REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/automotive-detailing-car-care-tech_49/)
-   -   How good are waterless washes? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689664-how-good-waterless-washes.html)

m3thods 10-29-2013 12:40 PM

How good are waterless washes?

I thought I'd get your input on waterless washes. I actually have a huge bottle of ONR that I use for clay lube, but I'm starting to see products like Chemical Guys EcoSmart waterless wash as well as "GOClean". Since Winter is quickly approaching, I don't have access to a covered garage to wash a car in.

Do these things actually work? How do they not scratch paint if the dirt isn't being "rinsed off"? Anyone actually use any of the products above?

gn02156668 10-29-2013 09:37 PM

they would usually suggest you to rinse your car if the exterior is heavily soiled. Otherwise u will be dragging the dirt back and forth with the microfiber towel. There should be instructions on each bottle and you will require lots of towels since they will get dirty very easily.

Roach 10-30-2013 01:00 AM

I recently polished a heavily washed STI that has been regularly washed using the Garry Dean Method of waterless washing using ONR. Considering how soft Subaru clearcoat is, there was minimal marring in the clearcoat. Thumbs up from me.

Kev

thumper 10-30-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3thods (Post 8349376)
I thought I'd get your input on waterless washes. I actually have a huge bottle of ONR that I use for clay lube, but I'm starting to see products like Chemical Guys EcoSmart waterless wash as well as "GOClean". Since Winter is quickly approaching, I don't have access to a covered garage to wash a car in.

Do these things actually work? How do they not scratch paint if the dirt isn't being "rinsed off"? Anyone actually use any of the products above?

i tried the ONR once a few winters back when everything was frozen outside so washing out on the street with a bucket and nothing else was the only option because the car was in really bad shape. i tried washing a section of the bumper and i ended up really scratching it up because of all the sand they used on the streets for ice and the car was covered with it... i was better off taking my chances at a waterless automated car wash.

m3thods 10-31-2013 01:59 PM

Thanks guys. Looks like I should just use a touchless wash then.

thumper 10-31-2013 02:20 PM

in hindsight, what i should have done then was go to a touchless carwash first and rinse off as much crap as possible and then go home and finish it off with the waterless.

gn02156668 10-31-2013 06:09 PM

touchless FTW :fullofwin: