REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Blackfish (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689798-blackfish.html)

MindBomber 11-02-2013 09:23 PM

Blackfish

The Sundance film Blackfish has been airing on CNN over the past week.

I watched it twice, and it was a great documentary on an issue that's long interested and concerned me. I was wondering whether anyone here watched it and would like to share their thoughts/discuss?

Here's the wikipedia page, good for a tl;dr:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackfish_(film)

Here's the trailer:

It's coming out on Netflix on Nov. 11, I checked for anyone wondering.

dinosaur 11-02-2013 09:45 PM

I really want to watch this, but I have a very hard time watching these types films.

Emotionally, it stays with me for days and I feel very helpless.

Delish 11-02-2013 09:47 PM

^ no kidding. Have you ever watched "Dear Zachary" ? :(

BeeBeeAhn 11-02-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8352615)
I really want to watch this, but I have a very hard time watching these types films.

Despair. That's what I would call it. That's how I felt after watching "The Cove".

dinosaur 11-02-2013 10:01 PM

The Cove still guts me today...:(

murd0c 11-02-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8352625)
The Cove still guts me today...:(

Saddest and sicked documentary I have ever seen... thanks for reminding me about it :okay:

radioman 11-02-2013 10:17 PM

Watched this sometime in September.

I had an understanding of some things that were going on but there was a lot more I didn't know.

The thing that made me feel the worst was the limp dorsal fins. Fuck I hate that they're kept in tanks.

sloansabbith 11-02-2013 10:39 PM

I just watched Blackfish recently. I found it so interesting how the main male whale under question was from BC (well Iceland originally..but you know what I mean)!!

Like the cove, Blackfish left me feeling super sad. I think Blackfish hit home a little differently though. I thought the cove was so gut wrenching, their editing style, the graphic shots they captured under water etc. But in the case of Blackfish, I think the most unsettling feeling I got from it stemmed from the fact that Tilikum is still alive and at Seaworld.......

E-40six 11-03-2013 12:01 AM

If anyone wants to watch it right now, it just started on CNN

MindBomber 11-03-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8352615)

This is very cliche, but the difficulty of the experiences are why they're so worthwhile watching.

sloansabbith 11-03-2013 01:17 AM

I think the unsettled feelings we get from watching them spark conversation, and from these a healthy discourse arises for social change.

E-40six 11-03-2013 01:17 AM

this popped up on 9gag as the documentary was airing

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...XQ_700b_v2.jpg

Marshall Placid 11-03-2013 01:22 AM

It was a good documentary, and presents valid points.

Not as tough/gut-wrenching to watch as The Cove though.

PiuYi 11-03-2013 01:28 AM

i'm pretty split on aquariums and zoos... on one hand you're imprisoning animals, sometimes subjecting them to torturous conditions, for life and it feels like it goes against all morals and ethics. On the other hand, the suffering of a few members of their species presents a great opportunity for people to research and learn about these animals. Maybe in the long term it will be for the species' own greater benefit by allowing humans to make scientifically sound environmental decisions.

MG1 11-03-2013 08:37 AM

There's nothing to be learned by watching captured animals in a zoo or aquarium.

As a child, I remember having to go to the zoo in Stanley Park when they had a real zoo there. The only thing I learned on those school field trips were how wrong it was to cage up animals.

As a parent, I don't ever recall taking my children to any kind of zoo. They never saw a giraffe or an elephant. They've seen enough wildlife documentary films to know about them.

dinosaur 11-03-2013 08:47 AM

I think it is best to take a kid to volunteer at a wildlife rescue facility if they want an up close and personal experience with an animal. These facilities and organizations can teach the importance of animals being kept in their natural habitat and the downside of human encroachment on their lands.

CL_S 11-03-2013 09:42 AM

Posted via RS Mobile

blagh 11-03-2013 11:07 AM

It's wrong to breed wild/exotic animals in captivity too, it's just as bad as capturing them from the wild.

They loose their wild instincts(some of them) and wont be able to fend for themselves, if they ever get released to the wild.

kayceeee 11-03-2013 04:27 PM

the part that really got me was when they interviewed one of the divers, the old dude with tattoos, when he broke down recalling the moment when they captured the young ones, and the whole fam just kept communicating to the whale, all helpless watching their kid get taken away, that really hit me hard.

Lomac 11-03-2013 04:36 PM

Documentaries: Presenting biased opinions, one highly edited cut scene at at time. :p

Not saying that's the case in this situation, but it's something to always keep in the back of your mind when watching this type of film.

dinosaur 11-03-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayceeee (Post 8353162)
the part that really got me was when they interviewed one of the divers, the old dude with tattoos, when he broke down recalling the moment when they captured the young ones, and the whole fam just kept communicating to the whale, all helpless watching their kid get taken away, that really hit me hard.

:tears: gutting.

GS8 11-03-2013 05:10 PM

I will definitely have to check this film out.

One thing I've always hated is when people anthropomorphize animal behaviour. Unless you're an animal psychologist or even a student of animal behaviour studies, attributing human qualities to an animal is condescending, disrespectful and dangerous.

Personally, I never call an animal 'cute' or say 'awwww' when you show me a photo of a kitten playing with a ball of yarn. Animals are not dumb. They learn and develop like any other life form does including expressing love for their offspring.

Zoos / Aquariums remind me of slavery. If a slave is offered food and housing for demeaning work, they have two options:

i.) Do the work and continue to live
ii.) Do not do the work and probably die

I'm pretty sure some animals decided on option two because they couldn't get used to their confined space. How many younlings died at the Vancouver Aquarium?

**I'm not animal psychologist either. I'm just ranting because my news feed on FB gets polluted with photos of cats with retarded captions

MindBomber 11-03-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8353197)
I will definitely have to check this film out.

One thing I've always hated is when people anthropomorphize animal behaviour. Unless you're an animal psychologist or even a student of animal behaviour studies, attributing human qualities to an animal is condescending, disrespectful and dangerous.

Personally, I never call an animal 'cute' or say 'awwww' when you show me a photo of a kitten playing with a ball of yarn. Animals are not dumb. They learn and develop like any other life form does including expressing love for their offspring.

Zoos / Aquariums remind me of slavery. If a slave is offered food and housing for demeaning work, they have two options:

i.) Do the work and continue to live
ii.) Do not do the work and probably die

I'm pretty sure some animals decided on option two because they couldn't get used to their confined space. How many younlings died at the Vancouver Aquarium?

**I'm not animal psychologist either. I'm just ranting because my news feed on FB gets polluted with photos of cats with retarded captions

I do absolutely agree, anthropomorphism is overall dangerous and detrimental to non-human animals and science, but your post is a bit backwards. It is not anthropomorphism to call a domesticated cat 'playing' cute, because it's describing a quality rather than a behaviour. The term 'cute' has no place in strictly scientific observation, but casually observing domesticated cat behaviour is not science. Treating casual observation of domesticate car behaviour as scientific observation suggests you are taking things too seriously, chill out. Now, referring to behaviour as 'playing' and 'expressing love' are examples of anthropomorphism, which is what you oppose. I'll note that anthropomorphism of a domesticated cat is not a big deal, because the worst case outcome is basically being scratched. A potentially dangerous animal - like a horse - is an different story. You're on point otherwise, and food starvation is a 'training method' Seaworld employees quite heavily so you'll probably enjoy the documentary, since you mentioned just that in your post.

Don't take my disagreement with you on cats as confrontational; it's just respectful disagreement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayceeee (Post 8353162)

No doubt, man. The old dude with tattoos sounds like his story is interesting, I'd love to read more about him.

dinosaur 11-03-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8353197)

Personally, I never call an animal 'cute' or say 'awwww'

I challenge you to come to my house and meet my buddy Gandalf ;)

GS8 11-03-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8353222)
Don't take my disagreement with you on cats as confrontational; it's just respectful disagreement.

Not at all. I guess I'm just speaking from my personal dealings with house pets.

I don't have any myself but many of my friends do. I found it incredible how quickly they would bond with me. The irony is I am never the one to run up to them, yell 'Awww' and talk to them like they are a retarded baby.

I remember my friend's Siamese rolled onto her back after knowing me for only 40 min. I thought she just wanted a rub. Turns out cats expose their bellies to those they most trust as the stomach is the most sensitive part of their body.

Most other animals I've interacted with are very friendly with me despite my non embracing nature. Usually I'll go up to them, looking at them in the eyes. Then I'll hold my clenched fist out and let them sniff around. Typically, they'll walk away. From there, we'll slowly interact with each other. I use body language and hardly ever open my mouth and in short time, they remember me. My other friend's cat would follow me after I would leave my friend's place. Couple of times he actually followed me out the door, shit scaring my friend, lol.

Maybe I just hold too much respect for animals that it offends me to see them portrayed in such ways (FB photos) since they don't have control of the situation. Now I just block the people who spam them and now my newsfeed exudes some class (whatever class FB has left) :suspicious: .