REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 10-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
How good are waterless washes?

I thought I'd get your input on waterless washes. I actually have a huge bottle of ONR that I use for clay lube, but I'm starting to see products like Chemical Guys EcoSmart waterless wash as well as "GOClean". Since Winter is quickly approaching, I don't have access to a covered garage to wash a car in.

Do these things actually work? How do they not scratch paint if the dirt isn't being "rinsed off"? Anyone actually use any of the products above?
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

they would usually suggest you to rinse your car if the exterior is heavily soiled. Otherwise u will be dragging the dirt back and forth with the microfiber towel. There should be instructions on each bottle and you will require lots of towels since they will get dirty very easily.
gn02156668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #3

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
I recently polished a heavily washed STI that has been regularly washed using the Garry Dean Method of waterless washing using ONR. Considering how soft Subaru clearcoat is, there was minimal marring in the clearcoat. Thumbs up from me.

Kev
Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I thought I'd get your input on waterless washes. I actually have a huge bottle of ONR that I use for clay lube, but I'm starting to see products like Chemical Guys EcoSmart waterless wash as well as "GOClean". Since Winter is quickly approaching, I don't have access to a covered garage to wash a car in.

Do these things actually work? How do they not scratch paint if the dirt isn't being "rinsed off"? Anyone actually use any of the products above?
i tried the ONR once a few winters back when everything was frozen outside so washing out on the street with a bucket and nothing else was the only option because the car was in really bad shape. i tried washing a section of the bumper and i ended up really scratching it up because of all the sand they used on the streets for ice and the car was covered with it... i was better off taking my chances at a waterless automated car wash.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #5

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Thanks guys. Looks like I should just use a touchless wash then.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
in hindsight, what i should have done then was go to a touchless carwash first and rinse off as much crap as possible and then go home and finish it off with the waterless.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 10-31-2013 at 07:37 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

touchless FTW
gn02156668 is offline   Reply With Quote