REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #26
straight from the fields of squamton

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Hmm, I should look at the Journey then. I've kind of written them off as not enough ground clearance... I'll have to see about that.
if you want something reliable that won't leave you stranded I wouldn't consider a chrysler product....

you know that though don't you.
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #27
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Are these items necessary if you're going on FSRs? They seem more suited to deeper trips into the woods. I usually carry water, food, and a first aid kit when going on longer trips already so that's not much different, but tool-wise I do not have any of the items that you described.
necessary?

probably not, one of those better to have and not need than need and not have moments.

if you're strictly sticking to just the FSR with no side trails then yah, you probably wont need any recovery equipment. i would at the bare minimum get a recovery strap and shackles, they dont cost too much and can be useful in other ways.

if you plan on travelling solo i do recommend them. its just my advice, you dont have to take it but its all peace of mind at the end of the day.

sometimes the best camp sites are just a little ways off the FSR, you cant camp on the actual FSR itself so this usually becomes the situation. if you DO get stuck with no way of getting yourself out you'll be in a world of shit, thats for sure (i speak from experience).
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #28
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
no excuses for getting stuck if you had this:

1998 LAND ROVER DEFENDER 90 WOLF LHD

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #29
Witness protection

... or maybe OJ Simpson's getaway car

1993 White Ford Bronco Custom 4WD - $13,980 - For Sale, Finance Lease or Buy SUV's Vancouver, BC - Bluestarmotors.com

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 10-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Good choice on passing on the AWD sedans and such. As someone else pointed out where you are going the standard cars that people around the GVRD use to get around during winter to go skiing and not get stuck will simply get you killed up north.

The deer and wildlife population is staggering, when I worked north of Williams Lake I would be driving 1 hour to and from work and we had 3 trucks hit deers in about 3 months.

I hit a deer at about 120 in a relatively new Diesel F350 and the truck was totaled. were talking about a $60000 that was below 10K km being wrecked from a deer collision. In any smaller car on that road in those conditions with what happened I could have very well died. The size and height of the car prevented any injury to me, I literally got out of the truck and left it for the tow truck and hitched a ride to work.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

mazda cx-5

good on gas and I think best looking SUV on the market.
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #32
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

What meme405 said. I don't like pick ups but I definitely recommend one for safety if you are up there working. I always ran into wildlife on the highway/roads when I was there for business. Also agree with the suggestion for leasing, I don't know about Burns Lake but in Prince George they salt like crazy + the additional engine stress from starting/operating in -25C/-38C weather.

As for gas there's a first nations gas station near the hospital so make some friends and get hooked up with status discount.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
PG... what a shithole
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #34
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #35
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
If I were you I would buy this: toyota 4runner 2000 limited

Fuck buying something new(ish) and pissing away a down payment. Use your down payment and buy this. It fits almost all of your requirements except gas mileage. Not shitty but not economical.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #36
Survivor MOD

set of hakkas and thule xb16's and she'll go balls deep in snow
Old 10-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #37
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Ended up with a 2010 Forester XT, picked it up for a steal. $19k for a 2010 with only 40k on the clock!

Now I'm trying to decide between Hakka R2 or Xi3.
Posted via RS Mobile
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #38
Witness protection

Quote:
Ended up with a 2010 Forester XT, picked it up for a steal. $19k for a 2010 with only 40k on the clock!

Now I'm trying to decide between Hakka R2 or Xi3.
Posted via RS Mobile
nice... only problem i can see is the fuel economy and mandatory need for premium fuel. will that be okay out there in the middle of nowhere?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
nice... only problem i can see is the fuel economy and mandatory need for premium fuel. will that be okay out there in the middle of nowhere?
Decided to go for the Hakka R2. Costco doesn't stock the steelies, and ordering from them will take 2 weeks which I don't have so I went to Kal Tire, where I get 10% discount as a London Drugs employee - use the discount while I still have it, lol. And T4RAWR, going to find me some chains and recovery straps to put in the trunk. Any good places to find them?

I think the premium fuel required/fuel economy should be fine... The fuel economy will be better since there is no city driving to speak of. I'm so close to work that I might just bike to work instead (yes in the snow, thinking of Nokian snow tires for my bicycle). I'm thinking of doing a Cobb Stage 1 but that might not be the smartest idea lol.

And there's a decent amount of big-name gas stations out where I am (Esso, Chevron, etc.) that I don't see an issue finding premium.

On my last run to Point Roberts today in the GTI I noticed some misfires when WOT. My brother will just have to deal with it.
fml
Old 10-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
Survivor MOD

you can pick up recovery straps and shackles at princess auto.

rule of thumb that i was taught was to pick up a strap rated for 3 times the weight of your vehicle. this is to account for the "snap/snatch" factor, basically the slack tightening on a hard pull.

i picked up my thule xb16 chains online. ordered through amazon.com and then shipped to point roberts. it was the cheapest option i could find. you could probably order the shackles and straps online off amazon too.

if you dont have a rear tow point you can get a two inch hitch receiver with shackle.

check your owners manual on the type of chains you can run. because its a cuv you might need cable or low clearance chains for the vehicle.

also a snow shovel and a small emergency kit probably wouldnt be a bad idea either.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #41
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts

Or a come-along.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #42
Survivor MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbar View Post

Or a come-along.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #43

That Forester looks pretty awesome, actually...
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #44
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

3rd gen 4runner! Undercoat the rear bumper to prevent the inevitable winter toyota rust i have seen on every 4runner up here.. I'm from Smithers and the 4runner beasts up the ski hill/logging roads and is not terrible on gas
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote