REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   US Government Shut Down (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688760-us-government-shut-down.html)

SpeedStars 10-01-2013 07:15 PM

Just realized... You can "legally" smuggle a R34/R32 into the US now I guess :badpokerface:

Ronin 10-01-2013 07:20 PM

IMASA 10-01-2013 08:21 PM

Great, my trip to the Grand Canyon next week is ruined.

westopher 10-02-2013 12:27 AM

Did they vote to fill in the grand canyon? Man shit is getting crazy.

Lomac 10-02-2013 01:39 AM

Soundy 10-02-2013 06:52 AM

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20a%20hit.jpg

Soundy 10-02-2013 08:06 AM

Hyundai Deferring Car Payments For U.S. Federal Employees During Gov?t Shutdown ? Consumerist

Ronin 10-02-2013 10:11 AM

It's what everyone's thinking.

I hate that so many Republicans base their decisions on religion rather than logic and reason.

dinosaur 10-02-2013 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 18711

westopher 10-02-2013 10:51 AM

LOL I saw that on God's facebook page yesterday. If you don't follow it on facebook I suggest you do. So funny.

Gridlock 10-02-2013 10:51 AM

It's not religion in and of itself. It's the conservative movement that has worked both extremely well, and extremely poorly in maintaining itself. That conservative movement contains a vocal religious component.

There is within their party a large group of hard right people. We all know this. They vote, and vote hard and will support the people they want to see win right through the system with rallies, money and voter turnout. The system itself has slowly but surely been changed to create easier victories in future elections. We're talking about republicans in charge of electoral boundaries for republicans. We're talking republicans in charge of laws for electoral mechanics for elections with republicans.

This has been enough to create a House where the republicans are guaranteed victory. You, at this time cannot shake them out of control.

So as a result, you have a system where they can now cater to the hard-right because they are the ones that they owe their election to. There are moderate republicans the same as there are moderate democrats. You don't hear from them. No one cares what they have to say. They don't need to shape their message for the general election, because its already set. They need to shape their message for the ultra conservatives to keep their support.

So, this is enough to lock the house. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be enough to lock anything else. The ultra conservatives can't come out in enough volume to gain senate or presidency. Romney was a dream boat candidate...if you are a hard core R, and they couldn't bring him home.

urrh 10-02-2013 01:56 PM

america doesn't negotiate with terrorists.
time to stamp out those house republicans

Acura604 10-02-2013 03:02 PM

...the next deadline:

Congress has until Oct. 17 before the Treasury exceeds its borrowing capacity, which means the U.S. will no longer be able to pay all its bills in full.

murd0c 10-02-2013 03:11 PM

Then China goes in and the US turns into the United States republic of China :troll:

xpl0sive 10-02-2013 03:45 PM

and then US businesses stop having everything made in China and China goes back to the dark ages

Ronin 10-02-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8331617)
Then China goes in and the US turns into the United States republic of China :troll:

"What happened to you, China? You used to be cool..."

Gridlock 10-02-2013 04:05 PM

Calling it now...I think they'll default the country.

I don't think they'd last long doing that, but I can't picture a scenario where the dems have anything to gain from negotiating and the pubs have anything to lose from going full retard.

The last time the dems negotiated a "peace agreement" they got the sequester(which like, wasn't that bad) but get held hostage again. So they can't keep being backed in a corner because now the republicans want more.

I think if they have the balls, they need to go all the way.

tarobbt 10-02-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urrh (Post 8331572)
america doesn't negotiate with terrorists.
time to stamp out those house republicans

You might as well stamp out half the general populace too.

FBI calls half of populace with 9/11 doubts potential terrorists

Pretty much if do not agree with the American government you are a threat to national security and the FBI has deemed you a terrorist. Even Homeland Security labeled returning Iraq troops potential terrorists.

I think it's time for a new chapter in US history where the entire government needs reforming from up and down. Just a matter of time before US implodes imo. Too much BS at home and too much BS on the world stage.

Spartacus 10-08-2013 08:19 AM

Doesnt look like its going to get any better. What do you guys think will happen if the us defaults? Will this have a huge affect on the canadian economy? What about canadian housing prices?
Posted via RS Mobile

dinosaur 10-08-2013 09:04 AM

This shut down sucks and I hope it ends soon for personal reasons...

A friend lives down there and is in the middle of her visa process. While this is happening, she is not allowed to travel. Last week her father died unexpectedly and in order to come back to Canada, she need to apply for bereavement pass....which she can not get because the Gov't has shut down. It is frustrating.

GLOW 10-08-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8335241)

A friend lives down there and is in the middle of her visa process. While this is happening, she is not allowed to travel. Last week her father died unexpectedly and in order to come back to Canada, she need to apply for bereavement pass....which she can not get because the Gov't has shut down. It is frustrating.

can she fly to bellingham, rent a car, and drive across on a 'day' trip with her current gov issued documentation, and then drive back to bellingham and fly back to her home afterwards?

dinosaur 10-08-2013 12:37 PM

Unfortunately, it is not as easy as that. She needs to be here for an extended period of time (2+ weeks) to handle everything. She is one of only two family members he had.

Thankful that there is no rush, at least. Still sucks though.

7seven 10-08-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8335241)

Is she not a Canadian or US citizen? She wouldn't require a visa to enter Canada. Or is she more concerned about being admitted back into the US since she is not a legal permanent US resident with a alien registration card or citizen?

dinosaur 10-08-2013 12:53 PM

She is Canadian and has been living (legally) in the US for several years.

She is currently applying for her work Visa (I don't know the exact details), but when the gov't is processing, you are not allowed to travel out of the country during that time. The process can take several months. She should be able to apply for some sort of special "pass" to allow her to travel back to Canada for extenuating circumstances but, of course, this requires a trip to government offices, evidence submitted, officials approving, etc....With those offices being closed, there isn't much she can do without compromising her current visa application.

As I said, dealing with the logistics of the death can be slowed (funeral, probate, etc), it is just a needless stress on top of an already difficult time.

MG1 10-08-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus (Post 8335226)
Doesnt look like its going to get any better. What do you guys think will happen if the us defaults? Will this have a huge affect on the canadian economy? What about canadian housing prices?
Posted via RS Mobile

It's complicated, but exchange rate might start going in our favour. Once US economy tanks, it's going to take some time to fix it.

Once people lose confidence in US currency it's going to snowball and go downhill. I think we are safe here, but ya never know..........