REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Israel launches strike at Syria

Israeli warplanes strike Syria, U.S. says - World - CBC News

Quote:
Israeli warplanes attacked a shipment of Russian missiles inside a Syrian government stronghold, officials said Thursday, a development that threatened to add another explosive layer to regional tensions from the Syrian civil war.

An Obama administration official confirmed the Israeli airstrike overnight, but provided no details. Another security official said the attack occurred late Wednesday in the Syrian port city of Latakia and that the target was Russian-made SA-125 missiles.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the attack. There was no immediate confirmation from Syria.

The revelation came as the government of President Bashar Assad met a key deadline in an ambitious plan to eliminate Syria's entire chemical weapons stockpile by mid-2014 and avoid international military action.

The announcement by a global chemical weapons watchdog that the country has completed the destruction of equipment used to produce the deadly agents highlights Assad's willingness to cooperate, and puts more pressure on the divided and outgunned rebels to attend a planned peace conference.

Since the civil war in Syria began in March 2011, Israel has carefully avoided taking sides, but has struck shipments of missiles inside Syria at least twice this year.

The Syrian military, overstretched by the civil war, has not retaliated, and it was not clear whether the embattled Syrian leader would choose to take action this time. Assad may decide to again let the Israeli attack slide, particularly when his army has the upper hand on the battlefield inside Syria.

Israel has repeatedly declared a series of red lines that could trigger Israeli military intervention, including the delivery of "game-changing" weapons to the Syrian-backed Lebanese Hezbollah group.
Israel has never confirmed attacks

Israel has never officially confirmed taking action inside Syria to avoid embarrassing Assad and sparking a potential response. But foreign officials say it has done so several times when Israeli intelligence determined that sophisticated missiles were on the move.

In January, an Israeli airstrike in Syria destroyed a shipment of advanced anti-aircraft missiles bound for Hezbollah, according to U.S. officials. And in May, it was said to have acted again, taking out a shipment of Iranian-made Fateh-110 missiles at a Damascus airport.

The Fateh-110s are missiles with advanced guidance systems and a 200-kilometre range. Their solid-fuel propellant allows them to be launched at short notice,

Israel has identified several other weapons systems as game changers, including chemical weapons, Russian-made Yakhont missiles that can be fired from land and destroy ships at sea, and Russian SA-17 anti-aircraft missiles. Israel's January airstrike is believed to have destroyed a shipment of SA-17s.
American war puppet? First Syria must not carry chemical weapons now they can't have missiles?

Talk about being an aggressor. If Syria struck at Israel we all know the US will bomb the living daylights our of Syria.

Advertisement
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,054 Posts
Can we just start the war already?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarobbt View Post

American war puppet? First Syria must not carry chemical weapons now they can't have missiles?

Talk about being an aggressor. If Syria struck at Israel we all know the US will bomb the living daylights our of Syria.

wern't the missiles meant to be shippped to Hezbollah???? r u saying its ok for Syria to have & use Chemical weapons?..

.... im sure Israel will more than capable of taking on Syria..
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,030 Posts
I am not entirely convinced that today's Israel is still the US' Middle East war puppet. 10 years ago they definitely are. Even 5 years ago they will still mostly agree with US "recommendations" when it comes to military actions. But in the last year or two, I'm just not so sure anymore.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarobbt View Post
Israel is a sovereign nation that doesn't need US approval to defend its nation. Fact of the matter is, if Israelis neighbours had the capability they would have tried to destroy it decades ago. Syria will do nothing because they know any sort of military retaliation will be meaningless. The IDF are stronger, smarter and far more technologically advanced than anyone else in the region. It would be like the USAF striking a shipment of weapons in Vancouver Harbour - WTF would we be able to do about it...nothing. Absolutely nothing. The IDF has free reign in the region, with or without US support.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,007 Times in 403 Posts
Israel is still US's bitch, otherwise Iran would have a nuke by now.

I thought China and Russia backs up Syria?
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #7

^
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

war is obviously the last thing these players want. that attack is too small in the grant scheme of things.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #9

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
Israel is a sovereign nation that doesn't need US approval to defend its nation. Fact of the matter is, if Israelis neighbours had the capability they would have tried to destroy it decades ago. Syria will do nothing because they know any sort of military retaliation will be meaningless. The IDF are stronger, smarter and far more technologically advanced than anyone else in the region. It would be like the USAF striking a shipment of weapons in Vancouver Harbour - WTF would we be able to do about it...nothing. Absolutely nothing. The IDF has free reign in the region, with or without US support.
except without the US, Israel would not have any weapons to "defend it's nation"

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
except without the US, Israel would not have any weapons to "defend it's nation"
and without Iran the Pale's wouldn't be committing terrorism against Israel. It's all relative. The US won't stop selling Israel weapons any time soon seeing how they do the dirty work of the western world. Israel isn't afraid to strike targets outside its borders to defend itself. Like it or not, no one is going to do anything about it.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
No, war is exactly whats wanted. Israel has defeated everyone that has opposed it, and not only defeated but gained from every encounter.

In short, israel could defeat syria with no problem, other than the alliance issue(russia). They gwt rid of

An unstable neighbor relatively guilt free.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 1,908 Times in 771 Posts
when will 'murica protect her ally?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote