REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #26
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
That's still expensive, even for dedicated Internet service.

I pay less than $70/month taxes included for HDTV service (TSN, Sportsnet One) and 20 Mbps Internet with a 250 GB cap (which is all I need for Netflix). Novus FTW.

The way I look at it, the telcos are still going to get your money whether your subscribe to cable or not. Everyone needs internet service and if you want to shift everything to internet, you're going to pay for it through increased speeds, or increased bandwidth (because what's the point of buying an HDTV if you're not going to stream HD content?) OTA is great, but it's rather limited in Vancouver unless you have a house and have the ability to invest in proper equipment. And if you're a sports fan, you're basically forced to subscribe to cable unless you want to deal with unreliable streams and pop-up ads.
My comparison was without a bundled service. Obviously when you bundle your internet service with other services, it will cost less.

A dry Shaw cable with no other services for 50Mbps/2.5Mbps 400GB cap is $80/month

NHL GameCenter cost roughly $20/month. Still cheaper than paying an average of $150/month for bundled services to Shaw or Telus, for most. And Novus is only accessible to a very small population. Shaw and Telus is a major player that reaches way more of the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
pretty sure telus 50/10 internet is $80/mo...bw caps not enforced
It's enforced, to their discretion. You probably haven't downloaded enough.
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #27
I STILL don't get it

Recently made the switch to teksavvy from shaw to stream shows on xbmc. Pretty satisfied with my choice so far and don't see myself going back.
Posted via RS Mobile
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #28
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Keep in mind that just like in the cellular business, companies like Shaw and Bell charge more because they have a much larger infrastructure overhead than smaller companies like Teksavvy, who only service smaller areas.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #29
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Keep in mind that just like in the cellular business, companies like Shaw and Bell charge more because they have a much larger infrastructure overhead than smaller companies like Teksavvy, who only service smaller areas.
They serve the same areas that the incumbents serves, as they are essentially riding on their backbone.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Yay more "freedom" on the old boob tube! Thank you Harper for helping the dwindling middle class on this one. I had been concerned with economic and environmental issues and was starting to want answers, including those pertaining to the conduct of your government, but all is forgiven. While you're at it, please continue to cut funding to the CBC because I'm to busy watching Porter Ridge and Pawn Stars.

*end sarcasm rant*

It can be argued that selflessness is quite a rare thing, especially in politics. On the surface it looks like Harper is looking out for the middle class, giving them more freedom while taking on the big bag media giants. Instead this will just give the cable companies an excuse to gouge consumers for even more money.

The other reason for this political gesture may be to distract voters from real issues Harper is unable/unwilling to address. Or he may be trying to distract from answering questions over the performance and conduct of his party. There are many very important issues facing the middle class and this is the issue he decides to tackle while dodging question period or proroguing parliament yet again? It would seem to me he is just throwing a bone to the voters in the hopes we might not notice.