REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

2013 MX5 launched in SUPER SLOW MOTION! [VIDEO]

Even though I've owned a 2001 NB Miata previously, it wasn't until driving this 2013 PRHT for the following review that has cemented the Miata in my mind as a truly great driver's car. And to take it all in context, I offer my comparison with my other modern day bargain hero, the FT86 FRS and BRZ!

VIDEO!

Between the two... if I could have only one car, it would still be an '86, no question. Stiffer, bigger, more spacious inside, more practical, better interior, newer, the list goes on. But considered purely as a driving experience, I think the MX-5 offers a REALLY compelling alternative to having fun. They are so different that I would actually consider having BOTH if I could.

So... who here drives an MX5? What gen? If not... would you rock one?

For the image conscious, the biggest downside seems to be that of driving a small girly car. Would that bother you in any way?

Otherwise, in my humble opinion, there are not many contemporary driving experiences as good as this one.

Advertisement
driveopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

There is no doubt that all generations of the MX-5 are wonderful to drive, and as the models progress they look less and less girly.

The current design looks very masculine and in my mind, still modern, but Good Lord is that interior due for a redesign.
ScratchedMy991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #3

At a quick glance it looked like the s2000's fater little brother.

good job mazda.
friedn00dles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Good review.

Pretty much sums up for what it is. It has it's limitations but who cares, it was just so fun to drive. I owned a 2006 NC Limited prior to having kids. To this day I still miss the car. Once I start driving, even I had a troubled day, I forget all about and and just smile. I can drive on and on with no destination in mind. When kids are older, I will get another roadster.

Last edited by Vulgate; 11-14-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Vulgate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Them wheels
Tr1ll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

The FRS/BRZ back seats don't really hold people, so the major advantage is more storage in the trunk/folded down back seats, which is slightly negated by the fact that it doesn't employ a hatch.

The Miata is a purpose-built 2 seater. The ability to drop the top, especially with the power hard top option, makes this a hands down winner IMO. This adds so much to the enjoyment factor, even over the driftability/ease of chassis control in the 86. But you have to consider off the lot pricing, a base Miata is $29k MSRP with no A/C and basic 16" wheels, the GS with power hardtop is $36k. For comparison's sake, the BRZ Sport Tech fully equipped is $29k MSRP, so you're definitely paying a premium for the convertible factor.

Those who feel uneasy driving a 'girly car', well you know what they say about overcompensation...
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
The FRS/BRZ back seats don't really hold people, so the major advantage is more storage in the trunk/folded down back seats, which is slightly negated by the fact that it doesn't employ a hatch.
Yes, but even without the benefit of the hatch, the FRS/BRZ trunk holds a TON of stuff. I can fit all my camera gear in there, and I've seen people slide in an entire 40" + television and all kinds of other stuff.

A lot more examples of trunk use in this thread here.

Quote:
The Miata is a purpose-built 2 seater. The ability to drop the top, especially with the power hard top option, makes this a hands down winner IMO. This adds so much to the enjoyment factor, even over the driftability/ease of chassis control in the 86. But you have to consider off the lot pricing, a base Miata is $29k MSRP with no A/C and basic 16" wheels, the GS with power hardtop is $36k. For comparison's sake, the BRZ Sport Tech fully equipped is $29k MSRP, so you're definitely paying a premium for the convertible factor.

Those who feel uneasy driving a 'girly car', well you know what they say about overcompensation...
Totally agreed. The super sparse equipment levels (29k with no A/C?!) leaves a lot to be desired, but the ability to drop the top with PRHT makes you forget everything.
driveopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
UFO

Well for $7k extra, it'd better make you forget everything

FWIW cash price on the Miata GS with PRHT is $31k which is much more inline

I still maintain the FRS trunk is limited, it CAN be useful if you are purposeful and carrying specific things to make it useful. But for daily utility, it's just meh. I was able to carry myself and a passenger and both our hockey gear in my old MR2, but I would never consider that a practical utility car by any stretch of the imagination. Not a big beef with it, one doesn't buy an FRS because of its utility and trunk capacity.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
^ One of the good things about American cars, the trunk is CAVERNOUS! I fit 4 whees and tires into mine...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
I owned an NA and would absolutely own one again. Anyone who makes fun of them clearly has never driven one
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #11
UFO

A Mustang and FRS don't really fit into the same segment. It's like comparing a Corvette with a Miata
Old 10-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #12
I subscribe to Revscene

I wanted to do that slow-mo thing

New Greater Vancouver BMW Forums..

GV///Bimmers
elkayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
I picked up an 08 Miata in March as a weekend car and when I've gone a while without driving it I think that I should get rid of it since it's highly impractical, noisy, not exactly comfortable etc but then I get in and by the time I shift into 2nd gear I'm all "NAAHHHHHHHH, not gonna sell it".

It's hard to have so much fun for so little money.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
NA is a great little car but people are asking way too much money for them. Crazy
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote