REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Buying out of Province Car From an Official Dealership

My friend is buying a certified used Lexus IS F from a Lexus Dealership (not private sale) in MB or ON and get it shipped to BC.

Just wondering if anyone have experience with out of province purchase and bring it back here in Vancouver

How would the tax work? as each province has different tax %

I also heard my friend will need to get it inspected and certified before ICBC can insure it? Correct?

Any other information my friend needs to know?

Advertisement
Old 10-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
This topic just came up recently, search for it and don't do it... cars turn to shit in even a couple years back east... shipping isn't worth it... buy an IS-F from the USA for cheaper.

You need a provincial inspection when you bring it here... fwiw, nowadays after all of ICBC's crackdowns on shops approving rebuilds, that costs between $300-400 to get. You have to pay PST (7%) here to ICBC when you register it on top of what you were charged in the other province. Plus shipping costs. I don't really think he's going to be able to save a dime... much better to go to Oregon or something like that (anywhere with no state tax).

*edit: also there's a sticky at the top of this page with many pages of info!
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 3,956 Times in 1,205 Posts
Sorry but 68style's information is not actually accurate regarding taxes. If you are buying a car from a province that has HST, ie Ontario, you will be forced to pay that province's HST rate, and then 12% PST when you register the car in BC. However, you can reclaim this HST back when you register it in BC and the government WILL send you a cheque - we use to sell vehicle to Alberta all the time and this is the process they had to go through. If you buy a car from a province that does NOT have HST, you will pay 5% GST and when you register the car, you'll pay the remaining 7%. Either way, you will pay 12% total when the dust settles, which is exactly the same as buying it in Canada.

If you buy one out of the US, be aware that you will often have to pay the state's tax, which is not easily recoverable, and then you'll still pay 12% tax to get the car registered, as well as 6.1% import duty on an IS-F.

I disagree that you should pass on an IS-F from another province, it's not a Corolla that's doing winter beater duty, it may very well be somebody's 2nd or 3rd car, or simply nearly new. There's lots of judgment to be made and right now prices are quite strong in the US, so you can probably do just as well with less hassle by making a good deal on a Canadian car.

Mark
Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
I guess mine wasn't worded very well, but I wanted to say that no matter what you end up paying 12%/no way out of paying 12% in total. I bought stuff from out of province before.

There's a whole bunch of 2012 IS-F even from Lexus dealers with under 10,000miles going for $53k in the USA... so you'd be looking at around $65,000 plus or minus a bit imported (including taxes and duty/exchange rate).

Cheapest one I see in Canada is $60k for a 2012 in Ontario with 8,000kms on it... so that's $69-70,000 after shipping and taxes... I think the USA is still cheaper depending what people can negotiate off the ask and if you have plans for going down there/ways of borrowing money, etc...
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
This topic just came up recently, search for it and don't do it... cars turn to shit in even a couple years back east... shipping isn't worth it... buy an IS-F from the USA for cheaper.

You need a provincial inspection when you bring it here... fwiw, nowadays after all of ICBC's crackdowns on shops approving rebuilds, that costs between $300-400 to get. You have to pay PST (7%) here to ICBC when you register it on top of what you were charged in the other province. Plus shipping costs. I don't really think he's going to be able to save a dime... much better to go to Oregon or something like that (anywhere with no state tax).

*edit: also there's a sticky at the top of this page with many pages of info!
Well first of all, its a from a Lexus Dealership so its Certified Used, undergo their inspection etc... second, 2011 model with under 25K KM still under warranty, so I doubt that was a winter beater car.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I guess mine wasn't worded very well, but I wanted to say that no matter what you end up paying 12%/no way out of paying 12% in total. I bought stuff from out of province before.

There's a whole bunch of 2012 IS-F even from Lexus dealers with under 10,000miles going for $53k in the USA... so you'd be looking at around $65,000 plus or minus a bit imported (including taxes and duty/exchange rate).

Cheapest one I see in Canada is $60k for a 2012 in Ontario with 8,000kms on it... so that's $69-70,000 after shipping and taxes... I think the USA is still cheaper.
He is not trying to take advantage of Tax or what so ever, he just can't fine a good one in BC, so he has to resort to out of province

I will let him know about buying at the States

Old 10-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-VTEC View Post
Well first of all, its a from a Lexus Dealership so its Certified Used, undergo their inspection etc... second, 2011 model with under 25K KM still under warranty, so I doubt that was a winter beater car.
yeah I don't think Lexus would certify a car that is all rusty
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
looks like they do make sure that there's no rust

"Enjoy the Privileges of Ownership
Your Certified Pre-Owned Lexus comes with all of the privileges that new buyers enjoy — from the highest levels of courtesy and respect at every interaction to our owner-exclusive Rewards & Partnerships.

Plus, it is backed by Powertrain Warranty coverage for 2 years/40,000km (whichever comes first) from your purchase date and 24-hour Roadside Assistance for 2-years. We also offer extended ECP coverage plans designed just for Certified Pre-Owned Lexus vehicles. See your Lexus Dealership for details.

131 Points of Satisfaction
For a pre-owned Lexus automobile to be considered for the "Lexus Certified Pre-Owned" designation, Lexus technicians inspect no less than 131 items to ensure that everything looks, feels and performs as originally intended.

Everything from the mechanical systems to the spare tire undergoes rigorous scrutiny. The smallest imperfection, right down to a squeak, is enough to send the vehicle back to the service department.

That's how we assure absolute quality and help provide you with absolute confidence in your Pre-Owned Lexus."

Pre-Owned | Automobiles | Lexus

http://s3.amazonaws.com/lexus.site.t...10092013025126
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,331 Times in 5,645 Posts
my Boss was looking for a 2014 F150 in the Eco boost, he shopped around any saw one that caught his eye in Edmonton

he contacted the dealership there and told them he would be trading in his 2007 King ranch f150 towards this 14' Limited, the dealership wanted the trade in bad enough to cover all costs of getting the truck to Vancouver and then driving his trade in back

pretty unique circumstances but he ended up savings a decent chunk and got good value for his trade in
Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I'm not 100% sure but I think even for used cars or importing from the USA, if it costs more than $55K you will get dinged with the luxury tax.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote