REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Port Moody man fined $1000 for road rage incident (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688804-port-moody-man-fined-%241000-road-rage-incident.html)

Presto 10-02-2013 11:31 AM

Port Moody man fined $1000 for road rage incident

Port Moody man fined heavily for road rage incident | News1130

Quote:

PORT MOODY (NEWS1130) – A driver in Port Moody has been fined more than $1,000 after an apparent road rage incident. It happened around 10 a.m. yesterday on St. John’s Street, near Mary Street.

“Apparently, one driver took exception to another driver’s speed,” says Cst. Luke Van Winkle. “After yelling at the driver to slow down, a 39-year-old Port Moody resident threw a pen at the other person’s vehicle.”

The other driver is a 21-year-old from Port Coquitlam, and the officer says the younger man “changed lanes in front of the first vehicle, which resulted in a collision.”

The incident escalated from there. Van Winkle says the 21-year-old got out of his car to confront the man who had thrown the pen. “He began yelling at the driver and banging on his hood.”

Police say the older driver, concerned for his safety, decided to leave. Van Winkle says the younger man was knocked to the ground as the driver pulled away.

“The 21-year-old was taken to hospital was taken to hospital for minor injuries to his arm, and the 39-year-old was dealt with by police. He was issued a variety of tickets, including failure to remain at the scene of an accident, failing to render assistance, and driving without due care.”

He says each ticket is over $350. The 21-year-old has not been ticketed.

“We were fortunate enough to have a witness who watched everything go down and then followed the [39-year-old] home and was calling us, letting us know the license plate,” says the officer.

“If you’re upset when you’re out on the road, please don’t try to take matters into your own hands,” he adds. “Call the police using your hands-free. We can deal with these issues.”

“You don’t want to get yourself hurt over a traffic complaint.”

thumper 10-02-2013 11:36 AM

do we all have police phone numbers on their cell phones because we are not supposed to use 911 for this? i wish we had a common number that works for all municipalities/cities so i can just speedial one number.

EDIT: i am wrong. according to Soundy you are supposed to call 911 and the operator will decide whether it is an emergency or not: http://www.revscene.net/forums/68880...ml#post8331832

lowside67 10-02-2013 11:44 AM

So to clarify... The 21 year old changed lanes and caused a collision, then got out of his car to verbally intimidate the 39 year old driver, but only the older driver was issued fines? They clearly both did things that were wrong in this situation...

Iceman-19 10-02-2013 11:47 AM

The 39 year old instigated the entire thing though. People need to realize that other people don't give a fuck what they think about their situation and mind their own business.

91civicZC 10-02-2013 11:49 AM

Maybe I’m not understanding this because of the way its written.

Young guy speeds past old guy. Old guy yells and tosses a pen out the window hitting young guys car.

Young guy pulls in front, presumably breaking, Old guy hits him.

Young guy gets out and starts yelling and banging on the hood of the Old guys car.

Old guy leaves scene as his is scared for his safety, running over young guy in process.

Yeah, old guy should get tickets and probably charged, he ran over young guy and left scene, He could have stopped down the road and called the cops. But it sounds like young guy may be at least partly to blame here, no? Getting out and trying to intimidate another driver, banging on the hood of the car etc., seems like that needs to be addressed.

BrRsn 10-02-2013 11:54 AM

I can understand getting mad if someone's driving excessively slow ... but if someone's driving fast (past you, on presumably a 2-lane street), honestly, it has next to zero effect on you

Dummy got mad for no reason and instigated conflict, then he bitched out when the younger guy confronted him. Defend your opinion or don't hold one at all

Spoon 10-02-2013 12:13 PM

The older man must have extremely quick reactions if he threw a pen at a speeding car. Unless he caught up to him. Which would imply that he sped too? :fullofwin:

91civicZC 10-02-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8331498)
The 39 year old instigated the entire thing though. People need to realize that other people don't give a fuck what they think about their situation and mind their own business.

I half agree. Certainly tossing something out the window at another car, way out of line. Also if someone is driving faster than you, if there is a fast lane, stay out of it. It’s not up to anyone but the police to regulate someone’s speed. From the article no way to tell if this was just a case of the 39 year old wanting to tell this guy how to drive and piping up when he shouldn't have, or if the kid was driving in a way that put others needlessly at risk on a public road.

But, in the last few years I’ve noticed people are less willing to say something when someone is way out of line in a public place. People just put their head down and “mind their own business” like that’s a solution. If someone is driving like an ass hat (article makes no mention of actual speed etc, so no idea if this kid was or not), and it puts my family, myself, or my property in danger, I feel like I have a right to make comment on it to that person.

I think we see more and more people (especially young people) with the attitude of “ill do what I want, what are you going to do about it" out in public because they have never been held accountable, no one is willing to at least say “That’s out of line”. Do what you want how you want on your property with your stuff, but when out in public, at least try to spare a thought to how your actions can effect others around you that have to be in the same space as you.

Too much hand holding and time outs with an everyone wins for participating, not enough beatings and tough luck try harder next times for a lot of young people now.

91civicZC 10-02-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8331509)
The older man must have extremely quick reactions if he threw a pen at a speeding car. Unless he caught up to him. Which would imply that he sped too? :fullofwin:

LOL good point, if he actually bothered to catch up to the guy and THEN toss a pen at the car, that deserves a beating.

fishCak3s 10-02-2013 01:17 PM

Wonder how ICBC is going to deal with the accident

radioman 10-02-2013 01:20 PM

Both should be forced to carpool with each other as a punishment.

Filmed and then aired as an internet show.

Could be called something like "This guy, and that guy."

duy- 10-02-2013 01:54 PM

^lol you should be a judge, cruel and unusual punishments

Iceman-19 10-02-2013 04:42 PM

Since I live in Port Moody, I can tell you there are a lot of self entitled douche bags who think the world revolves around them living out here, and that everyone should do what they say. I say he probably got what he deserved.

xilley 10-02-2013 05:01 PM

very surprised the young man got away with no tickets what so ever.

usually the one going out and going insane are the ones that gets in shit.. but I guess its because the old man hit him..

kr4l 10-02-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilley (Post 8331697)
very surprised the young man got away with no tickets what so ever.

usually the one going out and going insane are the ones that gets in shit.. but I guess its because the old man hit him..

Why would the young guy get any tickets?

Just because the old guy said he was speeding doesn't mean he was(but who knows, he probably was).

Old guy was man enough to toss a pen at buddy's car but scared when shit went down. He probably shouldn't of done anything to begin with.

Young guy technically didn't do anything wrong. Old guy did by hitting him and fleeing
Posted via RS Mobile

meme405 10-02-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr4l (Post 8331706)
Young guy technically didn't do anything wrong. Old guy did by hitting him and fleeing
Posted via RS Mobile

Well I dont know about that, I mean normally after an accident I don't get out of my car and start punching and banging on someone elses car. So I wouldn't say he didn't do anything wrong, but the old guy certainly instigated here.

Iceman-19 10-02-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8331731)
Well I dont know about that, I mean normally after an accident I don't get out of my car and start punching and banging on someone elses car. So I wouldn't say he didn't do anything wrong, but the old guy certainly instigated here.

Thats because you name your SUV Brianna. You are a beta. This guy clearly was pissed that he had aggrivated him.

punkwax 10-02-2013 06:03 PM

^ :rofl:

sdubfid 10-02-2013 06:29 PM

Pen 15 club strikes again

kr4l 10-02-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8331731)

What accident? He said some stuff and threw a pen at his car. Buddy got mad (which most would), got out and beat on his car. Old guy decides to book it because he ain't tough guy no more and knocked him down an drove off
Posted via RS Mobile

Soundy 10-02-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 8331490)
do we all have police phone numbers on their cell phones because we are not supposed to use 911 for this?

Says who?

According to the Surrey RCMP web page, "You should only use 911 when an immediate police response is required." - seems to me, witnessing - or worse, being involved in - a road rage incident in progress qualifies.

The Edmonton Police Service's website says "In all cases of an emergency involving a life threatening situation, or a crime in progress, dial 911 immediately."

We've seen plenty of news items this past summer with police stating 911 should be used to report dogs locked in hot cars, too, so why wouldn't two guys playing Death Race 2000 in traffic count?

The VPD website is even broader: "If you are unsure how serious an incident is, call 911 and they will advise whether or not to call the non-emergency number (604) 717-3321."

twitchyzero 10-02-2013 08:49 PM

road rage would count as an emergency
it's not that you see a suspicious activity or you just had a B&E at your residence...it's something that's going down now and could escalate into violence

meme405 10-02-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr4l (Post 8331818)
What accident? He said some stuff and threw a pen at his car. Buddy got mad (which most would), got out and beat on his car. Old guy decides to book it because he ain't tough guy no more and knocked him down an drove off
Posted via RS Mobile

Quote:

“changed lanes in front of the first vehicle, which resulted in a collision.”
I would classify a collision as an accident? How about you?

meme405 10-02-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8331734)
Thats because you name your SUV Brianna. You are a beta. This guy clearly was pissed that he had aggrivated him.

I suppose you would prefer I name her as a him and call him charlie, then I could be as Gay as you?:failed:

thumper 10-03-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8331832)
Says who?

According to the Surrey RCMP web page, "You should only use 911 when an immediate police response is required." - seems to me, witnessing - or worse, being involved in - a road rage incident in progress qualifies.

The Edmonton Police Service's website says "In all cases of an emergency involving a life threatening situation, or a crime in progress, dial 911 immediately."

We've seen plenty of news items this past summer with police stating 911 should be used to report dogs locked in hot cars, too, so why wouldn't two guys playing Death Race 2000 in traffic count?

The VPD website is even broader: "If you are unsure how serious an incident is, call 911 and they will advise whether or not to call the non-emergency number (604) 717-3321."

i stand corrected then. my confusion was based on an online news report i had read earlier this year (but this is unsubstantiated because i haven't been able to find it). i think it was in white rock where it said someone tried to report a reckless driver using 911 and they were told to call the non-emergency number instead because it was not considered to be an emergency. that falls in line with what you said about the vpd website.