REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 2,116 Times in 382 Posts
Free MIT courses online

A friend of mine showed me this the other day. MIT is offering online material at no cost through their MIT open course ware.

I thought it was kind of cool that MIT made the shift to share their material. I can begin to see that with the power of the internet the education paradigm is beginning to change.

If you're interested check it out: About OCW | MIT OpenCourseWare | Free Online Course Materials

They have loads of material. Engineering, Bio, Chem, Physics, etc.

Or google: mit opencourseware
Advertisement
StaxBundlez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
What this proves is how people go to school for just the piece of paper not the knowledge, otherwise MIT would not be able to do this without completely running their business into the ground...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

It's a good refresher, or a quick intro, if you've got skills elsewhere.
twstd_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #4

mit seems to just give the material.
https://www.edx.org/course-list/alls...cts/allcourses
according to my friend although edx has less classes "you have online classes, exams and shit, you also get a certificate if you pass"
Old 10-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
What this proves is how people go to school for just the piece of paper not the knowledge, otherwise MIT would not be able to do this without completely running their business into the ground...
i see what youre getting at what you think in terms of liberal arts etc, stuff that has a tough time finding real applications in the real world. but i disagree with the notion that all schools are geared for is getting you a recognizable name on your degree, especially MIT

for such a technologically inclined school like MIT, it is the ecosystem that they provide in addition. much more than just going to class and what not, but you really get to embrace the culture. you get a collection of great minds together and get to really push eachother in that area of study. you get laboratories to actually complete your projects (electronics, robotics, networking hardware). You have experienced profs and others working in the field to guide you and push you along the right trajectory. humans are sponges, and you will soak up your environment. This is the basis of learning

Sure, you could pick up a few things here and there at home with some videos online. But that only goes so far. Humans are very much social creatures. You would not know how to speak your current language if it were not for your constant surroundment with other humans

with initiatives like coursera.org and such, it does not hurt for MIT to post some videos online. it definitely enhances their brand as well

despite all the new free content online, MIT (amongst other well known schools in the US) are still popular destinations post secondary school. They are finding ways to move along with the trend in online learning. Even UBC is offering some courses for free on coursera.org

Education is getting a lot of flak recently due to in part students not choosing a field that has applications that can readily use the skills and knowledge they picked up in the classroom. Yes, many are going down the wrong path taking very theoritical or abstract majors of study. Yes it does help them shape their minds and guide them maybe towards a brighter destination. But it does not provide the shovels and hardhats that will actually earn you the income to be able to live life.

I recall my grade 12 math teacher told us of how some of his past successful pupils were UBC graduates who ended up at BCIT afterwards taking a technical diploma. Not a bad idea if you didnt study a really technical subject at UBC

One of the things I appreciate about growing up in Canada is the fact that they pushed critical thinking in school. One should use this asset they gave us and really assess the education system and to be able to use it to our needs.

Post secondary is a business like any other. They are there to make money.
So lets use this product/service to the best of our abilities instead of just blindly enrolling students into it hoping for the best

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #6

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Udacity has been doing this for awhile now, iirc the courses were being taught by former heads of industry (though techs)
Old 10-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #7
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I believe wharton has their 1st year MBA online for free too. =)
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 2,116 Times in 382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
i see what youre getting at what you think in terms of liberal arts etc, stuff that has a tough time finding real applications in the real world. but i disagree with the notion that all schools are geared for is getting you a recognizable name on your degree, especially MIT

for such a technologically inclined school like MIT, it is the ecosystem that they provide in addition. much more than just going to class and what not, but you really get to embrace the culture. you get a collection of great minds together and get to really push eachother in that area of study. you get laboratories to actually complete your projects (electronics, robotics, networking hardware). You have experienced profs and others working in the field to guide you and push you along the right trajectory. humans are sponges, and you will soak up your environment. This is the basis of learning

Sure, you could pick up a few things here and there at home with some videos online. But that only goes so far. Humans are very much social creatures. You would not know how to speak your current language if it were not for your constant surroundment with other humans

with initiatives like coursera.org and such, it does not hurt for MIT to post some videos online. it definitely enhances their brand as well

despite all the new free content online, MIT (amongst other well known schools in the US) are still popular destinations post secondary school. They are finding ways to move along with the trend in online learning. Even UBC is offering some courses for free on coursera.org

Education is getting a lot of flak recently due to in part students not choosing a field that has applications that can readily use the skills and knowledge they picked up in the classroom. Yes, many are going down the wrong path taking very theoritical or abstract majors of study. Yes it does help them shape their minds and guide them maybe towards a brighter destination. But it does not provide the shovels and hardhats that will actually earn you the income to be able to live life.

I recall my grade 12 math teacher told us of how some of his past successful pupils were UBC graduates who ended up at BCIT afterwards taking a technical diploma. Not a bad idea if you didnt study a really technical subject at UBC

One of the things I appreciate about growing up in Canada is the fact that they pushed critical thinking in school. One should use this asset they gave us and really assess the education system and to be able to use it to our needs.

So lets use this product/service to the best of our abilities instead of just blindly enrolling students into it hoping for the best
Well stated.
I completely agree with you.

A lot of institutions are beginning to pick up on this trend.
Online learning (especially free) is becoming very popular. Khan Academy is a great example.
And the fact that you can get credit for the free material is providing even more incentive. I like the fact that if you already have a background in something, most of this stuff is a great refresher.

But I do believe in having that classroom environment. It's also another great way to learn and develop.
StaxBundlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #9

+1 for Khan Academy, some really interesting stuff on their youtube channel.

feedback
iPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
This title intentionally left blank MOD

http://www.revscene.net/forums/66044...ation-all.html

Read about this back in 2011. Seen it mentioned once a year at least, since. Apparently, they're not the only ones who offer their course material online, either.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
i dunno, MIT revolves around mostly building + designing stuff so i can see how they can afford to give course material for free

stanford also offers free courses
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

It's not just MIT, a lot of schools go have their lectures and old exams posted online. If you would search deep enough, any self respecting University in the past 10 years posted their courses online. Some are public, a lot were private since the intended audience was the students taking the courses.

In the recent years, showing this much details of your courses has become more formal to be distributed to the public (ie Open Courseware)

I remember when I started Uni in 2000, I was practicing on old Harvard Calc 1 exams. Back then, their Open Courseware that they advertised was limited to literally a dozen courses only.

Check out Open Yale, I think they have most of their Undergrad stuff online now. I use it for a refresher at work - much easier to transfer academic knowledge to practical day-to-day tasks at work.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
There's also edX and Coursera that offer a variety of online courses from major universities.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #14

it's been ongoing for a while now, ubc has it as well.

this is the Harvard one

Harvard Open Courses for Free | Open Learning Initiative

Stanford

Stanford Online
Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:

Well said. I was half serious, half just pointing it out for laughs.

I agree though, in my time at BCIT the time spent with other developing and interacting was absolutely imperative for my learning, which is why now that I have online classes in my last year I absolutely despise them. I don't believe I am learning nearly as much from my online classes and I put in far more effort.

And as an unrelated note (and off topic), in my 120 student diploma program at BCIT, we had atleast 4 graduates from other universities; one from UVIC eng, one from UBC arts, one from mcgill arts, and one from SFU (don't know what he did). Among those graduates there were plenty of people who switched after 1 or 2 years and came to BCIT. I believe that is a testament to the quality and applicability of what BCIT teaches.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

my friend goes to ubc and he said they offer this as well
anabolichalo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

the storm of Vancouver Realtors Facebook update - Educated at MIT School of Sauder (derp)

7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #18
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
all schools do now
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #19

Quote:

+1 there's a reason why zuckerberg and bill gates dropped out of harvard and why countless ivy league students forged friendships and companies worth billions together. the main point of going to an ivy league school is to meet other smart people, network and start something organically from there

harvard and MIT were offering online courses for cheap for regular people 1-2 years ago, i thought that was pretty cool too
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote