REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 11-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Light Switch Changed Polarity?

So here I am, watching a movie on TV, when I noticed my porch lights go out. Thinking a breaker tripped, I went to turn the switch off on my way to the panel and suddenly the lights come on once it's in the "off" position. It's a single pole, one way switch, so it's not wired in with another unit, and this is the first time it's happened. It's a new build (<5 years) and there haven't been any electrical changes since the drywall was put up, so I know there can't be any odd half-assed fixes done in the past. That said, this entire house was built rather poorly, so I can't rule out any sort of shitty, unlicensed installations

All that said, any thoughts as to what might be causing this? I'm going to pop into town tomorrow to pick up a new switch, just in case, but I'm curious as to what other causes might have triggered this change.
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
So here I am, watching a movie on TV, when I noticed my porch lights go out. Thinking a breaker tripped, I went to turn the switch off on my way to the panel and suddenly the lights come on once it's in the "off" position. It's a single pole, one way switch, so it's not wired in with another unit, and this is the first time it's happened. It's a new build (<5 years) and there haven't been any electrical changes since the drywall was put up, so I know there can't be any odd half-assed fixes done in the past. That said, this entire house was built rather poorly, so I can't rule out any sort of shitty, unlicensed installations

All that said, any thoughts as to what might be causing this? I'm going to pop into town tomorrow to pick up a new switch, just in case, but I'm curious as to what other causes might have triggered this change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2557403.jpg (15.9 KB, 0 views)
kkthind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
take off the white cover/frame
look at the box, if there is more than 2 wires coming in to your porch light switch, there is a second switch that effects your porch light

(had to fix this problem on an older house ... by fix I mean run around the house flicking switches to figure out which switch effected the first switch... thats a lot of switches)
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Halloween was two days ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
Head Moderator

WTF

Well, that's a can of worms I just opened.

Just pulled the switch and it is indeed a three way, which is odd because there was only supposed to be one three way switch installed in the house and that's for something completely different on another floor.

Anyway, the issues I came across isn't electrical related (though I'm sure I'll notice some if i start pulling more outlets and switches lol), but the fact that there's absolutely no vapour barrier behind the drywall.

FML.

Seriously, in a semi-submerged basement built on the side of a hill, where the surrounding soil consists mostly of compacted clay, who finishes a basement in the following method:

Concrete walls
2 inch EPS foam board (I'm guestimating on the depth, but it's definitely the shitty EPS crap)
Dry wall
Done

Now I'm genuinely curious as to if there's any mould on the drywall in the back of the basement where it's actually built into the hill.

And this, people, is why you should observe each step of a house being built instead of assuming your GC knows WTF is going on.

edit: Okay, I know Code doesn't require a vapour barrier, but common sense should...
Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
So ... there's probably a second switch somewhere -- maybe the the garage lights or maybe there's an external power outlet in the soffit somewhere for christmas lights, and that's tied into your porch light?

on the plus side, you have a fun activity to do when you're bored
run around the house flipping switches!
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Head Moderator

That's gonna be a pain in the ass. All the switches that may have affected the lights are based upstairs and the porch lights are on the ground floor, under another deck.

Flip switch, run outside to the other side of the house, check lights, run back inside, flip another switch, repeat ad nauseum.

...yaaaaaaay...
Old 11-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Flip switch, run outside to the other side of the house, check lights, run back inside, flip another switch, repeat ad nauseum.
Much easier if you get a second person to help. RS Switch-Flipping Crew to the rescue?

Quote:
edit: Okay, I know Code doesn't require a vapour barrier, but common sense should...
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #9

So, did you ever find the other switch??
Quote:
Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Head Moderator

I did.

It was wired to a closet light switch.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #11

So, you went back into the closet, did you?
Quote:
This post thanked by: