REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Nurburgring time 7:37.47 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689242-2014-chevrolet-camaro-z28-nurburgring-time-7-37-47-a.html)

Timpo 10-16-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8340593)
There is nothing MASS production about any of the cars you listed. The Z06 probably sells more then all combined, so its the exception.

I doubt that Z28 Camaro is going to be MASS produced

Iceman-19 10-16-2013 09:52 PM

Thats all fine and dandy. The Z/28 will still not come with those tires from the factory.

thumper 10-17-2013 07:17 AM

damn...

Quote:

General Motors engineers worked to take weight out of the Camaro Z/28. Chevy says the Z/28 weighs 100 pounds less than the Camaro SS and 300 pounds less than the supercharged Camaro ZL1. That implies a curb weight of around 3,800 pounds (Chevrolet lists the curb weight of the 2013 Camaro SS with a manual transmission at 3,860 pounds and the 2013 Camaro ZL1 at 4,120 pounds.)

In keeping with the less-weight mantra there is no carpet in the trunk and no interior sound deadening material, a one-speaker sound system and thinner rear glass on the Z/28. The front seats use manual adjusters. The pass through was eliminated from the rear seat back and foam replaces some rigid structure in the rear seats. Fog lights and HID headlights are not available and the needed wiring was taken out of the harness. Air conditioning is optional.

Read more: 2014 Chevy Camaro Z/28 rolls out at New York auto show - Autoweek
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook
even after throwing out everything and the kitchen sink it still weighs 3800lbs? where does all that weight come from?

thumper 10-17-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8340625)
Thats all fine and dandy. The Z/28 will still not come with those tires from the factory.

googled around and they all say the trofeo-r is the only tire option for the z/28. that's insane. there are going to be a lot of z/28's wrapped around telephone poles on rainy days.

Iceman-19 10-17-2013 07:44 AM

Well after reading that, they built it like the Boss 302, so yes I can see that being sold with an aggressive tire.

ilvtofu 10-17-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpr (Post 8340131)

Al Oppenheiser stated:
“One of the challenges of testing at the ‘Ring is that the track is so long that conditions can change radically in a single lap,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer, in a release. “Adam Dean, the development driver for Z/28, did a heroic job driving in deteriorating conditions. Based on telemetry data from our test sessions, we know the Z/28 can be as much as six seconds faster on a dry track.”

Does this mean the Z/28 could potentially run 7:31.xx ?

I think they basically added up the best section times and found that result. It always bothers me why they use nurburgring lap times as a benchmark. I understand the track as a testing grounds since it's got a wide variety of speed and turns, but the actual number can be hugely affected by the slightest driver error, not just by the car's tuning/ease to drive.

Also, The car's interior looks really dated for a 3-4 year old car. Although if GM keeps up what they're doing with the C7 and new cadillacs, the next gen Camaro is definitely worth waiting for. The Z28 is a great performance step in the right direction and they've completely evolved what we perceive a factory engineered camaro to be like on the track, now we just need to see the overall car improve.
http://topautomag.com/wp-content/upl...8-Interior.jpg

Better visibility, interior design, rear seat, and the same advanced manufacturing/engineering techniques we see on the C7 and you'll have a best seller by 2017. It's an exciting time we're living in though, just 2 years ago the boss mustang blew us away and really gained a lot of respect for the car. I love this spirit of competition leading to better new cars all around.