REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 10-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

guide me on pets (dog)

i have been thinking about adopting a pet for a while. however i was living in a apt before so held off. Now i am in a town house opposite a park, which i think are better condition for a mid size dog.

i have never had a pet before, which is why i am little hesitant about owning a dog, but figured, its time to learn. i am looking for a dog thru petfinder etc.

i am single, so usually nobody is home during day times, however i live fairly close to work, so i dont mind going home at lunch and walking the dog. i am willing to change my life style stay home more often (less going out/vacations).

what else should i be looking at, and am i better off adopting a pup or a young dog..etc.

can people are new to pets chime in..

thanks
Advertisement
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
First and foremost, pets require as much dedication to as a child would.

A responsible pet owner will need to make a lot of changes to their lifestyles.
Dogs are social animals, and really do not like to be left home alone. Different dogs have different personalities and some breeds are better than others, but in general it is not recommended to leave dogs home alone.

If you are dead set on it, there is nothing wrong with adopting an older dog. Older dogs will show their true personalities better than puppies, and most older dogs should be house trained which will be much better than a puppy that is constantly having accidents inside your place.

Another option is looking for an older do. I hate to say it, but older dogs are usually less desirable as people want puppies.
And older dog is usually less energetic, requires less walks.

Or, you can try dog sitting for a while and see if it really will work with your current lifestyle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Having a dog is very onerous. Be super sure you're not just getting one out of boredom or loneliness.

Train your dog properly from the start and it'll pay off in spades. I adopted a dog and it took me a good 3-4 months to potty train her (that means waking up every 4 hours to walk her outside, until she got the message). In addition she was abused so there were added hardships to training her. *Check history

She started becoming friendly after, I would say, 8 months.

Why did I choose an abused super shy dog? Well, I lived in an apartment and she displayed a very quiet "old person" temperament. We both suited each others lifestyle. She'll require maybe 1 hour of walking/biking maximum a day and she'll gladly sleep or hang out with me the rest of the time. 5 year old German Shepherd. Took me 3 years of searching to find my best buddy.

Good luck!
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #4

thanks..

i do get the option to work from home. and plan to use it often specially first year to spend as much time with the dog. i dont plan to leave the dog alone for more than 3 hours at a time .

my major concern is training the dog, as i dont have exp. with that. i will be looking into obediance classes .
Old 10-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Sounds like you live alone, you will want to look into a mid-to-low level energy dog breed. They'll still need exercise but will be happy stay home for a couple of hours while you work.

You can adopt an adult dog or get a puppy, all depends on your preference. Adult dogs might come with certain lifestyle/habits that might or might not work with you. Puppies are quite popular because they come with a clean slate.

Training a new dog is not difficult, just require a lot of patient and understanding from your end the first couple of weeks to a couple of months. Some people dislike Cesar Milan but I watched a lot of his training videos and that works out pretty well for me and my buddy. Socializing with other dogs is also key, especially in the beginning.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Sounds like you live alone, you will want to look into a mid-to-low level energy dog breed. They'll still need exercise but will be happy stay home for a couple of hours while you work.
It's important to note, you CANNOT judge a dog's energy level and exercise needs based solely on size. I see a lot of people get small dogs for condo and apartment living because they figure that's best suited for a small living space, and big dogs need lots of space... fact is, some of the LEAST energetic dogs are big breeds like Great Danes, St. Bernards, etc. Amazingly, greyhounds are also very low energy. Meanwhile, many smaller breeds are very energetic, especially herding breeds like Shelties, collies, Australian shepherds, etc. - they'll lose their minds around the house if they don't get LOTS of exercise.

If you really want to work on the karma points, look for a shelter dog: there are tons out there that have been surrendered, rescued, or abandoned, and are in need of good homes. SumAznGuy's advice about older dogs applies here too: RESPONSIBLE rescues will have done extensive evaluations of their dogs, and know what sort of home each one needs... they'll also do an extensive evaluation of you, your lifestyle, and your home, to make sure you and the dog will be a good fit - the last thing they want to see is a dog come back to them because of confused expectations.

If you go the shelter route, be wary of any that make it TOO easy for you to just come in and grab any dog, because they're probably more concerned with just collecting your "adoption fee" than finding the dog THE RIGHT home.

As has already been mentioned, a mature dog is probably better for your first dog, because a lot of the basic training has already been done and the dog has settled into his temperament, so you know exactly what you're getting. A puppy can come later, with all the extra challenges that brings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #7

Just as an example...

Quote:
Deloris the SuperDog hopes today is her lucky day!!! Maybe her forever family will come down and fall in love!?

Never give up hope Deloris!!!
Quote:
Poor Deloris, in the shelter for too too long. She is currently awaiting her new home at DCAS. She was surrendered in February, adopted in May, returned in early August, and is still waiting. Someone give this girl a chance!!

No small, young children, and Deloris is dog selective. But she would make an awesome best friend!
Quote:
Old 10-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #8

oh, btw, i have reading climbing stairs is bad for a dogs spine... any truth to that??? i have 3 floors and roof deck...
Old 10-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Generally no, but some breeds are known for back problems.
Dachshunds is one breed in particular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #10

We have three floors, our little ones have no issue with them, not even the 13-year-old (other than the fact that she's mostly blind, so she's a little tentative getting started, and her joints tend to be a little stiff when she first wakes up).

Dachshunds are certainly an exception, as they have short legs, long spines, and big barrel chests that tend to bump on things easily.
Quote:
Old 11-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Like what others have said, getting a dog means almost a complete change of lifestyle and it's a long journey. The average life expectancy of a dog is about 12-13 years. In addition, what I found was that it's not only the present you're looking at but also the future. Some of the questions I would ask myself is "What if I get laid off, will I have the financial means to keep the dog? If my work requires me to travel or be out of town, will I have someone to look after the dog or will I be able to afford boarding services (another huge topic in my opinion to find the right place)? Long term care for the dog especially when it gets old? Have I done enough research on what breed of dog to get and do I understand the breed well enough to know what it needs?"
All that being said, and it's pretty much a personal preference, I got a puppy over a dog from the shelter. I support the idea of adoption but he's my first dog and I wasn't sure if I would be able to handle a dog with potential behavioural problems due to my lack of experience with dog. For my next dog and for the rest of my life, I would most likely adopt rather than getting a puppy from breeder.
The journey is long but It's well worth it!
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
The journey is long but It's well worth it!
And just fair warning, it'll rip your heart out when you have to let him go one day... but those intervening years are TOTALLY worth it.
Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Oh I know, even though he's still young but I'm dreading the day already. Even just last night, he managed to get himself half a jar of garlic and I did not get a good night sleep worrying about him
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote