REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
Honda V6 Auto Tranny

wanted to post in tech forum but more traffic here

been looking at used 1st gen honda pilot recently to haul things around.
been digging up more and more horror stories of Honda V6 transmission failure...and this ranges from Oddysey,Ridgeline, Accord to even the TL and RL.
what do these owners/honda mechanics think of this problem, is it pretty widespread or just overblown on the internet? I know some have been recalled before for it. My understanding is the 03-04 pilot are more prone to tranny failure.

any tips on how to look out for these when shopping for a used honda v6 vehicle with an auto tranny? (aside from transmission fluid colour and smooth shifting). When you bring in for a inspection before the transaction can mechanics inspect it properly?

Sincerely,

the guy with limited tranny knowledge (unlike asian_XL)
Advertisement

Last edited by twitchyzero; 10-13-2013 at 08:36 PM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
my parents had a 03 since new and have no problems with it

maybe look for key things like tow hitch, the tow kit from Honda comes with a honda tranny cooler, with aftermarket chances is they wont.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
I had an 2000 Accord V6 (probably one of the most notorious ones) with an auto that was a soldier until I got rid of it at 260,xxx km. Original tranny.

I've read the horror stories, did a fluid change every year, and it was strong for the 5 years that I had it. So essentially it all comes down to luck...

If you can test drive it before, you can usually tell if it shifts smoothly; if you hear clunks, especially between second and third, I'd be a bit wary.

It's hard for mechanics to diagnose it properly I think. I took the car before I bought it to a transmission shop (high acclaimed in the lower mainland), and the guy said it's on its last leg, and that I should just replace it as soon as I can.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
How I Mod your mother

I had a 6th gen before ('98 accord V6)

Transmission did not shift smooth at all. Alot of times it would drop really hard into 2nd gear especially if I put my foot down a little bit from a dead stop.
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Parents have a '99 Odyssey, bought used with 130k ish in 08?, transmission failed at just over 150k in 2012. Got it rebuilt for something crazy like 3500 and its beginning to act up again now. Just threw a CEL for torque converter.

Even my TL doesn't have a very good transmission. There is some gear engagement lag where after i shift from P to D you have to wait 2-3 seconds before it finally catches up. Doesnt shift the smoothest when cold. Going to do a fluid flush and pressure switches soon, hopefully that helps.

Moral of the story is buy one if you know its been properly maintained, i heard these transmissions are even sensitive to the brand of fluid you put in. Will be a big headache if anything goes wrong and pricey to fix.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Parents have a '99 Odyssey, bought used with 130k ish in 08?, transmission failed at just over 150k in 2012. Got it rebuilt for something crazy like 3500 and its beginning to act up again now. Just threw a CEL for torque converter.
gosh that's terrible
so much for Honda bullet proof reliability...even if you have a strong motor it's gonna be a moot point with the tranny being the weakest link

sounds like a lot of luck involved so you pretty much have to be meticulous with the maintence to reduce the chances of losing your transmission.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
^That's essentially it.

Honda manual gearboxes ARE bulletproof. I don't know why they had so much trouble in the last decade.

That being said, it's not EVERY tranny. And as someone said, only use honda ATF. and Never EVER flush it. Only drain-refill.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
its a lack of lubrication that causes failure of the second gear clutch packs. i believe on certain models all they ended up doing was adding in an oil jet to help the lack of lubrication in the area. i previously owned an 03 tl and the trans on it had to be replaced because of a very noticeable hard up shift from 1st to 2nd gear. your best bet would be to just find one with a repair history that shows the transmission has been replaced.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Honda ATF didn't help my tranny.

Luck of the draw if yours will last or not. Like others said if it takes long to get into engage drive, probably torque converter issue, and if it seems to slip between 2 and 3, stay away. I bought my car with a light flare/slip thinking it would last a while and 3 months later $3k tranny rebuild. So far no problems, bought it with a two year warranty incase.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by smoothie.; 10-14-2013 at 01:12 PM.
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^which year?
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
03 accord v6 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote