REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Nurburgring time 7:37.47 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689242-2014-chevrolet-camaro-z28-nurburgring-time-7-37-47-a.html)

lowside67 10-16-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8340057)

From Pirelli's website:

P Zero™ Trofeo R - The track is your road.
An innovative ultra-low profile tyre, with asymmetric tread pattern.

Designed for racetrack driving on dry asphalt.

Specific for racetrack driving, it is approved for road use, enabling travel to the track. In the event of very wet asphalt, with the risk of aquaplaning, prudent driving at reduced speed is recommended.

Timpo 10-16-2013 08:41 AM

Compare to ZL1, the Z28 is 300 lbs lighter.

Apparently Z28 pulls 1.05G at corner too.

Timpo 10-16-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8340069)
From Pirelli's website:

P Zero™ Trofeo R - The track is your road.
An innovative ultra-low profile tyre, with asymmetric tread pattern.

Designed for racetrack driving on dry asphalt.

Specific for racetrack driving, it is approved for road use, enabling travel to the track. In the event of very wet asphalt, with the risk of aquaplaning, prudent driving at reduced speed is recommended.

yeah that's what I said, you can use it on the street :suspicious:

lowside67 10-16-2013 09:10 AM

No... you said it was a street tire. It is a DOT approved (and therefore street legal) RACE TIRE DESIGNED FOR THE RACE TRACK. Technically it is an "R-compound" (you probably dont know that term, it doesnt apply to hardparking or GTR wanking, but if you did any actual racing you'd know what it meant).

Timpo 10-16-2013 10:28 AM

ok so how can that tire be approved for road use?

Timpo 10-16-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8340082)
No... you said it was a street tire. It is a DOT approved (and therefore street legal) RACE TIRE DESIGNED FOR THE RACE TRACK. Technically it is an "R-compound" (you probably dont know that term, it doesnt apply to hardparking or GTR wanking, but if you did any actual racing you'd know what it meant).

ok I found this link.

"Pirelli’s D.O.T. Approved State-of-the-Art Track Tire for Serious Driving Enthusiasts"

P Zero? Trofeo ? Pirelli?s D.O.T. Approved State-of-the-Art Track Tire for Serious Driving Enthusiasts

mpr 10-16-2013 10:46 AM

and now we're back from our commercial break with our sponsor Pirelli Trofeo R.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8339580)
Even started raining on the one part of the track and it got a little wild for the driver. Wonder what tires were on it, pulling over a G in the corners, definitely not a street tire.

Al Oppenheiser stated:
“One of the challenges of testing at the ‘Ring is that the track is so long that conditions can change radically in a single lap,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer, in a release. “Adam Dean, the development driver for Z/28, did a heroic job driving in deteriorating conditions. Based on telemetry data from our test sessions, we know the Z/28 can be as much as six seconds faster on a dry track.”

Does this mean the Z/28 could potentially run 7:31.xx ?

Timpo 10-16-2013 11:06 AM

even at 7:31, the GT-R will still be faster

Timpo 10-16-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8339580)
Even started raining on the one part of the track and it got a little wild for the driver. Wonder what tires were on it, pulling over a G in the corners, definitely not a street tire.

oh fuck that shit

The Camaero Z28 is only pulling 1.05G.
Viper ACR was pulling 1.5G because the rear wing created enough downforce to do so.
Porsche 962 Dauer and Caparo T1 could both pull 3.0G or so and they're both street legal.

falcon 10-16-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8339719)
oh but compare to the GT-R it's not that fast so meh,

7:18.6 Nissan GT-R

Yup, so much slower. 19 seconds over a period of 7 and a half minutes. I'd like to see you notice the difference.

Iceman-19 10-16-2013 12:21 PM

And like I said, NOT ON A STREET TIRE.

falcon 10-16-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8340126)
ok so how can that tire be approved for road use?

I don't know, tell me... why is this legal?

http://content.mamotorworks.com/img300/fr9499.jpg

You seem to always talk so much shit like you know everything, when infact you know very little. It gets annoying after a while.

Timpo 10-16-2013 12:31 PM

^ how is that tire relevant to the one on Camaro?

So what you're saying is that GM is selling a Camaro with non road legal tires.

The question is, will you get pulled over if you had that P Zero on Camaro. Is it illegal to drive it on the street?

Iceman-19 10-16-2013 12:41 PM

GM won't sell the Camaro z/28 with those tires.

falcon 10-16-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8340198)
^ how is that tire relevant to the one on Camaro?

So what you're saying is that GM is selling a Camaro with non road legal tires.

The question is, will you get pulled over if you had that P Zero on Camaro. Is it illegal to drive it on the street?

How is it comparable? Well you're comparing the GTR to the Camaro. The GTR time was not done on DOT tires. The Camaro was. You ask "how can a tire like that be road legal" well it is. Maybe not the best tire for the road but it is infact road legal.

The "question is".. yes it is ROAD LEGAL. That's what DOT approved means. So no, it's not illegal. But like Iceman said, they won't sell it with those. They just did it on the ring with these tires to say it was done on a "DOT" tire. If they had done it on a full slick that time would be 20-30 seconds, maybe even more, lower.

123654123 10-16-2013 03:58 PM

^ i sense that your jimmies have been rustled

Timpo 10-16-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 8340327)
How is it comparable? Well you're comparing the GTR to the Camaro. The GTR time was not done on DOT tires. The Camaro was. You ask "how can a tire like that be road legal" well it is. Maybe not the best tire for the road but it is infact road legal.

The "question is".. yes it is ROAD LEGAL. That's what DOT approved means. So no, it's not illegal. But like Iceman said, they won't sell it with those. They just did it on the ring with these tires to say it was done on a "DOT" tire. If they had done it on a full slick that time would be 20-30 seconds, maybe even more, lower.

as far as i know, GT-R was never tested on R compound and Nissan's official times have always been stock GT-R.

ok so those tires not DOT approved? P Zero? Trofeo ? Pirelli?s D.O.T. Approved State-of-the-Art Track Tire for Serious Driving Enthusiasts

what's the difference then?

How do you know GM won't sell with those tires?

Iceman-19 10-16-2013 04:22 PM

Jesus fuck timpo. They are DOT approved, but they are a specialty mainly race tire. They even STATE this. Yes, DOT and road legal, but built for RACING. They wouldn't sell them on a mass production cars simply because of liability reasons, let alone GM bean counters.

JoshuaWong 10-16-2013 04:33 PM

^ I don't see why they wouldn't sell this with the car. They are DOT legal track tires much like the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup +/ZP/N Spec. It wears like eraser, it doesn't work in the rain or cold but they come standard on the GT2, GT2RS, GT3, GT3RS, Corvette ZR-1 (2012), Corvette Z06 (2013)....

Those are mass production cars as well. The Z/28 is a track focused edition so I don't see why not. People should be well aware what they are getting into when they buy these kind of performance cars.

I think they should and most likely will sell with these tires...

Timpo 10-16-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8340364)
Jesus fuck timpo. They are DOT approved, but they are a specialty mainly race tire. They even STATE this. Yes, DOT and road legal, but built for RACING. They wouldn't sell them on a mass production cars simply because of liability reasons, let alone GM bean counters.

How would that be a libility issue if it's approved by DOT?

Timpo 10-16-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaWong (Post 8340373)
^ I don't see why they wouldn't sell this with the car. They are DOT legal track tires much like the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup +/ZP/N Spec. It wears like eraser, it doesn't work in the rain or cold but they come standard on the GT2, GT2RS, GT3, GT3RS, Corvette ZR-1 (2012), Corvette Z06 (2013)....

Those are mass production cars as well. The Z/28 is a track focused edition so I don't see why not. People should be well aware what they are getting into when they buy these kind of performance cars.

yeah I know

Lotus Exige S comes with Yokohama Advan A048.

Which is considered as DOT Approved Race Tire.
Advan A048 Performance Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.
http://www.plminishop.com/product_up...original_2.jpg
http://news-images.caradisiac.com/IM..._Exige_S_2.jpg

Iceman-19 10-16-2013 09:23 PM

Because its a fucking LOTUS TIMPO. The Ford GT500 has 640hp and can go 200mph with a factory warrenty. It rocks widely regarded as "lousy" Goodyears. The MAJOR car markers have deals with different tire brands. They look at the bottom line. Lotus is small, super small compared to GM. You don't get it, and never will.

Iceman-19 10-16-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaWong (Post 8340373)

There is nothing MASS production about any of the cars you listed. The Z06 probably sells more then all combined, so its the exception.

ProBoostin 10-16-2013 09:42 PM

GM would probably sell you those tires on the Z28 as a special order from the factory.

The mass part has nothing to do with mass-production of vehicles. A production vehicle is short for mass-production vehicle. Any car made on a production line that isn't a prototype or concept is considered a production car. There is no minimum/maximum on the amount of cars produced that classifieds it as a production car. Took google 0.18 seconds to figure that one out.

JoshuaWong 10-16-2013 09:49 PM

^all of those gets built along side the lower tamer counterparts on the same assembly line, whats not mass production about that? A Zonda on the other hand is not mass production. But yeah, in that case I think they will at least have it as a performance option as they did on the Z06/ZR1.