REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 11-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
2 Wheelin' Mod

shock collar

so i'm looking for a anti bark collar for my GSD anybody have any experience with using one?

right now i'm looking at this one

SportDOG SBC-10R Bark Control Rechargeable Collar$-$$89.95

I would prefer one that makes a noise then vibrates then shocks him.
Advertisement
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
God I hope RS can come through again and find a new owner for this guy's dog

Don't shock your fucking pet.. WTF? This is for working dogs
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
2 Wheelin' Mod

Well u could give other ideas on how to stop him from barking

He doesn't bark to much during the day but sometimes(once a week) at night. he won't stop barking unless I stand there with him and once I go inside after a couple of mins he will start barking again.

Hopefully rs can save my dog since I'm such a terrible pet owner...

Edit: since the shock collar thing seemed to piss off skinny another option would be closing the door to his dog house and have him be in their all night.

I think the shock collar would be a better idea since he can still drink water and do everything else during the night.

The shock collar would be on from midnight(whenever I wake up from his barking) till 8am on nights he's being problematic.

He's a smart dog and picks up things pretty fast so if anyone else has any ideas on ways to train him not to bark at night time let me know.

He knows not to bark during the day(He will bark once or twice and stop). During the night when I'm sleeping his behavior doesn't get corrected fast enough for him to learn to stop. I'm thinking the shock collar will correct his behavior right away and he will learn not to bark it seems like he will get 3-4 barks before he actually feels the shock.

Hopefully this makes sense I'm pretty tired.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Jas29; 11-14-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Trying using the collars that spray a citrus scent into their face instead of the shock collar.
http://www.amazon.ca/Petsafe-Premier.../dp/B0002D31QU

But before making any purchases, you should try and figure out why he's barking, is he an outdoor dog?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

how big of a shock do they send to the dogs?
is it just a lil buzz to get the dogs attention?

if thats the case I honestly think its very minor, but if your talking about a shock that will actually hurt then please dont get one.

again, best option is to take your dogs to training, 89 dollars for a collar is not cheap considering you can find a dog trainer from 30-50 bucks an hour.
4x4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:35 AM   #6

Do some research before buying things that inflict harm on your dog. This isn't a working dog I assume, it's a pet.

I'd start here Dogtraining: search results
Old 11-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Generally consistent barking means the dog needs more affection/attention. However, some dogs that are working dogs, this is not always the desired goal (sled dogs are a good example). You either need to correct the barking each time or lock the dog inside if the neighbours are complaining.

Shock collars do not work for all dogs - I have seen many that push through the "pain" so to speak. That being said, I have seen the citrus/citronella collar work effectively (with breeders of all people) and then they are eventually, and usually quickly, not needed.

All that being said, some dogs just have separation anxiety. Those dogs need special training to learn to adapt the absence of their owners.

Start with kindness and time- it's free and the most rewarding.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I had a friend who tried the shock collar for a barking problem (it's not that bad, really it's not - do it on your arm, it's just a little tickle)... thing with them is, they're designed to shut off after a certain number of jolts, and her dog just figured out that if it KEPT barking, the zapping would stop, too.

Another friend tried the citronela spray collar, but discovered the dog actually liked it

You can go through a lot of money trying different $80-$100 "solutions" to find something that works, and it may only work temporarily... finding the root of the barking and addressing that is likely to be the better long-term fix, and will probably be cheaper overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
2 Wheelin' Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4runner View Post
how big of a shock do they send to the dogs?
is it just a lil buzz to get the dogs attention?
according to the reviews online its more of a buzz some people tried it on themselves and they didn't feel it till the 4th shock

Zedbra and soundy

thanks for the good advice I don't want to waste the money on buying a shock collar nobody has complained yet but I know it is annoying to have a dog barking at 2am.

The problem is there is some sort of animal on the other side of the fence and he sits there barking at it non stop and if it gets close to the fence he runs at the fence and barks.

He stops barking right when I unlock the door to go outside

I don't think he has any anxiety and he gets a lot of exercise throughout the day so I don't think that is the problem either.

Edit: Eatman, yes he is an outdoor dog
Old 11-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
I had one. Minor shock. Usually they have a way to control the level of shock as well.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas29 View Post
according to the reviews online its more of a buzz some people tried it on themselves and they didn't feel it till the 4th shock
There are also types that have a couple nubs that rest against the next and just give a little vibration, no actual shock.

Quote:
The problem is there is some sort of animal on the other side of the fence and he sits there barking at it non stop and if it gets close to the fence he runs at the fence and barks.
He's protecting you and his home... maybe you need to apply a little Cesar thinking, be the pack leader, take charge of the situation... get between him and the animal and show him that it's YOUR problem, not his, and that the animal doesn't present a threat. You'll probably have to do it repeatedly until he gets the idea.
Quote:
Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
2 Wheelin' Mod

Its hard since I can't see anything on the other side of the fence the other side is about 8.5 feet lower I tried using a stick and hitting it on the other side of the fence but that doesn't seem do anything w.e is there stays there
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #13

Don't go after the critter yourself, that just demonstrates that it's something to be attacked. Get in between, block him from the fence, then go about not giving any fucks about whatever is over there. Show him that whatever is happening over the fence doesn't matter to your existence. It will take a while, but he SHOULD eventually get the message that the other animal is irrelevant and should just be ignored.
Quote:
Old 11-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
2 Wheelin' Mod

Okay I'll try that from now on thanks soundy
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #15
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
God I hope RS can come through again and find a new owner for this guy's dog

Don't shock your fucking pet.. WTF? This is for working dogs
On the bright side, he didn't ask about having his dog's vocal cords cut.

A perfectly acceptable procedure, according to the CVBC.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
bit of a detour with this post, but since were on the subject of bark collars...

has anyone used those E collars?

my 11 month GSD has a horrible habit me and my family just cant seem to break...

he has full free roam of the house 24/7, but whenever he wants to go out side he stands infront of the door for 2 seconds and if nobodys there, he jumps and claws at the door. hes already gone through several window curtain things from getting his claws and pulling them off the hooks.

ive tried to make him sit for 1 minute, which he will do, but he'll only do it IF i'm standing there. if nobody else is in the room, its clawing time. I've tried to get him to sit and bark, but nope. my other dog just sits and lays in front of the door until someone opens it (my living room has decent view of the door so we can usually see either dog there within a few seconds of being there).

any tips? training shock collars? ive used a pinch collar on him for all his obedience training and its worked like a charm. not sure if I should just leave the pinch collar on him (which would be cruel) and give him a tug every time he jumps and claws...or get a training collar and give him a pop each time...

any suggestions?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #17

How much exercise does he get each day? I don't mean him walking around the yard, I mean actual exercise for his body AND mind.

Because if you're not training him actively for 2-3 hours every day, he is going to go nuts and start barking like that.

GSDs are worker dogs. They need constant stimulation to be happy. This type of breed isn't for everyone. If you can't spend 20 hours a week working and playing with him, you should have gotten a pug.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Lack of exercises, discipline is usually the root of many problems. So you gotta find out the root and address that and the problems will dissipate itself. If it's disciple then allowing him to freely roam the house isnt so good. Then you gotta go back to setting boundaries between man and dog.

Whatever it is, remember that shock collar/leash/treat are only tools and not solutions. They won't fix bad habits and can have negative effects if misused.
Posted via RS Mobile
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
How much exercise does he get each day? I don't mean him walking around the yard, I mean actual exercise for his body AND mind.

Because if you're not training him actively for 2-3 hours every day, he is going to go nuts and start barking like that.

GSDs are worker dogs. They need constant stimulation to be happy. This type of breed isn't for everyone. If you can't spend 20 hours a week working and playing with him, you should have gotten a pug.
he gets his walk which is a few km long.
hes non stop running around with the other dog.

for mental exercise, i train him in little 5 minute windows all throughout the day to prevent him from getting bored.

the gf's mom is a retired trainer and breeder. she was the one who suggested e collars for corrective behaviour, ex., i can watch the dog from inside the house, and if hes outside trying to fish for koi in my pond or starts digging a hole, he can be corrected without any use of words.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #20

Why don't you combine the two items, by training him to use a different method of asking to go out, like the old "door bells" idea?

Right now he knows that if he scratches and claws at the door, he'll eventually be let out; you've essentially trained him to know that scratching is the way to success... so instead of training him NOT to scratch, teach him that SOMETHING ELSE will work, and if he rings the bells, someone will come and let him out.

Of course, you'll have to stay right on top of it at first, making sure to let him out as quickly as possible when he rings the bells (once you get him started using them, that is). The bonus is, learning something new will also help stimulate and occupy his mind.
Quote:
Old 11-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
On the bright side, he didn't ask about having his dog's vocal cords cut.

A perfectly acceptable procedure, according to the CVBC.
It was the most fucked up shit at the RS spring meet. I brought monty as I always do and some pomeranian was barking like crazy at him, but no sound was coming out. I'd never heard of that before until my wife explained it. Taking away a dogs ability (or one of the ways) to communicate with other dogs is awful.
As for the barking. Try a spray bottle. Just full of water. When my dog barked at people/dogs passing by the apartment I sprayed him in the face with water and he learned quite quickly. Also speak to a professional. GOOD Dog trainers are better than any of the tools that we may think we understand how to use that we can just pick up at the pet store.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #22
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Thats fucked man. Cant believe such savage method is still considered acceptable.
Posted via RS Mobile
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I took my dads Keeshound in when he was still alive to a vet for vaccinations, they we're going away and he had to be kenneled. This dog did bark a lot but the vet actually recommend removing his vocal chords. I was like uh yeah......needless to say the dog never went back there.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I took my dads Keeshound in when he was still alive to a vet for vaccinations, they we're going away and he had to be kenneled. This dog did bark a lot but the vet actually recommend removing his vocal chords. I was like uh yeah......needless to say the dog never went back there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
It was the most fucked up shit at the RS spring meet. I brought monty as I always do and some pomeranian was barking like crazy at him, but no sound was coming out. I'd never heard of that before until my wife explained it. Taking away a dogs ability (or one of the ways) to communicate with other dogs is awful.
It's a perfectly legal procedure in most of Canada and the United States, but in Europe and Australia performing the procedure would lead to animal cruelty charges and a vm license revocation. The same applies to cropping, docking, and de-clawing. It's all fucking sick.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #25

They get dogs like that at my wife's work all the time.. vocal chords removed, teeth removed, and breeding until they are elderly. It's standard practise for scumbags to do to their dogs.

And then they sell them to pet stores for ignorant people to buy, and they run into problems like "my dog won't stop barking I am going to either buy a shock collar or cut its vocal chords out"