REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
No Touch Policy Introduced to BC School

Quote:
A ban on touching during recess at a B.C. elementary school has shocked parents, who call the new no-touch policy "ridiculous."

For most kids, recess is a chance to run around and goof-off with their friends, but a new ban on touching at a school in Aldergrove could put a damper on playtime.

School administrators at Coghlan Fundamental Elementary School in B.C. have banned kindergarten students from touching each other during recess.

Hands-off policy for kindergarteners

Coghan Fundamental Elementary School in Langley has implemented a no-touching policy for kindergarten students at recess. Nov. 4, 2013. (CTV)

Students were sent home with a letter on Friday, advising parents of the new hands-off rule which prohibits games such as tag, holding hands and imaginary Star Wars light saber duels.

Julie Chen, a mother from the school, says she does not understand the motive behind such a strict ban.

"I can’t imagine little kids not being able to hug each other or help each other on the playground," Chen told CTV news. "Not tag, no hugging, no touching at all."

The letter states that the ban was put in place as a result of several playground injuries over the past few weeks due to games and other hands-on play during recess.

The school says it will have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to the no-touching policy and children who break the rule will miss playtime or be sent to the office.

School district spokesmen Ken Hoff says the ban is simply a measure to ensure student safety and not meant to severely punish students for touching.

"It wasn’t meant to be an instantaneous situation where the hammer is just going to drop if a child touches another child," Hoff said. "I think what it was meant to convey is we are taking the issue seriously," he added.

The letter asks parents to talk to their children about the new rules and encourage them to come up imaginary games that don’t involve "fighting".

Buzz Bishop, writer of popular parenting blog DadCAMP, says the new ban sounds absurd.

"School bans touching? Touching. How can they be serious?" Bishop wrote in a recent post.

"Are we that terrible at monitoring our kids that we can’t handle the few running amok on the playground, and we must put the entire student population on lockdown? Apparently we are," he added.

Chen feels the new rule is simply taking things too far.

"I get that kids have to have rules but at some point, where do we draw the line?" Chen said.

"I am not going to tell my daughter she can’t touch her friends at school. I am going to teach her boundaries."

Read more: New no-touch policy introduced at B.C. elementary school | CTV News
Coles notes:
-No touching during recess for Kindergarten kids.
-If you touch someone, you go to the office and don't get playtime
-New policy because too many kids going home with injuries

Any opinions other then... DAFUQ IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!
Advertisement
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 10:37 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
So it's ok to touch each other in Gr. 1 then?

What a joke. Thank god my Kindergartener doesn't go to a school with such a stupid rule.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #4

We're breeding a culture of "must protect people from themselves."

Man I can't even count how many times I got hurt during recess in school. I was part of growing up and learning not to do said stupid thing again.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
physical play stimulates the brain and help with development....
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

In the administrator's eyes it doesn't seem that stupid, it make sense somewhat.

If helicopter parents are going to be hovering around and breathing down my neck, threaten the school board with lawsuits every time their kids breathe in bacterial spores, it's a simple way to protect your own ass.

I wouldn't really blame the school, I blame retarded parents and their lawyers.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Reminds me of AD

Stupid policy, but doesn't surprise me these days with all the coddling of kids going on now.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
I am Hook'd on RS

So you can't play tag at recess?
Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Maybe if the teachers did a better job of the supervision they wouldn't have all of these so called "injuries" sounds like a cop out for a bunch of lazy ass teachers to me!!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Need to surround the school or kids with bubble wrap.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #11

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Clearly whoever is supposed to watch the kids play at recess just falls asleep or goes on break themselves.

I just find it completely insane that your going to ban touching. You teach kids not to push, or hit (punch/kick) others. That's how you might be able to stop the injuries.. Or watch what game is causing the injuries and ban that single game.. If someone was watching them play, wouldn't they be able to figure out how each kid gets injured?

Personally I think there are afew people just not doing their job anymore, and they should be fired.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post

Any opinions other then... DAFUQ IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!
x2

WTF is wrong with these idiot school administrators?!
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post

I wouldn't really blame the school, I blame retarded parents and their lawyers.
But here's the kicker.

We never sue anyone.

Obviously we pick it up as a society from US news and events where anyone anywhere can have a stupid lawsuit, but in Canada even though everyone runs around thinking they are going to get sued...they don't.

We can't even put drunk drivers that kill away for any length of time, but someone thinks they are going to get sued on a playground?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
When I read the title I thought it was for the teachers
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Coming to a school yard near you, its

No Touch 2013!TM

From the fine educational minds that brought us, "No Fail 2008" and "Everyone Hates Bullies 2010 here's a pink t-shit"

No Touch 2013

Are you tired of having kids that act like kids? Think no more! Have them live in a world of 2 feet of personal space!

And included with every purchase of the No Touch 2013 program is the updated rule book to 'Red Rover' because now, everyone comes over! But not too close Tommy, you already won this round.

Act fast, and we'll throw in, "Hugging Yourself is the Best Hug" and "Hi-five Yourself"

All brought to you by "Fuck Your Net Zero policy, I'm taking an extra coffee break" in association with "It's called a union, bitch. Fire me, I dare you"

The end result is spotless kids that know of no consequence to their actions. Good luck future! The grads of 2022 are coming to get you.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Buddy of mine broke his leg playing tackle football at recess with us in grade 6, ambulance came and we played again the next break lol

Also our principle even tore his ACL one time thinking he was hot stuff playing football with the kids lol

The pussification of society rolls on
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Too many injuries boo hoo it's a fact of life. You're a child you're going to skin your knees, a kids gonna push you too hard while you're playing and you're going to fall, big whoop. This was probably brought on by one or two bitchy mom's who were horrified that their little angel came home with a bruise.
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
But here's the kicker.

We never sue anyone.

Obviously we pick it up as a society from US news and events where anyone anywhere can have a stupid lawsuit, but in Canada even though everyone runs around thinking they are going to get sued...they don't.

We can't even put drunk drivers that kill away for any length of time, but someone thinks they are going to get sued on a playground?
It happens....

Girl wins lawsuit against boy for recess injury at Surrey school, when kids were 11 and 12 | Metro

Quote:
A girl has won her liability lawsuit against a boy for an injury she received at a private elementary school in Surrey during recess in 2008.

The girl was 11 and her schoolmate was 12 at the time.

Jacqueline Gu was being carried “piggyback-style” by her friend Elizabeth Tichelman when Elizabeth was pushed from behind by another friend and classmate, Liam Friesen.

Gu, who described Liam as a nice boy, fell and fractured her elbow on the artificial turf at Southridge School on Nov. 21, 2008.

Elizabeth’s mother described Liam as a “rambunctious but a sweet kid.” Another Grade 6 girl at the time recalled Liam was the “class clown.”

Gu advanced the legal action through her legal guardian, Bei Xin Gu, since children cannot file lawsuits.

She claimed negligence against Friesen, his parents, Elizabeth, Elizabeth’s parents and the school. Gu alleged the school did not properly supervise the playground when she was injured.

In a judgment released Wednesday, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Terry Schultes found Liam Friesen was negligently liable for the injury.

But the judge dismissed the liability claim against Friesen’s parents, the school and the third parties. He did not determine a dollar figure Friesen, now a teenager, would have to pay in damages leaving that decision until after a further hearing.

Six lawyers were involved in the five-day civil trial.

Friesen testified he had been playing football with some other students when he noticed the two girls, whom he was friends with at the time.

He recalled that he ran “pretty far” from the football game before he saw Elizabeth and Jacqueline because he was trying to catch a pass for a touchdown. When he stopped, they were between five and 10 metres away from him.

He ran up behind them at pace “between a walk and a run” and pushed Elizabeth “softly,” the boy said.

But he agreed on cross-examination that he was going at a “fast jog” and that it was more his momentum that accounted for the amount of force that was actually applied, rather than how hard he had tried to push Elizabeth.

His intention was to make the girls laugh. He did not did not mean to hurt Jacqueline, he said.

He was also aware of the school rule against pushing on the playground and knew that he had broken it, but he did not consider “all the other bad things that could happen” or about getting into trouble before he did it.

Elizabeth fell to the ground and, according to Friesen, started laughing. Jacqueline also ended up on the ground, but began crying.

A year after the incident, Friesen was diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and now takes medication for it, the judge said in written reasons.

“However, this condition was not known to anyone at the time that Jacqueline was hurt, so it was obviously not something that could have been taken into account by anyone who was involved in supervising him,” the judge said.

He noted the boy was not known for being aggressive and the incident appeared to be a “one-off” that could not have been foreseen.

The boy’s lawyer, Nigel Beckmann, said he couldn’t comment on the case.

“The matter is still in litigation,” he said Wednesday.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #19
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
lol they are kids! Kids get injury is normal >< heck even us grown ups hurt ourselives from time to time.....
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I would direct my child to hug every child in his/her class every recess, unless a child themselves asks them to not give them a hug.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

WTF is this.....
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #22
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
what I hated most during recess time in my days (VSB in the 90's)
they force everyone outside due to lack of supervision
they do open the gym during the winter but you cant be in hallways or classroom
then they banned snow ball fights...dafuq mang

Last edited by twitchyzero; 11-05-2013 at 12:03 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #23
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Coming to a school yard near you, its

No Touch 2013!TM

From the fine educational minds that brought us, "No Fail 2008" and "Everyone Hates Bullies 2010 here's a pink t-shit"

No Touch 2013

Are you tired of having kids that act like kids? Think no more! Have them live in a world of 2 feet of personal space!

And included with every purchase of the No Touch 2013 program is the updated rule book to 'Red Rover' because now, everyone comes over! But not too close Tommy, you already won this round.

Act fast, and we'll throw in, "Hugging Yourself is the Best Hug" and "Hi-five Yourself"

All brought to you by "Fuck Your Net Zero policy, I'm taking an extra coffee break" in association with "It's called a union, bitch. Fire me, I dare you"

The end result is spotless kids that know of no consequence to their actions. Good luck future! The grads of 2022 are coming to get you.
You forgot "Sports Day Participant Ribbon 2001".
Posted via RS Mobile
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #24
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
wtf

Kids will be kids. Part of growing up is running Red Rover in the field, or playing chicken on top a raised structure, or playing tag, or any other number of games kids play.

My old Elementary school had gravel for us to fall in, not wood chips with a soft rubber underlay. We had a super sketchy fort that rose two stories and had a fireman's pole in the centre, with no guardrails to prevent us from falling down. Oh, and it was made from wood, not safety plastic. We had a trio of giant concrete tubes that we'd run on, even though they were a number of feet high. Hell, we'd climb the uprights in the football field and the kids on the ground would try to shake us off.

Did any of us ever get injured? Sure, but it taught us to be careful of where we put our feet and be mindful of our surroundings. My brother broke both his arms after falling off the monkey bars while playing chicken, but as soon as he was out of the casts, he was right back on 'em going after the other kids.

I get that this is for Kindergarten kids (though I'm not sure why they're the only ones included in this ban) and not for the rest of the grades, but it's still stupid. Even in class, a Kindergarten kid is still playing around with their classmates and sometimes physical contact is inevitable.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #25
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote