REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #26
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
16 days smoke-free! & (hopefully) for the rest of my life
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #27
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
my assistant smokes and she stinks whenever she comes back from a break told her about it and now she sprays lots of perfume on when she comes back from a smoke break and omg it smells even worse! its like the cigarette smoke turned her perfume rancid
imagine the worst smelling BO you've ever encountered and imagine adding poop to that odour and it still couldn't compare!
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #28
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
It's crazy how smoking dulls most of your senses. I remember how nasty cig smoke was to me when I quit. Now that I smoke again I can barely notice it. Same with food. Everything is super bland while being a smoker. Once I quit I had super taste buds again. LOL.

<-----looking forward to ridding myself of this nasty habit
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #29
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
I stopped cold for 8 years, then started again.

Stopped for a second time. 10 years so far and still crave it. Do people smoke at RS meets? Second hand smoke don't count, right?

I started smoking at age 10. Nastiest, filthy habit.

I clicked on link....... saw chick and immediatley closed the window.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I stopped cold for 8 years, then started again.

Stopped for a second time. 10 years so far and still crave it. Do people smoke at RS meets? Second hand smoke don't count, right?

I started smoking at age 10. Nastiest, filthy habit.

I clicked on link....... saw chick and immediatley closed the window.
Age 10. Wow.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #31
RS controls my life!

I've been smoke free for the past 4 months now and feel great. For me personally I just felt it was the time to quit. Smoking is just a hassle now in this day and age, gone are the glory days when it was acceptable. Now it is frowned upon and such a task just to go for a smoke like standing away from doors / walking off work property(at my place of employment atleast), smoking outside in the cold/rain etc..

I think you need to be mentally ready to quit in order to succeed. I've tried before 2 times and failed but now I know I'm finally done with this horrible habit and focus on a healthy life style. I don't get any cravings at all even though I see and smell smoke on a daily basis. I am in new phase of my life where I feel that I can't take my health for granted anymore.

Good luck to all thinking about or trying to quit. Keep it up, you are only doing yourself and others around good!
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #32
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

cigarette smokers = walking dead

Sorry first thing I thought when I saw the smoker chick....

Congrats to those who have quit smoking! On a side note if you quit for 12 months you are considered to most life insurance companies as a non-smoker =)

S-exy
U-ber
P-owerful
R-aw
A-nimal
SupraMan604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #33
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraMan604 View Post
Congrats to those who have quit smoking! On a side note if you quit for 12 months you are considered to most life insurance companies as a non-smoker =)
GREAT!

Now, does that mean if one stopped having sex for five years, they're considered a virgin again?

This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #34

No but if you have not owned a home for 5 years your considered a first time home buyer again =)

Also back to the smoker thing it helps if your getting life insurance as it will be at non-smoker rate =)

S-exy
U-ber
P-owerful
R-aw
A-nimal
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #35
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraMan604 View Post
No but if you have not owned a home for 5 years your considered a first time home buyer again =)

Also back to the smoker thing it helps if your getting life insurance as it will be at non-smoker rate =)
No way?! Please provide proof (ideally from CRA).

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #36
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
Age 10. Wow.
ahhh, that first smoke after nap time.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #37
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,179 Times in 229 Posts
Havent had a smoke since Jan 1st. Godamn its hard.
Jegz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
No way?! Please provide proof (ideally from CRA).
Here you go my friend:

HBP Condition - First-time home buyer

You might want to go through the real estate thread here in off topic as 4444 may deter you from buying

S-exy
U-ber
P-owerful
R-aw
A-nimal
Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #39
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Spent the first 16 years of my life in the DTES. Saw things no child should see. Made it out of there relatively unscathed. Learning to smoke was nothing compared to what could have happened in that god forsaken enighbourhood. I also blame my smoking habit on those candy cigarettes they used to sell to kids back then. We all pretended to be cool movie stars and shit.

EDIT: come to think of it, I was probably 11 at the time I started to smoke..... grade six. New kid in my class got me to try smokes. Curse you, John H.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #40

i smoke weed once in a while but i really dont get cigarette smoking at all, it does absolutely nothing
rice cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #41

Im glad I was not around yet when James Dean was lighting it up or I definitely would have been a smoker. All the good looking stars were doing it why not right??? Poster says it all:

Now it does not look glamorous when they paint smokers looking like zombies...

S-exy
U-ber
P-owerful
R-aw
A-nimal
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #42
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
Age 10. Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
My Dad started at 8. Smoking in the fifties and sixties was not similar to smoking today. In airplanes and high school classroom smoking was socially acceptable and allowed. Health warnings? Addiction warnings? I'm doubt they existed. Why not start with so little societal discouragement? What was the legal age to buy smokes even then, MG1?

It's the younger smokers here, who were well aware about the addictive properties and affects on our body when we started, that should be shocking.

As a twenty-five year old, I also loved post-nap smokes.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #43
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I don't know if my mind has been warped by nicotine; but nothing beats whiskey and cigarettes after a stressful day at work.
I'd have these types of music on to calm down too:

I'm glamorizing it way too much, I know. =(
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #44
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
What was the legal age to buy smokes even then, MG1?
My wife, when she wqs in grade school, often went to the corner store to buy cigarettes for her grade 7 teacher. Yup, kids were allowed to buy cigarettes back then for their parents, teachers, pastors, you name it. Was a different world back then.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #45
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
There are so many harmful effects caused by smoking that it’s hard to decide where to start listing them. From health complications after surgery to brain damage, and even inflicting harm on our pets, the list can go on. Smoking is also believed to contribute to skin aging, and now a new study on twins shows that smoking can indeed cause premature wrinkling and other characteristics of accelerated aging.

Researchers scouted for twins at the annual Twin Days Festival, in Twinsburg, Ohio, to find pairs in which one twin smoked and the other didn’t, or both smoked, but with a five-year difference between initiation. They found 79 twins, of whom 57 were women, altogether with an average age of 48 years old. Close-up photos of each participants face were shown to a group of plastic surgeons, who had no knowledge of each participants’ smoking history. They were told to point out “specific components of facial aging” that were related to smoking, and 57 percent of the time, they were able to spot the smoking twin.

Quote:
(Above: The twin on the left is a non-smoker. The twin on the right smoked for 29 years, as seen by aging around the eyes.)
“Smoking makes you look old. That’s all there is to it,” Dr. Elizabeth Tanzi, a dermatologist at the Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery, and who wasn’t involved in the study, told Reuters. Besides lung cancer, heart attacks, and strokes, just one more good reason to stop smoking is that it’s definitely making you look a lot older.”

The various indicators of aging that the surgeons found included: more sagging of the upper eyelids, baggier lower eyelids and bags under the eyes; more facial wrinkles, including lines between the nose and mouth, wrinkling of the upper and lower lips, and sagging chins. Signs of aging were most pronounced on the lower parts of the face, with those whose difference was more than five years showing even more signs, the researchers said.

Quote:
(Above: Both twins smoked, however, the one on the right smoked for 14 years longer, as seen by more facial wrinkles.)
“It is noteworthy that even among sets of twins where both are smokers, a difference in five years or more of smoking duration can cause visibly identifiable changes in facial aging,” they wrote.

The results held true even when environmental factors, such as work stress, alcohol consumption, and sunscreen use were accounted for. They also said that they could not control for the effect of smoking on fat distribution. A U.K. study found that “smokers on average have a lower body mass index than non-smokers.”

Study author Dr. Bahman Guyuron suggested facial creams and plastic surgery for people who have already damaged their skin from smoking, but told Reuters that the goal of the study was to encourage people never to start in the first place. “We are hoping that by again emphasizing the harms that come from smoking, we can dissuade individuals from smoking … knowing how much it may damage their skin,” he said.

Smoking kills more than five million people each year around the world, and is responsible for nearly 87 percent of lung cancer deaths, according to the National Institutes of Health. It also increases the risk for cancer by up to 23 times for men and 13 times for women, according to the U.S. Cenetrs for Disease Control and Prevention, putting them at risk for cancer of the lips, oral cavity, esophagus, and many more.

See How Smoking Prematurely Ages Your Skin | Yahoo Health
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #46
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,747 Times in 699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
I always hated these deceptive anti-smoking advertisements...the photos comparisons are more like comparing a super healthy lifestyle person (e.g. clean diet and regular exercise) vs a drug addict...

I quit smoking 5+ years ago...i am sure my health has gotten better and my lung is cleaner, but my skin and my body didn't look any better after I quit...
And I sure as hell don't think smoking itself will make you look as awful as the website portrays...
The problem with smoking is that the damage is already done after the first year of chain smoking. Yeah, you can quit, but the incidence of disease is still far higher for you compared to the same male in your demographic who has never smoked.

Your skin is likely not to get better, but it won't get worse.

I need to find that study that was presented when I was in first year at UBC, where it showed that people who have been smoking for 20+ years and quit had the same amount of disease and death as those who continued to smoke the rest of their lives. So essentially, once you've been smoking for that long the damage is already done...
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #47
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
The problem with smoking is that the damage is already done after the first year of chain smoking. Yeah, you can quit, but the incidence of disease is still far higher for you compared to the same male in your demographic who has never smoked.

Your skin is likely not to get better, but it won't get worse.

I need to find that study that was presented when I was in first year at UBC, where it showed that people who have been smoking for 20+ years and quit had the same amount of disease and death as those who continued to smoke the rest of their lives. So essentially, once you've been smoking for that long the damage is already done...
Yes, please find the source to that study. I am curious to read it as almost all other scientifically backed peer reviewed research indicates quite the opposite.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #48

**UPDATE** Well, the Champix has worked great so far. 2 days of not smoking and I'll feel better already. The drug really curbs the cravings; as it did for me when I quit before. I feel almost a sense of increased creditability since it is frowned upon in society nowadays.

I think I'm going to start working out and getting in shape. I'm going to have all this extra lung capacity so I might as well use it. LOL!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #49

So if you don't smoke you have a better tan?
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #50

Sorry for the bump but I'm kinda using this thread as motivation for me. I'm still smoke-free and feeling great
This post thanked by: