REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #126
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
I'll live in Whalley before Richmond.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #127
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
ive lived in surrey 20 out of my near 23 years alive.. only been stabbed 15 times.. I dont know what all the fuss is about..

but seriously.. ive never even witnessed anything fucked up.. when my car got stolen it was in Langley and found in Delta..

im more scared driving though Gastown and the surrounding areas than anything in Surrey.

I dont live far from Newton exchange and I will admit with all the development around Surrey Central, Newton is becoming the new hotspot for these skids to hang out and cause issues.. but I also dont take transit so its something I occasionally drive past and dont think twice about
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #128
Banned (ABWS)

Other than Whalley, the rest of Surrey is alright and actually a nice place for a family. I lived here my whole life and I honestly worry more about someone breaking into my car when I park it in East Van, South Burnaby, and even Downtown. Is something wrong with me?

Come at me bros with the fails.
Red-nijzllab is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #129
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-nijzllab View Post
Other than Whalley, the rest of Surrey is alright and actually a nice place for a family. I lived here my whole life and I honestly worry more about someone breaking into my car when I park it in East Van, South Burnaby, and even Downtown. Is something wrong with me?

Come at me bros with the fails.

I heard numerous case of window smashing in South Burnaby all the time especially on kemp street / wilson avenue. If you drive pass there right now, you can see shattered glass on the floor.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #130
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
In all honesty, having lived in Vancouver all my life I've come to realize two things:

1) My friends in surrey have real bedrooms with attached personal washrooms/walk-in closets and real backyards for barbecues (Surrey house parties = a real party whereas vancouver house parties = awkwardly cramming 50 people in 1200 sq feet of space ... reminds me of highschool 'hotel parties' lul)

2) If I ever want a house with a real backyard (I'm sorry but the 30x120 and 50x120 lots in vancouver are decent for living, you don't have much space at all -- hell most vancouverites can't even own a big dog because their backyard simply isn't big enough for them) I better be prepared to pay upwards of $2 million (in our current market) to get a lot that's decently sized (60-70x120-150 or bigger) and then spend $1 million building it (i.e. bigger lots = shaughnessy/west-end areas = having to abide by their building/standards bylaws for a new house = spending a helluva lot more making a house than say in east van).

Crime's a moot point TBH. I'm young and I love living in vancouver -- 90% of my driving is 5-10kms or less. However, when I want to have a family I need to decide whether I wanna cram a bunch of kids into a 3500 square foot house for 1.1 million dollars, or 1.6-1.8 million dollars for a 5000 square foot house in killarney/renfrew/etc (.. and even more for west-end)

Pisses me off that for $2 million the best I can get is a 5000 square foot house that looks no different than the one 5 feet away from it.

Oh also, fun fact, career planning right now. Almost every career I can get into is saturated as hell in Vancouver whereas the demand is high in abbotsford/surrey/whiterock/langley -- i.e. everywhere but vancouver.

So .. what to do?
Commute 2 hours everyday and live in a crammed house I paid too much for, choke on mortgage payments, and be unable to afford any of the luxuries I promised to myself, live in a central location but be unable to afford the time/money to do anything because I have to work full-time to keep my shit together.

Or ..
say fuck it, live in the burbs, cut mortage payment in half but be unable to claim the notoriety of vancouver

tl;dr

crime is a moot point
living in vancouver is only fun for young people
eventually everyone will face the decision of staying here or leaving -- eventually it's gonna get to the point where only the affluent and the nearminded stay in Vancouver (by nearminded .. I mean all those people working dead-end jobs living in yale town )
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #131
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Oddly enough, both times I've had my car broken into I was at Metrotown. Worked for 2 years at central city mall and nobody touched my car. Go figure.
egh. the car may be safe, but... in the 3 years i have been working off and on at central city, i recall the mall going into lockdown because of a gang fight, an assault on a female office worker in one of the stairwells in the parkade (which eventually led to the new emergency call boxes that have now been installed), and last october the rcmp blocking entry and exit into the multistorey parkade because they had chased a car thief inside who ditched his stolen ride and they were trying to flush him out. on occasion we see transit police chasing someone across the surface parking lot (target) from the skytrain station and we have nicknamed it the transit police marathon.

and of course there was the murder of maple batalia in the sfu entrance a few years back.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 01-04-2014 at 07:09 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #132
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Van vs. Surrey for a family?

Option 1:

My kids will have to grow up around a bunch of dirt balls, tripping over AIDS infested needles, and living in poverty due to the high cost of living.

Option 2:

I will have to deal with the anguish involved with telling people that I live in Surrey.

Fuck it, they will probably cure AIDS soon anyway!

Vancouver
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #133
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
egh. the car may be safe, but... in the 3 years i have been working off and on at central city, i recall the mall going into lockdown because of a gang fight, an assault on an female office worker in one of the stairwells in the parkade (which eventually led to the new emergency call boxes that have now been installed), and last october the rcmp blocking entry and exit into the multistorey parkade because they had chased a car thief inside who had abandoned the car he stole and they were trying to flush him out. on occasion we see transit police chasing someone across the surface parking lot (target) from the skytrain station and we have nicknamed it the transit police marathon.

and of course there was the murder of maple batalia in the sfu entrance a few years back.
Now .. is it just because it's surrey or is it because the skytrain serves as an easy escape and cheap transportation for less than well-to-do individuals?

I worked on commercial/broadway for 5 years -- heart of vancouver and a huge skytrain hub linking the millenium line and the expo line. Twice I saw the security guard getting punched in the face/head for not letting shady customers in close to closing time. Tons of theft, lots of drunks/crackheads/methadone users coming in at 6am to get their pills and causing a ruckus. The public bathroom was disgusting in my 5 years there I never stepped foot in it but always got complaints of blood/customers locking themselves in there for extended periods of time/someone died in there.

We would routinely have people come in, open up bottles of the brown listerine and just slam it back to get drunk, or drink hand sanitizer to get drunk. Tons of stupid/violent shit. One night someone broke in using a sign and stole a bunch of cigarettes and left, all while 6-7 workers were inside working. All this with a heavy police prsence in the area.

Petty crime happens everywhere. In terms of women being assaulted in stairwells, well ... look at UBC. Some of the most expensive real-estate in vancouver and women have routinely been attacked there, and the attacker hasn't been caught.

Excuse my colloquialism for a moment here, but there have been numerous sociologists/psychologists/philosophers/government agencies who have tested/reaffirmed the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultivation_theory that basically whatever you are fed by the media as being a problem will become number one on your personal agenda as being a problem wherever you are. I could tell you the number one selling car is a Nissan Juke, you will start seeing it everywhere. I could tell you the highest number of rapists in canada live in Burnaby -- you will instantly label anyone in that area with a moustache and other 'tell-tale characteristics' as a potential rapist.

Anyways, we all love to hate on surrey. It's fun, I do it all the time but do I personally believe it? Nope. Sure we go out clubbing run into surrey jacks, but are they really representative of the population? Think about it -- if you're in your early 20's and are a well-to-do individual, are you gonna be using dad's President's Choice Mastercard to go out clubbing in a town 40km away, or are you gonna stay nearby, go somewhere local and hangout with friends in an intimate environment?

Food for thought. If you really believe the surrey hype you should pick up a fucking book and stop being a degenerate
Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #134
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I'll live in Whalley before Richmond.
Posted via RS Mobile
good. dont need you in richmond anyway.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #135
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
Today I went to get something to eat but then I walked outside to my car being stolen, so I decided to walk almost got stabbed on my way there nearly shot on my way back and even worse when I got back home someone was breaking into my house.

I called the police and they said "Welcome to Surrey" so I'm typing this on my phone that someone is about bear mace me for but at least their letting me finish this post if anyone see's a cheap S4 let me know

this is all a true story it's really as bad as everyone says
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #136
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
According to my brother in laws nephew who is from Michigan, Surrey is the best place in the world. I am 100% percent serious. He wanted to cruise down Scott road bumping this:

Old 01-04-2014, 01:43 AM   #137
My homepage has been set to RS

Dianne Watts > Moonbeam.
$600,000 4000sq/ft house > $600,000 700sq/ft apt
Dealing with a few surrey jacks now and then > being assaulted on Hastings by a crackhead (which happened)

So far, after 24 of my 25 years in Surrey I am happy, alive and live a better life than most. Sure it has it's downsides but so does everywhere. With the new bridge, SPFR and such, living in Surrey is better than ever.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #138
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Suspicious death in Surrey a 41yr old woman was found dead

RCMP investigating suspicious death in Surrey | News1130

Quote:
SURREY (NEWS1130) – Surrey RCMP are investigating what they’re calling a suspicious death.

A 41-year old woman was found dead inside a home on 115 Ave. near Bedford Dr.

Police say they’ve previously been called to that same home, but have no further details yet.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #139
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,273 Times in 275 Posts

Last edited by fT-z33wor; 01-07-2014 at 07:57 PM.
fT-z33wor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #140
N8
I STILL don't get it

Old 01-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #141

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
I think it really all depends on what you value in life... If you work downtown and want to live in a big house with a back yard and you're not making $$$, you'll be living in the suburbs spending a lot of time in traffic/on transit.

For example, most people work 9-5. If you live in Surrey, you're spending 45 mins to an hour getting to/from work everyday. So, you're getting up around 6:30-7am to get ready, eat breakfast, get in your car / get on the bus/skytrain, and get to work for 9. Then you leave at 5, get home for 6, eat dinner, watch some TV, enjoy your big house/back yard for an hour, then go to bed and repeat the same for the next 5/7 days. So in reality, you are enjoying your big Surrey house for about 3 hours a day, not including weekends...

As opposed to, you live downtown in an apartment, 15 mins away from your work, where you can walk or take a cab if it's raining/snowing/too cold. So you get to sleep longer, get home after work sooner, have more time for hobbies/activities, don't have to spend hours in traffic/dealing with idiot drivers, etc...

For me, I'm not planning on getting married any time soon or even when I do, I'm only having 1 kid. I won't need a 5 bedroom house. So, I would much rather be closer to work/work from home so I have time to do other stuff/spend time with my family.

On another note, everyone is saying that you can get a decent sized house for a reasonable amount of money in only Surrey. Last I looked, houses in Coquitlam, Poco, Pitt Meadows were similarly priced and you don't have to deal with the Surrey stigma if you want an "affordable" decent sized house

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #142
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8 View Post

OT but,
Did anyone hear the actual story about 'the surrey three'?

coles notes:
Spoiler!

edit:

Someone PM-ed me for the link
http://www.theprovince.com/Surrey+th...784/story.html
http://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/co...harles_bar_in/

read the reddit post from chem113

Last edited by BrRsn; 01-12-2014 at 10:21 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #143
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Is Whalley where Gateway skytrain is?
PowerOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #144
Banned (ABWS)

All surrey skytrain stations are in Whalley, which is why everyone who goes to Surrey by skytrain thinks all of Surrey is like that.

*I'm not sure if Scott Rd is considered whalley, close enough though.
Red-nijzllab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #145

Scott Road and King George are kind of pushing it. Surrey Central and Gateway are both definatly Whalley.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #146
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Scott Road and King George are kind of pushing it. Surrey Central and Gateway are both definatly Whalley.

A year or so ago some guy I know sent me a link to some crazy whore he met on PoF. She was hot, but she was pregnant with some Surrey gangsta douche who looked like the most stereotypical white trash dude you could imagine. Pitbull, tattoos, huge chrome gaudy wheels on some piece of shit SUV, frosted tips, Tap-Out shirts, giving the finger in every photo, like seriously every trait you'd expect a thug type character to have, he had. She has a PoF account and apparently cheats on this guy when he's out doing shady shit or when they fight, and this guy I knew boned her and wasn't sure if the kid was his or not.

The best part was they lived across from Surrey Central skytrain and they both loved to take selfies of each other while on the balcony so you could see the Skytrain station. I remember browsing their profiles and being like "This is internet archaeology" and I'm the Indiana Jones of mother fucking Surrey trash. These two were like the Temple of Doom and The Lost Ark being in the same place at once, it was incredible. Like the stereotypes were all present and if you asked me to take a photo to show "white trash Surrey couple" I could not have created a more true-to-life artistic scene as those two.

I know I come across as an elitist prick when I write this, and I might even have found things I had in common with them. Perhaps we share a love for 80's wrestling, a common beer we like, or share a mocking attitude towards the Canucks. They might even be decent people at times, I didn't know them, but it is hard to not judge a book by that kind of cover ya know?

A friend of mine who lives out there even reported seeing a couple clown-makeup juggalos walking around Surrey. When you have a few juggalos you're going to soon have an infestation of juggalos, and Surrey is like the perfect breeding ground.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-13-2014, 02:55 AM   #147
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

what did i just wasted my time reading? i was hoping for funny
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #148
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
so you stalked some girl from plenty of fish and then ridiculed her life while going through every available pic of her and her boyfriend but still managed to find commonalities between you three...and you're worried about coming across as elitist and not bat shit stalker crazy?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2014, 05:05 AM   #149
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
so you stalked some girl from plenty of fish and then ridiculed her life while going through every available pic of her and her boyfriend but still managed to find commonalities between you three...and you're worried about coming across as elitist and not bat shit stalker crazy?

Since when is clicking a link and looking at photos for a couple minutes "stalking"?

Some people post genuinely entertaining and funny shit on Facebook!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:51 AM   #150
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

why do you care how other people live their lives if they offer no value to you.

You come off like an asshole. I remove people from facebook who I find cringe (just as much as I'm sure people do to me?) because I dont want to be hit in the face with stupid everyday.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: