REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   US Government Shut Down (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688760-us-government-shut-down.html)

Gridlock 09-30-2013 08:12 PM

US Government Shut Down

Or: How a bunch of overpaid retards get to hold the government hostage over an obscure form of american law.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/30/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Quote:

(CNN) -- The U.S. government shutdown went into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET Tuesday after lawmakers in the House and the Senate could not agree on a spending bill to fund the government.
The two sides bickered and blamed for more than a week over Obamacare, the president's signature health care law. House Republicans insisted the spending bill include anti-Obamacare amendments. Senate Democrats were just as insistent that it didn't.
Federal employees who are deemed essential will continue working. But non-essential employees will be furloughed.
Most furloughed federal workers are supposed to be out of their offices within four hours of the start of business Tuesday....cont'd
It's a game of brinkmanship to see who can do the most damage to each other, with(hopefully) doing as little damage to the country.

No one wins.

kunoman1 09-30-2013 08:32 PM

Jeez...
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image...utdown_624.jpg

dinosaur 09-30-2013 08:40 PM

Guess nobody will be buying cheap gas tomorrow...

Graeme S 09-30-2013 08:43 PM

I really really hope that the backlash comes down hard on the Republicans so that 'murrica can move a little bit more progressive.

xpl0sive 09-30-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8330494)
Guess nobody will be buying cheap gas tomorrow...

why's that? Will border patrol be affected by this? I thought they were considered part of "National Security"

kunoman1 09-30-2013 08:55 PM

Border patrol is still operating as usual

willystyle 09-30-2013 09:00 PM

The U.S. government also needs to reform their political system. I find it absurd when a president of a nation gets held hostage like this when they are unable to pass a policy. At the end of the day, politicans get paid, and only their citizens lose. They should take a page out of our government and see how we operate up here. Harper may not be the most ideal PM, but at least, he can get most of his shit done.

Gridlock 09-30-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8330513)
The U.S. government also needs to reform their political system. I find it absurd when a president of a nation gets held hostage like this when they are unable to pass a policy. At the end of the day, politicans get paid, and only their citizens lose. They should take a page out of our government and see how we operate up here. Harper may not be the most ideal PM, but at least, he can get most of his shit done.

The checks and balances system is both the best form of government, and the worst.

It's great in that there are so many ways in which you can prevent things being passed that the majority of the population dislike.

On the flip side, it makes it easy for a vocal minority to log jam the system.

In Canada, yes Harper can get things done, but question period is for show and with a majority government and a do nothing senate system, there is very little anyone can do to oppose unpopular law-and as a result, our elections end up being a matter of voting the old guy out, as opposed to ever voting FOR someone.

StylinRed 09-30-2013 09:08 PM

not sure if it was noted but the politicians involved still get paid its just the little guy that gets screwed

dinosaur 09-30-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpl0sive (Post 8330504)
why's that? Will border patrol be affected by this? I thought they were considered part of "National Security"

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunoman1 (Post 8330508)
Border patrol is still operating as usual

Yeah, my bad. I read a poorly informed article that said the borders will not be open.

In realty, the borders will be open but with minimal staff. Expect delays (as much as a Tuesday goes).

willystyle 09-30-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8330518)
The checks and balances system is both the best form of government, and the worst.

It's great in that there are so many ways in which you can prevent things being passed that the majority of the population dislike.

On the flip side, it makes it easy for a vocal minority to log jam the system.

In Canada, yes Harper can get things done, but question period is for show and with a majority government and a do nothing senate system, there is very little anyone can do to oppose unpopular law-and as a result, our elections end up being a matter of voting the old guy out, as opposed to ever voting FOR someone.

Such as Obamacare?

I am FOR an abolish of the senate. They are overpaid, useless, and an economic drain to our political system.

Redlines_Daily 09-30-2013 09:37 PM

Here is a comprehensive list of what gets shut down if anyone is interested:

Government shutdown: What's closed, what's open?

kunoman1 09-30-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily (Post 8330542)
Here is a comprehensive list of what gets shut down if anyone is interested:

Government shutdown: What's closed, what's open?

Thats like a million people who wont be working..

*edit not 2 million can't count

4444 09-30-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8330461)

No one wins.

Moral of story

Gridlock 09-30-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8330537)
Such as Obamacare?

I am FOR an abolish of the senate. They are overpaid, useless, and an economic drain to our political system.

:)

Yeah, I totally thought of that as I wrote it.

