REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
Government mandate to force TV providers to offer pick-and-pay pricing for channels.

-heard this from the Harper government's throne speech today about plans to mandate an unbundling of TV channel packages that companies provide to us.

Pick-and-pay cable pricing could mean end of some channels: industry insiders | News1130/

Industry Minister James Moore says the Harper government’s throne speech today will outline plans to mandate an unbundling of TV offerings.

The Conservatives are expected to instruct Canada’s broadcast regulator to require that cable and satellite TV service providers offer a form of a-la-carte pricing, where consumers can choose to pay for individual channels.

The move will be “evolutionary” for Canada’s broadcast sector, say industry watchers who see pick-and-pay as a necessity with broadcasters trying to compete with increasingly popular online services, including Netflix.

But content producers and independent specialty channel operators are running scared.

“We’re very worried,” says a television executive who did not want to be identified.

-new pricing model for television channels not expected to happen until 2015 or later.

Thank goodness for Netflix.
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
tbh its been a long time coming, I hate buying huge bundles just to watch 1-2 channels...

Discovery and AMC is all I need!

but yes, netflix ftw!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

I don't see how this will have an immediate impact with consumer pricing. The Cable providers will just jack up the prices for the most popular channels, and eliminate the ones that nobody subscribes to, to make up for the shortfall of revenue.

Just like in the wireless telecommunication industry, they've abolished 3 year contracts for 2 year terms then increase monthly plan prices substantially, north of 40% to make up its shortfall.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
I don't see how this will have an immediate impact with consumer pricing. The Cable providers will just jack up the prices for the most popular channels, and eliminate the ones that nobody subscribes to, to make up for the shortfall of revenue.

Just like in the wireless telecommunication industry, they've abolished 3 year contracts for 2 year terms then increase monthly plan prices substantially, north of 40% to make up its shortfall.
Exactly! Want AMC only? Sure pay $5 for that channel only or get it in a bundle for $7. Which one will you pick! Also by the CRTC regulations basic cable needs to include a certain number of local, french, mulit cultural channels, so are they going ot make basic cable a-la-carte as well?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
^ because idiots don't realize the effect it will have nor do they recognize value

HBO for $12 or 5 channels plus HBO for $15

This pricing change is just gonna hurt the consumer but your typical simpleton who is too afraid to call into their provider and complain about service will think they struck a victory saving that $3 a month
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Also some of the less popular channels will be gone. I mean when channels are package some less popular are packaged into popular ones, hoping people will watch it (lets' face it who watch encore ave or movie time......). The channel that simply isn't making money will jsut disappear thus less choice for cosumers.

Rmember what happen when the gov step in the regulate the cell phone industires to get rib off 3 year contract? The big 3 simply raise the price of the 2year plan (with shiiter package and data limit), and increase the up front cost to sign a phone on contract. Not only now people have to pay more to get cell phones, but also for us who have a decent plan now it will be even hard to call retentions and get a deal becasue our existing plan is good compare to the new plans.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,818 Times in 3,901 Posts
is there currently a sports only bundle on shaw/telus? That's all TV is only good for IMO with the internets these days.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
is there currently a sports only bundle on shaw/telus?
Frist you have a basic cable first, I am sure you cna get sports bundle after that.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,260 Times in 1,966 Posts
I cancelled my TV completely. Biggest source of gouging I've seen (next to cellular service and Impark).
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #10

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
+1 on the Cancelled-TV team. Hulu, Netflix, Local Streaming & OTA all the way.

Although internet is still pricey for what you get when not on a new customer promo
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
i think it's ridiculous that TSN and sportsnet are in 2 different packages so I am all for this. Whats the point in paying 3 extra bux for 5 more channels if you will never watch them. I get 100's of channels from bell but could do with less than 40.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
hulu is available in canada? or is it via a DNS mask?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #13

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
hulu is available in canada? or is it via a DNS mask?
DNS. Tunlr.net
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Fuck you shaw! And the "your days are numbered" horse you bleed us with.

Netflix, hulu and a pretty little computer next to the tv. done.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

I don't even have cable. I just hook up the computer to the TV when I want to stream a Canucks game (NHL Gamecenter) or watch a movie. Other than a PS3 my TV has no use for anything else.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
i just want what was setanta sports for english football (i'm prissy and need my football in HD, so no streaming). everything else is available online.

i can only see the consumer getting screwed on this, somehow - everything seems to screw the consumer, the screw is even harder when the government is involved
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #17
HELP ME PLS!!!

The consumers will be on the losing end of this. Not only your bill will not change (in fact, it may actually increase), you are now getting less channels for the same cost that you were paying before without the garbage content. If I'm paying the same cable bill as before, I will take the garbage channels with me.

For those who don't pay for cable anymore, why do you all still pay the big 3 for internet access? You should go for Teksavvy, or Distributel instead. They use the same infrastructure as the oligopoly and there are unlimited bandwidth packages.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #18

Quote:
The consumers will be on the losing end of this. Not only your bill will not change (in fact, it may actually increase), you are now getting less channels for the same cost that you were paying before without the garbage content. If I'm paying the same cable bill as before, I will take the garbage channels with me.

For those who don't pay for cable anymore, why do you all still pay the big 3 for internet access? You should go for Teksavvy, or Distributel instead. They use the same infrastructure as the oligopoly and there are unlimited bandwidth packages.
Teksavvy is not as fast as my shaw currently....... The big 3 isn't stupid since they provide Internet as well when they see cable service decline and more people are using online steaming they will just increase their Internet package and lower the bandwidth limit......
Old 10-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

Because Teksavvy and the like aren't available in a lot of places that reside outside of the central hubs. My only current choice for internet and tv is Telus satellite. That said, TV is pointless for me. I only watch one show on HGTV (Holmes) and occasionally Highway Thru Hell on Discovery. Apart from that, it's all internet/Netflix streaming.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #20
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
I haven't had cable since i graduated from highschool. All I need is the internet..
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #21
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Teksavvy is not as fast as my shaw currently....... The big 3 isn't stupid since they provide Internet as well when they see cable service decline and more people are using online steaming they will just increase their Internet package and lower the bandwidth limit......
That's why there's Teksavvy..

For around $100/month, you get 50Mbps/2.5Mbps Unlimited bandwidth..

For about $170/month, you get 100Mbps/5mbps Unlimited cap line.

Not sufficient?

I don't see how most people would need more than this. You can download/stream to your heart's content.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,818 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:

pretty sure telus 50/10 internet is $80/mo...bw caps not enforced
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #23
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:

For about $170/month, you get 100Mbps/5mbps Unlimited cap line.

Not sufficient?

I don't see how most people would need more than this. You can download/stream to your heart's content.
That's still expensive, even for dedicated Internet service.

I pay less than $70/month taxes included for HDTV service (TSN, Sportsnet One) and 20 Mbps Internet with a 250 GB cap (which is all I need for Netflix). Novus FTW.

The way I look at it, the telcos are still going to get your money whether your subscribe to cable or not. Everyone needs internet service and if you want to shift everything to internet, you're going to pay for it through increased speeds, or increased bandwidth (because what's the point of buying an HDTV if you're not going to stream HD content?) OTA is great, but it's rather limited in Vancouver unless you have a house and have the ability to invest in proper equipment. And if you're a sports fan, you're basically forced to subscribe to cable unless you want to deal with unreliable streams and pop-up ads.

Last edited by Tapioca; 10-16-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,283 Times in 270 Posts
meh. haven't had cable in years
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
organge7 has spoken, and we have done the opposite. yay!
urrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
tbh its been a long time coming, I hate buying huge bundles just to watch 1-2 channels...

Discovery and AMC is all I need!

but yes, netflix ftw!
I love my nature/science shows. discovery, national geographic, nat geo wild, oasis etc. space, history. the channel that shows the cosmic or universe stuff.
there's just something soothing about hearing an old british guy talk about nature and how scary it is. lol

i find these channels must more interesting and fascinating than E! or those reality TV network shows.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: