REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Some kid fresh out of highschool is just fine to do oil changes. It's an oil change, not heart surgery. You have to start out somewhere if you want to be a mechanic, you don't just magically become one.

Kids make mistakes. Adults make mistakes. Mechanics who've been working for 30 years make mistakes. Mistakes will happen where ever you go. What really forms my opinion about a company is what they do about it when a mistake happens. I went back to an engine shop for more work after they messed up my valve lash because they made things right for me after it happened.

Don't blame the kids. Blame the managers who use them like coke mules.
Advertisement
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Some kid fresh out of highschool is just fine to do oil changes. It's an oil change, not heart surgery. You have to start out somewhere if you want to be a mechanic, you don't just magically become one.

Kids make mistakes. Adults make mistakes. Mechanics who've been working for 30 years make mistakes. Mistakes will happen where ever you go. What really forms my opinion about a company is what they do about it when a mistake happens. I went back to an engine shop for more work after they messed up my valve lash because they made things right for me after it happened.

Very true. Whats worse than them not rectifying a mistake though, is it not being a mistake in the first place. Some of these places just flat out lie and cheat to get more money out of a customer. There is no excuse for not having changed out the oil filter on someones car. You assemble the parts that you need when you start and after you go through the motions at the end when you realize "oh shit I still have the brand new oil filter" you would admit you made a foolish mistake and fix it. Yet these places continue to do this to people. So it isnt a mistake its a scam...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #28
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Had an issue with Mr. Lube on Kingsway in Burnaby several years ago. They recommended that I change my air filter and fuel filter (which I had just changed myself), which made me suspicious. Asked them to show me the oil they were using; turned out to be semi-synthetic when I paid for synthetic. They refunded the difference, but I sure as fuck never went back.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Had an issue with Mr. Lube on Kingsway in Burnaby several years ago. They recommended that I change my air filter and fuel filter (which I had just changed myself), which made me suspicious. Asked them to show me the oil they were using; turned out to be semi-synthetic when I paid for synthetic. They refunded the difference, but I sure as fuck never went back.
Yup had a friend recently told that he had to change his fuel filter at a Mr. Lube. Phoned me and asked me, I told him to tell them to pound sand.

For the record on all infiniti models (as many as I know) fuel filters are a maintenance free item.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #30
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

The only people you can trust these days are Iranian car dealers.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #31
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Not all Lube shops are like that. there is a difference between upsale and recommending needed services by date and mileage where there is no visual sign of fluid failure.

as well if you service your car at multiple locations how is the tech supposed to know what's due? not every fluid discolours when due. in fact you are supposed to replace many fluids before they cause damage and before they look like shit.

case in point, a fuel filter is due at 1 to 2 years. many metal filters don't show signs of age and the plastic ones never due. so techs make recommendations based from date and mileage. if your car shows no date for the service it is recommended, even if it was replaced last month at a different shop that had a discount on fuel filters.

you can't test for fuel injector build up so that service is recommended yearly and you shouldn't wait until there are signs of clogged injectors or it can damage the pump.

differential fluid should be replaced before it shows signs of failure to avoid damaging gears. most people think "oh it doesn't look dark" even when showing other signs that it is over due like bubbling, or moisture contamination making it milky.

if you're a cheap fuc* who doesn't know a thing about cars and you go to cheap shops to get the best deal, while not keeping track of your services, don't get made at a tech who has no timeline for what you may or may not have had serviced.

find a good shop and stay with them so you and the staff know what is or is not due.
mac25 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-SPEC View Post
The only people you can trust these days are Iranian car dealers.
LOL!

Did you know I was Iranian, or are you just being an asshole?

Old 11-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #33
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Well, you did say at one point your co-workers did call you a car bomb, so.....naturally people will draw to their own conclusions.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrdukes View Post
Well, you did say at one point your co-workers did call you a car bomb, so.....naturally people will draw to their own conclusions.
Lol.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #35
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

as well i hate people that come into my shop and ask to use their own oil or say why is "synthetic so expensive i can get that same oil at canadiantire for $38".

first off not all oil is API certified and doesn't cover warranty spec. so shops like mine who are liable to the car dealerships to use proper oil can't use your cheapo lordco oil, special additives or fluids.

or the people who come in and say "no i don't want to use synthetic 0w20 in my 2012 civic i've always used basic 15w40 in my vehicles and i want 15w40 in this one to"... lol.

now back to the price.

they complain about the oil costing double the price from canadian tire.

ok go to canadian tirebuy your oil ($38), now buy your filter ($4), now buy a wrench set ($50), now by a filter wrench ($15), and a jack set ($80)...

now go out in the cold and complete your oil change on your back for $187, then you have the right to even suggest the price is too high.
mac25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #36
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^having tools is not a bad idea, a good investment and can be re-used again and again as a DIY'er

Lots of ignorant owners out there that don't know what they are talking about and would complain.

But there are alot of owners out there that are aware of what these shops is putting in their cars. And you can buy the same grade of oil from CT that other shops sell for more(i know german cars follow a strict grade for their vehicles and only sold at specialty shops or dealership). Its a legitimate question when they ask "why is yours more expensive?" but its ignorant of them because you are trying to run a business.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #37
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
I would rather pay the premium at a dealership ...
Yeah, cuz nobody calls them "stealerships" for a reason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #38
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac25 View Post
as well i hate people that come into my shop and ask to use their own oil or say why is "synthetic so expensive i can get that same oil at canadiantire for $38".

first off not all oil is API certified and doesn't cover warranty spec. so shops like mine who are liable to the car dealerships to use proper oil can't use your cheapo lordco oil, special additives or fluids.

or the people who come in and say "no i don't want to use synthetic 0w20 in my 2012 civic i've always used basic 15w40 in my vehicles and i want 15w40 in this one to"... lol.

now back to the price.

ok go to canadian tirebuy your oil ($38), now buy your filter ($4), now buy a wrench set ($50), now by a filter wrench ($15), and a jack set ($80)...

now go out in the cold and complete your oil change on your back for $187, then you have the right to even suggest the price is too high.
I'm gonna add to your list.

For those of you who live in condos, most stratas forbid tenants/owners to perform oil changes or any kind of maintenance on their vehicles within the parking garage. If/when you get caught or someone reports you, you get fined and then have to deal with the strata.

Is it worth it? Better to just pony up and pay a shop to do it. But everyone has their own set of circumstances so really, there's no right or wrong to this. Just some food for thought.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #39
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,264 Times in 1,967 Posts
Welcome to the Walmart generation. Where people think they can pay almost nothing yet have almost everything. The truth is (oh God, common sense) is that the little you pay, the more likely you'll get milked elsewhere to recoup the losses the place would have if they just did your oil and sent you on your way.

Preying on the naive is never a good thing but some people just deserve it, lol.

I've learned to make friends with my service techs at my dealership. Giving donuts and coffee for example can go a long way.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #40
2 Wheelin' Mod

Mac25 why do u hate it when people ask to use their own oil
Posted via RS Mobile
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #41
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac25 View Post

now back to the price.

Those cheap asses don't have a right to complain. I only own entry level luxury but oil changes run me $140-160 per visit (where synthetic oil cost $80 and with a filter $100).

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #42
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post

Exactly.

An oil change is probably the simplest thing you can do on a car. It's not an issue if it's a kid still in high school changing it. After all, it's one bolt in the oil pan and the fill cap in the engine bay. Hell, my roommate's 8 year old daughter changed the oil in my car one day (with supervision of course, but the point is there).

As for upselling, well think of it like the dollar menu at any fast food restaurant. They're there to draw you in with cheap food, but then they'll ask if you want cheese or fries or if you want to upsize your meal. They may lose money on the initial purchase but they'll then hopefully make money once you decide to go with a coolant flush or something else.

I'll admit I've been told that certain fluids are "bad," even though I knew for a fact that they were still good (one quick lube place even showed me a "sample" of my coolant colouring... which was funny because I was running Honda's blue coolant and the sample was a dirty green... and another time I was running pure water and the sample again was green ) but I'll simply tell them no thanks. On the other hand, I've been to quick lube places where they'll first ask me if I knew when the last time certain fluids were changed and they simply told me the recommended intervals and to come back if I'd ever like to get them done there. No scams, no "samples," no nothing.

But if you're looking to just get an oil change and know how to say no to the things they try to upsell you on, I have no problem with going to a quick lube place.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #43
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas29 View Post
Mac25 why do u hate it when people ask to use their own oil
Posted via RS Mobile
Because the customers don't bring in the correct spec oil(oil weight or API standards) and his shop is liable for it.

I am sure if the customer bring in the correct oil, hes more than willing to complete the oil change.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #44
I bringith the lowerballerith

pretty much all oil in big box stores is api certified except for some high performance racing oils (royal purple, redline oil etc). even lordco stuff is api certified...

having a bad experience with a express oil change on my first car was my first and last visit ever to an oil change place.. over torqued my drain plug, then put in a rubber plug that was just barely snug.. when i went to change the pan the next day the plug was so loose if a rock nicked it, it would have fallen out.
bensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #45
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Video is up.

Greasy Business - Marketplace - CBC News

It is super shady.

http://www.e38registry.org/

Last edited by Mr.C; 11-10-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: