REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   So.. You want a brake inspection at Cdn Tire? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688757-so-you-want-brake-inspection-cdn-tire.html)

Acura604 09-30-2013 05:41 PM

So.. You want a brake inspection at Cdn Tire?

Courtesy of CTV - although most likely an isolated incident.

A Vancouver musician is upset with the reaction he’s received from a major Canadian automotive store, after the wheels on his car flew off in what could have been a deadly accident.
James Justin took his 1997 Volkswagon Golf into Canadian Tire in White Rock in July to get his brakes checked.
The estimate was expensive, so Justin decided to have his own mechanic do the work instead, and asked Canadian Tire to put the wheels back on. He then drove away.
Justin had just pulled off the highway, and was blocks away from his Vancouver home, when disaster struck.
“I felt my back wheels. I was starting to lose control in some way, so I did a right shoulder check, was pulling over to the inside lane when everything came apart," he said.
Justin’s car smashed to the ground when both rear wheels flew off. One rolled into oncoming traffic while the other ended up in a public park.
"It honestly felt like I was in a cartoon. The undercarriage of the car is hitting the cement. It hit with a jolt. Then watching my wheels roll off in front of me. It's a bit of a shock, isn't it?" said Justin.
The car was damaged, but Justin knows it could have been a lot worse.
"When you look at the idea, on the highway you're traveling 100 kilometres an hour, vehicles behind, in front, anything could have happened. You're looking at serious injuries to multiple fatalities," he said.
At first, Justin says the general manager of the White Rock Canadian Tire was apologetic, and arranged to get him a rental car. But the Vancouver man only recently got his damaged Volkswagen back from the insurance company that took over the file from Canadian Tire and he's still waiting for compensation.
"Eight weeks later this case is still ongoing, out of pocket expenses, for towing, rental vehicles,” he said.
After Steele on Your Side made several requests for an interview with Canadian Tire, the company’s public relations department emailed to say they were unable to provide a spokesperson to speak on the issue.
But CTV emailed photos of the incident to Canadian Tire's CEO, appealing to him to take a closer look at Justin’s case. The company's VP of communications, Robert Nicol, emailed back to say: "We're very disappointed to hear about this incident. It's simply not acceptable," and that "we acted quickly to investigate and immediately apologized to the customer."
Justin says he’s pleased the company is now getting involved with his situation and hopes new measures can be put in place so that a similar situation does not happen again.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1..._300/image.gif
Posted via RS Mobile

smoothie. 09-30-2013 06:06 PM

*Justin decided to have his own mechanic do the work instead, and asked Canadian Tire to put the wheels back on. *

What doesn't seem right here?
Posted via RS Mobile

boostfever 09-30-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 8330371)
*Justin decided to have his own mechanic do the work instead, and asked Canadian Tire to put the wheels back on. *

Posted via RS Mobile

Canadian Tire didn't torque his wheels. Not very hard to understand...

This happens a lot unfortunately. Had a similar incident with an E36 M3 from work on the way back from Big-O Tires in West Van. I found out sooner though and pulled over and tighten all the nuts.

kr4l 09-30-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boostfever (Post 8330374)
Canadian Tire didn't torque his wheels. Not very hard to understand...

He has is own mechanic, yet went to Canadian tire.. Why?
Posted via RS Mobile

BrRsn 09-30-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 8330371)

Posted via RS Mobile

He was driving home from canadian tire, after deciding it'd be better to have his own mechanic fix it another day.

Worded poorly.

I've had some great experiences with canadian tire lol -- guess it's hit and miss. Some asshole cut the valve stems off my new car a few years back, guy at canadian tire fixed it for free

tipy 09-30-2013 06:17 PM

crappy tire ftw:suspicious:

multicartual 09-30-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 8330378)
He was driving home from canadian tire, after deciding it'd be better to have his own mechanic fix it another day.

Worded poorly.

I've had some great experiences with canadian tire lol -- guess it's hit and miss. Some asshole cut the valve stems off my new car a few years back, guy at canadian tire fixed it for free

I had an incident with a broken axle in Penticton years ago, was stranded and needed to get back to work in like 24 hours. The manager of the Canadian Tire's shop actually pulled an all-nighter to get my car fixed, charged me the normal rate, and even drove the car out to where I was staying so I could get back in time so I didn't get fired.

So many good experiences with Canadian Tire over the years :)

Splinter 09-30-2013 07:05 PM

Stuff like this can happen anywhere. Turns out mechanics are human beings too, regardless of who their employer is.

Clearly it's not acceptable, but when something like this happens at a big chain, it doesn't mean all the mechanics at all the locations of that chain are going to do the same thing.

dared3vil0 09-30-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8330390)
I had an incident with a broken axle in Penticton years ago, was stranded and needed to get back to work in like 24 hours. The manager of the Canadian Tire's shop actually pulled an all-nighter to get my car fixed, charged me the normal rate, and even drove the car out to where I was staying so I could get back in time so I didn't get fired.

So many good experiences with Canadian Tire over the years :)

A good story about Canadian tire...?

What's the saying? If you're going to lie, at least make it believable?

:troll: :lawl:

Gridlock 09-30-2013 07:23 PM

The horror story to positive story ratio with Canadian Tire is too damn high!

BrRsn 09-30-2013 07:30 PM

^ They probably run community programs to help kids/students find jobs in the trade, and as such they probably hire a disproportionately high number of apprentices

ergo, johnny stoner, the shop apprentice, forgot to torque the lugs

xpl0sive 09-30-2013 08:36 PM

my buddy had the same thing happen at kal tire. They didn't toque his wheels after a tire change and his front wheel came off on the freeway doing 100km/h.... he smoked the barrier and totalled his brand new truck. I don't really trust any shop 100% anymore.

dared3vil0 09-30-2013 08:55 PM

I think i'm bringing a torque wrench next time kal tire mounts and balances a set of tires for me...

Splinter 09-30-2013 09:26 PM

I always re-torque my wheels after going to a tire shop.

Even if they did it correctly, the metal can relax and give up some of the tension. It's good practice.

meme405 09-30-2013 09:35 PM

After this incident calling it Cambodian Tire is an insult to all the Cambodians...:lawl:

- kT 09-30-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

At first, Justin says the general manager of the White Rock Canadian Tire was apologetic, and arranged to get him a rental car. But the Vancouver man only recently got his damaged Volkswagen back from the insurance company that took over the file from Canadian Tire and he's still waiting for compensation.
"Eight weeks later this case is still ongoing, out of pocket expenses, for towing, rental vehicles,” he said.
so to be clear.. the GM of the canadian tire he went to was apologetic, and also tried to make the situation better by getting him into a rental, yet he's gonna cry wolf and go to the media because the case is still ongoing eight weeks later?

first off, that isn't even a fault of canadian tire anymore, that's their insurance company - and if he's bitching at 8 weeks in, i can't wait to see his reaction when the case is finally concluded (likely at least months later) and he gets all his money back

shit happens, one tech forgot to torque the wheels - it could happen to anybody. as long as CT did/is trying to rectify, i don't see why this guy had to go and escalate it by going to the media. he's not the first guy to lose a wheel because a tech forgot a vital step, and he won't be the last. all this did was damage a shop's reputation - but maybe that's all he was going for lol

fliptuner 09-30-2013 10:47 PM

^^^ In all fairness, the guy drives a '97 Golf, maybe he can't afford to continue paying for a rental, out of pocket.

What I'm wondering is, couldn't he have gone through ICBC, been given a rental til ICBC assessed the damages and repaired/replaced the vehicle and had CT reimburse them?

320icar 10-01-2013 01:52 AM

Icbc doesn't give anybody a rental. You have to pay an extra premium I believe where if you are in an accident, a rental car is provided for you.

To my knowledge. I may be wrong
Posted via RS Mobile

bigzz786786 10-01-2013 06:08 AM

^it's about an extra 100 a year on your insurance. I've had a pretty shitty experience with Canadian tire on 3 road. I was parting out my car and tried to remove my rear spacers, but the nut seized on the rears and I didnt have the 12 point sockets with the spiral grooves (it gets the nut out but destroys the nut) so I called canadian tire to do it(sunday) they said sure. When they ttook the car in, I waited for about an houra and then I hear a loud noise from the shop. They were using those flat head jack hammers (hand held) to remove the entire spacer with the wheel studs. I asked him what the hell are you doing? He said oh we couldn't get it out either. They didnt even have the socket that I asked in advanced. Long story short, a 1 hour job costed me 3 hours and 400 dollars.
Posted via RS Mobile

Timpo 10-01-2013 10:55 AM

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs8/i/200..._by_rebelx.jpg

melloman 10-01-2013 11:03 AM

Good for general parts, or around the house stuff.. But can safely say I'd never get my car serviced by them.

Gridlock 10-01-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8330820)
Good for general parts, or around the house stuff.. But can safely say I'd never get my car serviced by them.

There's only one solid reason that people do:

http://www.lowestrates.ca/sites/defa...creditcard.png

Store credit.

1990TSI 10-01-2013 11:33 AM

That'll teach him to abuse the free brake inspection program!

unfortunately this thing does happen every once in a while, but it sounds like the canadian tire did everything they could to make the situation right, and the guy still went to the media.

sad really.

snails 10-01-2013 12:08 PM

i do all the work to my car myself with the help of a friend that has his own shop

he has me in the habit of re torquing my wheels after we are done anything, most of the time after i roll the car out of his shop he goes around and checks them all himself with a torque wrench so it wont be his fault if my wheels go flying off down the road.

its also a good habit to recheck oil drain plugs... i have heard of way to many stories of those things falling out down the road and people seizing engines

thumper 10-01-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpl0sive (Post 8330493)
my buddy had the same thing happen at kal tire. They didn't toque his wheels after a tire change and his front wheel came off on the freeway doing 100km/h.... he smoked the barrier and totalled his brand new truck. I don't really trust any shop 100% anymore.

every time i go to kal tire they tell me to come back later to retorque the lug nuts... i guess they weren't kidding.

i wonder what did cdn tire quote for the brake service...