Each side has a slightly different version of those events-Democrats got it through fair and square of course. Republicans barely lost it to a loophole.

The supreme court has been through it, and it passed again.

They aren't talking to anyone outside their core! They can't connect with anyone a shade off of ghost white. Or women. Or young people. Robot-Romney was their choice...choice to run for president. And I think they will lose more people to this fight on health care(shitty law or not) then they will gain from the right wing tribe.

Bouncing Bettys 10-01-2013 01:26 AM

Last week CBC radio was discussing the partisanship in the US and had some guy talking about how various Republicans were presented with various policies and asked their opinion. They seemed to be against any policy linked to Obama, even if it was a Republican policy falsely relabled with Obama's name.

Everything in the US becomes political and divided down party lines even when it has nothing to do with politics.

A book on climate change I read a few years ago highlighted this point quite well. While scientific conclusions and fact are more readily accepted in the rest of the Western World, in the US it often comes down to politics as to how something is perceived. One strategy to effect climate change is tighter regulations on pollution. Well in the US, conservatives hear increased regulations and they immediately oppose it. But if you were to tell these same conservatives that the best strategy to effect climate change is to deregulate things like nuclear power, they are suddenly onboard for preventing climate change.

We are starting to see this political atmosphere creep into Canadian politics.
Harper is dead set on getting oil pipelines pushed through, promoting the tar sands, deregulating clean water protections, etc. For better or worse, this behaviour is well expected but his government is putting a muzzle on scientists attempting to publish their findings. Its a war on science and information.

Harper's party also pushed Canada towards a two party system like in the states by combining the two right wing parties. The Liberals and NDP might soon have no choice but to combine if they ever hope to win a majority government.

threezero 10-01-2013 02:18 PM

I hope this doesn't affect usual business at the airport. Boarding a plane coming from the states tonight....
Posted via RS Mobile

Manic! 10-01-2013 04:08 PM

This is going to be a long one. I am thinking a week plus.

Lomac 10-01-2013 04:26 PM

All this over "Obamacare."

:rolleyes:

So they're worried about the costs of this new healthcare and they want to trim some of the fat to pay for it? I've got a simple solution... It's estimated that it'll cost $136 billion per year, so take some of the money out of the Dept of Defense budget ($682 billion last year alone) and redirect it to that. Is military spending really that much more important than the well-being of your own citizens?

CharlesInCharge 10-01-2013 04:31 PM

Political analyst Gordon Duff calls its a punishment for the country for not going to war with Syria.

Interesting thoughts by veteran Mike Harris on how government workers are not a wealth creating sector for America anyway... just consumers.

Graeme S 10-01-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8331016)
All this over "Obamacare."

:rolleyes:

So they're worried about the costs of this new healthcare and they want to trim some of the fat to pay for it? I've got a simple solution... It's estimated that it'll cost $136 billion per year, so take some of the money out of the Dept of Defense budget ($682 billion last year alone) and redirect it to that. Is military spending really that much more important than the well-being of your own citizens?

What good is insurance when the Nation is under attack? Do you want to be the one who strips our country's defences and gets us another 9/11? Why do you want to make government even bigger than it is now?! Don't you understand that government spending is the problem? Even if we take the money out of one place and put it in another, you're costing us jobs that we need, and wasting that money on jobs we don't!

[/republican]

Lomac 10-01-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8331025)
What good is insurance when the Nation is under attack? Do you want to be the one who strips our country's defences and gets us another 9/11? Why do you want to make government even bigger than it is now?! Don't you understand that government spending is the problem? Even if we take the money out of one place and put it in another, you're costing us jobs that we need, and wasting that money on jobs we don't!

[/republican]

lol

Oh, I know that would be exactly what they would say. Which is kinda sad, really.

How about this as food for thought... less military spending means fewer countries being "helped" with military aid... meaning fewer people having reason to hate you for invading without UN approval... meaning fewer chances of being attacked by "terrorists" or a foreign country. Stop playing into the 'Team America: World Police' mentality and you may suddenly realize the world becomes slightly more peaceful for you.

Just a thought.

Ludepower 10-01-2013 06:23 PM

I dont understand how the nation can come to a halt cause some cry baby kid (republican) wants their lollipop...especially when obamacare has been passed.

Theres a reason why Obama is on his second term. Let the man lead god dammit.

EmperorIS 10-01-2013 06:43 PM

George Bush doesn't care about black people.

StylinRed 10-01-2013 07:10 PM

surprised the USD rose against the CAD