REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

So all these land owners practically don't own squat, since the government can come at any time and take the land if they so choose?
Advertisement
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #27
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
canada has money to expand military?
Old 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #28
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
^for a split nanosecond, I thought the building was being towed down a street......
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #29
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
canada has money to expand military?
It's le JTF...
Old 10-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #30
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPoola View Post
So all these land owners practically don't own squat, since the government can come at any time and take the land if they so choose?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eminent_domain
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #31
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The Prime Minister's Office and the Privy Council Office's have mandated the title, "Government of Canada," in federal communications be replaced by the words, "Harper Government." Harper, effectively, branded every federal government action as his own through the directive.

The colonial government taking land from first nations people was wrong, and that does not make it okay for the federal government to repeat the wrong centuries later.
It doesn't make it "okay", no (unless that land is given to the natives, I guess you could argue). But it isn't more or less wrong either, especially when that government has a particular law that all people live under, as StylinRed posted.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #32
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
This fucking sucks for this guy. I feel for him, but you know this happens all the time, right? It happened two years ago in Coquitlam, when they announce the route of the skytrain line and set out to "acquire land" required to build it.

They go and say, "your house is worth 550k. Here's 600k." It just so happens that in this case, the man didn't want money. I don't blame him. Offer him millions. He still doesn't want it. Money is no good to him.

So it sucks, but please don't equate this to stealing land from natives. This is buying land from people. It just so happens that the buyer is the government, and they don't want to move their military base because of you.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #33
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Central Park in NY was created the same way. Think there just happened to be a perfectly empty rectangular plot of land smack in Manhattan? It was acquired from the African American community who were living there through eminent domain. Many were pissed and many happily took the money. You can't please everyone.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #34
MG1

The last time the "government" stole from its people was during WWII - Internment.

Many of my friends' parents lost their land, fishing vessels, home, cars, etc. Years later an apology was given and some money given (redress). Imagine those who lost huge acreage - what it would be worth now. Some at least got 10¢ on the dollar for their property/belongings, while many got absolutely nothing. No time to get anything. You were hearded into stalls at the PNE and shipped off with basically the clothes on your back and a couple of bags. It was chaos.

At least this guy gets full market value and more. Not that the situation is not tragic. Just that many have suffered a helluva lot more.

BTW, some people get upset about the head tax and compare it to the injustice of the internment of Canadians of Japanese descent. Well, those people who were being taxed to come to Canada were not Canadian citizens (yet). The people who were interned during WWII were Canadian citizens.

Just putting it out there.

As mentioned by others, lots of injustices. Canada has had its share of WTF? moments.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #35
MG1

Also, while I'm at it, the Queen of England still has the power to take shit away from us Canadians. Some really obscure laws. Not that any monarch in their right mind would exercise their rights.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #36
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
This fucking sucks for this guy. I feel for him, but you know this happens all the time, right? It happened two years ago in Coquitlam, when they announce the route of the skytrain line and set out to "acquire land" required to build it.

They go and say, "your house is worth 550k. Here's 600k." It just so happens that in this case, the man didn't want money. I don't blame him. Offer him millions. He still doesn't want it. Money is no good to him.

So it sucks, but please don't equate this to stealing land from natives. This is buying land from people. It just so happens that the buyer is the government, and they don't want to move their military base because of you.
The comparison to the Skytrain expansion in Coquitlam is quite different, and any comparison to first nations peoples' experiences inappropriate. Here, the connection to the land is very fundamental like that first nations people possess, and therefore deserves more consideration than simple cases, so the comparison seems justifiable.

Although past-events in Canadian history are more horrific, this similarity shows we're learning from history only in a shallow way.

Last edited by MindBomber; 10-10-2013 at 07:01 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #37
Banned By Establishment

When it comes to anything regarding the JTF2, you will always lose the battle as they get first priority with everything.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #38
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Why don't they have their installation somewhere desolate and isolated like an island?! It's not a retirement home or a hospital, it's for a military special operations unit.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #39
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Why don't they have their installation somewhere desolate and isolated like an island?! It's not a retirement home or a hospital, it's for a military special operations unit.
CFB Trenton is the main transport hub for the CF. The JTF2 have a C-17 on standby for deployment 24/7 and guess where all our C-17's are stationed...that's right, CFB Trenton. Some guys farm is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #40
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
The last time the "government" stole from its people was during WWII - Internment.

Many of my friends' parents lost their land, fishing vessels, home, cars, etc. Years later an apology was given and some money given (redress). Imagine those who lost huge acreage - what it would be worth now. Some at least got 10¢ on the dollar for their property/belongings, while many got absolutely nothing. No time to get anything. You were hearded into stalls at the PNE and shipped off with basically the clothes on your back and a couple of bags. It was chaos.

At least this guy gets full market value and more. Not that the situation is not tragic. Just that many have suffered a helluva lot more.

BTW, some people get upset about the head tax and compare it to the injustice of the internment of Canadians of Japanese descent. Well, those people who were being taxed to come to Canada were not Canadian citizens (yet). The people who were interned during WWII were Canadian citizens.

Just putting it out there.

As mentioned by others, lots of injustices. Canada has had its share of WTF? moments.
It's not stealing.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #41
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The comparison to the Skytrain expansion in Coquitlam is quite different, and any comparison to first nations peoples' experiences inappropriate. Here, the connection to the land is very fundamental like that first nations people possess, and therefore deserves more consideration than simple cases, so the comparison seems justifiable.

Although past-events in Canadian history are more horrific, this similarity shows we're learning from history only in a shallow way.
I see it as much the same thing. I can have a connection with my house, and with my land in the same way, and it fucking sucks when someone takes it away from you...money or not.

But, remove yourself a little bit and realize that this happens more than just this once, and its not some draconian process where they drag him from the land kicking and screaming.

Yes, his land has a sentimental value which is priceless, but its NOT stealing.

I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but to make that case I am not willing to connect it to Japanese internment, and native resettlement. I do not accept that they are the same thing.

It could be way worse. In the states, they'll use eminent domain to put up a strip mall(not often, but it has happened. It's argued to be in the greater good for the people of the community).
Old 10-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #42
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
if this was a war hero/founder of a nearby town's property handed down over 200 years then wouldn't this already been recognized by gov't as a historic site?
at least they weren't raping your women and children and giving you smallpox blankets.
still..I feel for the Meyer family. Would they have giving it up easier if it was for a hopsital/hospice/school rather than for military purposes? I understand it's an expansion of CFB Trenton but still..
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
When it comes to anything regarding the JTF2, you will always lose the battle as they get first priority with everything.
My friend OJT'ed with B flight in 427 for a few months summer. Some of the things he's ALLOWED to tell me is fucking sweet, but there's still a shit ton of stuff he can't talk about. Pretty cool things happen in JTF2
Old 10-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #44
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I actually work in CBF Trenton with 437 Sqd. I was told by my coworkers, when the Airbus was flying in and out of Afghanistan, it was very apparent who the JTF2 guys were, as their appearance was out of the norm compared to the rest of the CF.

CFB Trenton is going through a major revamp. Old hangers are being torn down, and new ones are being built. On top of that, there is more than just JTF2 stationed in Trenton. As Belka has mentioned, CFB Trenton is the main transport hub, CC-130H/J, CC-117, and CC-150 operate out of Trenton. Also the Challenger fleet belongs to 8 Wing despite being located in Ottawa.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #45

Their appearance is out of the norm because they don't shave and get all the gucci gear