratical: RSX, MR2, Prelude,

How about this one?
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...089435380.html
or this one?
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...028085363.html
Old 09-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

Buy Lomac's Accord. Great price, great on gas, and already slightly modded tastefully.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gazorcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,191 Times in 481 Posts
start lurking because this question or ones very similar have been asked over and over again. the answers are always the same....SEARCH
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
consider cost AFTER purchasing. e.g. insurance / common parts (clutch, fluids, brake pads). They may add up and cause you to be over your 7k budget within months.

You will have quite a variety to choose from for 5-7k IMO. Maybe look for a "tuner" type car that will be fun to drive and easier to sell when you are on to the next car such as an EG6, EK9, DA/DC2, Miata, S13...
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
there are some choices in the FS section of RS... like this one:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/68830...ntegra-ls.html

(i don't know this car personally but you get an idea)
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa View Post
Welcome to Revscene!

IMO
1.) with 7k budget, I'll spend 5k on purchasing the car and the rest on maintenance. ( Integras are good choice)
2.) Bring a friend with you and take the car to a mechanic.
3.) Integra, Civic, 1.7EL Less pratical: RSX, MR2, Prelude,

How about this one?
2001 ACURA 1.7 EL RARE 5 SPEED MANUAL POWER SUNROOF LEATHER INSPECTED
or this one?
2002 Lexus 300 GS (price reduced)
Thanks! im looking forward to spending my time here finally taking the time to learn more about actually doing car tuning/maintenance stuff since im the guy that just likes to drive and not really care about personally taking car of the car lol.

1. hm, sounds like a solid plan, wouldnt want to overspend on the car alone only to spend more to do minor fix ups and maintenance
2. could u recommend any solid mechanics i could keep in mind when the time comes?
3. yea, those are generally the once i see quite a bit on autotrader, a friend of mine told me to stay away from mr2s as a first car since if i ever do need to do any maintenance on it, since its mid engined its more of a pain in the ass to get into.

thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
start lurking because this question or ones very similar have been asked over and over again. the answers are always the same....SEARCH
trust me, ive lurked around quite a bit and for a long while now since im the type of guy that like to do his research well beforehand.

ive gotten general ideas of what to look into and what to look out for but the purpose of me making my own thread was to just get a more tailored opinion from people specifically for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy89 View Post
consider cost AFTER purchasing. e.g. insurance / common parts (clutch, fluids, brake pads). They may add up and cause you to be over your 7k budget within months.

You will have quite a variety to choose from for 5-7k IMO. Maybe look for a "tuner" type car that will be fun to drive and easier to sell when you are on to the next car such as an EG6, EK9, DA/DC2, Miata, S13...
The clutch funds might take quite a large portion of my budget haha, but im pretty good at keeping within my budget for generally everything that i put my money into.

yea there are quite a bit of cars to choose from but the only thing thats hard to find imo is a relatively clean unmolested car since people's taste and preferences differ when it comes to car tuning and modifications.

im leaning towards a NA miata for now since they light little cars that would be fun to toss around since im not one for huge power and massive turbos
Old 09-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #9

http://www.revscene.net/forums/68714...onversion.html

*EDIT* Nvm just noticed you only wanted to spend about 5k on buying the car. I would try looking for an RSX or S13.

Last edited by Tr1ll; 09-30-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #10

^ damn, if my budget was higher, that would've been a hell of a nice car to consider
Old 09-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I tried looking for a RSX for around 5k...they were likely rebuilts or rediculously high KMs (300k+)
Also keep in mind that the integra (2d) and RSX are actually considered hatchbacks, so thats roughly 2-300 more on your insurance.
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Witness protection

if you have no options, have bcaa do the vehicle inspection.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Witness protection

here's another one:

1996 acura integra (manual)
Old 09-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazorcoop View Post
Buy Lomac's Accord. Great price, great on gas, and already slightly modded tastefully.
Posted via RS Mobile

http://www.revscene.net/forums/68809...e-%245000.html

lol

Shameless plug
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #15
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
More on topic, however, it really depends on what you're looking to get. I know you mentioned something that's more of a driver's car rather than one that's practical, but how many compromises are you willing to make? I know people that DD their M3's, Miata's, S13's, etc., all year round, regardless of the weather. Do you want a two seater or something that can carry passengers comfortably? Coupe, sedan, wagon or convertible? Something unique or are you okay with something you see a million of every day? How much are you looking to modify it and are you okay with having something custom fabricated in the event you pick a rarer car that doesn't have a big aftermarket following? Are you capable of performing basic repairs yourself (oil changes, brakes, valve cover gaskets, o2 sensors) and, if so, do you want something that's easy to work on? Cars will break down -- it's a given -- but certain cars are theoretically more reliable than others, and many are easier to work on than others when the inevitable does happen.

There are a million questions you should ask yourself before going out and buying a car because it looks cool.

There are always the typical RS answers for that particular price range - Civic, FC RX7, NA Miata, S13, etc - along with the not-so-typical ones - Mustang, 2g Probe, MK2/3 GTI, MK2 Jetta GTX/GLI, 1st/2nd gen Subaru Legacy GT (wagon!), etc.

It's just really amounts to figuring out what you want and what you're willing to live with and sacrifice.

edit: I think I just found my next article topic for the front page.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #16
Witness protection

stay away from awd for learning manual trans... clutch replacement on those will cost you dearly (jump to around 13:00)

as an ex-vw owner, stay away from euros imo. the older they get the more unreliable they become and the parts don't come any cheaper with age. you may end up spending more time wrenching than driving in this price range.

Last edited by thumper; 10-01-2013 at 12:09 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
More on topic, however, it really depends on what you're looking to get. I know you mentioned something that's more of a driver's car rather than one that's practical, but how many compromises are you willing to make? I know people that DD their M3's, Miata's, S13's, etc., all year round, regardless of the weather. Do you want a two seater or something that can carry passengers comfortably? Coupe, sedan, wagon or convertible? Something unique or are you okay with something you see a million of every day? How much are you looking to modify it and are you okay with having something custom fabricated in the event you pick a rarer car that doesn't have a big aftermarket following? Are you capable of performing basic repairs yourself (oil changes, brakes, valve cover gaskets, o2 sensors) and, if so, do you want something that's easy to work on? Cars will break down -- it's a given -- but certain cars are theoretically more reliable than others, and many are easier to work on than others when the inevitable does happen.

There are a million questions you should ask yourself before going out and buying a car because it looks cool.

There are always the typical RS answers for that particular price range - Civic, FC RX7, NA Miata, S13, etc - along with the not-so-typical ones - Mustang, 2g Probe, MK2/3 GTI, MK2 Jetta GTX/GLI, 1st/2nd gen Subaru Legacy GT (wagon!), etc.

It's just really amounts to figuring out what you want and what you're willing to live with and sacrifice.

edit: I think I just found my next article topic for the front page.
As far as storage space and driving friends around, as long as i can fit like a medium sized suit case in the truck im totally fine with that. As for friends, as bro as the thing it is to car pool and drive friends around, we all know that friends=extra weight, and extra weight just worsens fuel economy and handling lol, so im totally fine with just a 2 seater or a coupe with horrendous rear "seats"

Im totally fine with any body style as long as it isnt a massive friggin car since ive been driving my mums big ass 7 seater suv for the past 2 years, and i think the only convertibles im ok with is a honda s2k or a mx5.

Having a relatively generic car is quite ok with me since ill be spending most of my time inside and driving it (hopefully) rather than looking at it comparing to the hundreds that are one the street (honda civics ) dont think ill go for any crazy rarer cars since i dont want to invest too much money in looking for parts if i ever do need to replace anything

The only modifications im probably gonna do to it is just gonna be suspension to handle better, exhaust perhaps, and like rims and wheels since i dont plan on having it forever, but that might change depending on how much i love the car once i actually get it haha

Honestly, i only really know how to change oil and thats it lol, but when i do get my own car, i do plan on learning how to do at least all the basic maintenance so i can save money from the dreadful labor fees

Yea, there is still a crap ton for me to research and learn before i buy a car but thats why im looking and just scouring forums months in advance so i feel fully capable when the time comes. But thanks for all the insight mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
stay away from awd for learning manual trans... clutch replacement on those will cost you dearly (jump to around 13:00)

Subaru Impreza WRX - YouTube

as an ex-vw owner, stay away from euros imo. the older they get the more unreliable they become and the parts don't come any cheaper with age. you may end up spending more time wrenching than driving in this price range.
yikes, dont think id be able to learn how to do that nor do i want to spend crazy amounts of money on labor on replacing that :/
Old 10-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Lots of cars you could pick at that 5k range... almost endless.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #19
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
^ Does that include a 1991 Toyota Supra Twin turbo R (JZA70)- That happens to be in Dark Green Mica Metallic?

Spoiler!

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
yes it does. 6k amd itll come with a set of brand new coils!!
Posted via RS Mobile
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: