REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 11-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Math mark

Recently, my math mark has been dropping REALLY fast. With the first 3 math tests, my mark was at 86%...the previous 3 we just did, my marks were 70%,71% and 71% and my mark fell to 81%....Im doing Pre-Calc 12 in BC. Do you guys have any suggestions as to how I should study and how long etc.??

Any advice is apreciated. Thank You!
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
high school or adult ed?
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
high school or adult ed?
Highschool....im not sure whether its that I didnt do the homework for the last 3 chapters or Im just not smart enough...
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
What were the chapters about?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
lol yo fuk class skip that shit n go get high n pick up bitches n take em to whitespot
bitches love that shit yo
show up to class drunk n shit lolol gangsta cuz
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
Highschool....im not sure whether its that I didnt do the homework for the last 3 chapters or Im just not smart enough...
Posted via RS Mobile
Believe me, not that high-school is not important, but really- don't sweat the small stuff.

To answer your question- just keep doing problems. If you're looking in the back of the book for the answer before you're done all of your work, you're doing it wrong. If you are done all of your homework and getting every single question right while doing the correct work, then ask for more homework! With mathematics (especially calc), that's the only real way to learn and improve.

It seems that a lot of high-schoolers (my sister just graduated, so there's my one source) are so uptight about getting wrong answers. If you ask me, there's no better way to learn something than to get it wrong, work through the problem, figure out why you got it wrong, and never make the mistake again. That's what homework is for.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
nma
#RVG

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile

nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
OP you can hire me to write exams for you
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
What were the chapters about?
Ch.1- Transformations of graphs.streches translations etc. i got 82%

Ch.2- Radical functions...I got 88%

Ch.3- Polynomial functions and graphs..I got 82%

Chapter 9- rational functions...I got 70%

Chapter 4- Trig..working with exact values and the unit circle etc. 71%

Chapter 5- Sinusoidal functions etc. 71% (our teacher included ch.4 in this test ad well for some reason..)

Now were on ch.6...trig identites etc.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Masterroshi?
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Masterroshi?
No, I saw his constant posts though...
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
SOH CAH TOA

How long to practice? As long as it takes until you get it.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
OP, to answer your question...sadly, the latter chapters of pre calculus 12 will be hell. Later on, bitchez will be sweatin and your focus on math will deteriorate. Sorry it's the truth. Now you may ask...SpeedStars, you've been to high school, how do you study? Well..very easy. First things first, you must purchase a Toyota AE86, DONT ask any questions because questions are for losers(and you're not a loser right!). Second, bring your pre calc text, calculator and most importantly, your cup of milk( you should know why, milk is brain food). Lastly, head up to Mount Seymour where it is quiet and start studying while going down hill. REMEMBER, DONT SPILL THE MILK! ( you need it, remember! Brain food!) The adrenaline when you're going downhill will pressure you into solving math questions super fast, so fast that everything around you slows down. Eventually, you will hit a time paradox known as...the Fujiwara Zone and your average at the end of the year will increase to 95%(just good enough for Harvard, but barely)

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #14
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,034 Times in 174 Posts
Quote:
Chapter 5- Sinusoidal functions etc. 71% (our teacher included ch.4 in this test ad well for some reason..)

Now were on ch.6...trig identites etc.
Posted via RS Mobile
well you gotta be able to evaluate ur functions as well, they go hand in hand.

for trig identities, all you have to do is memorize the key trig identities and apply ur simplifying skills you've learned since the start of ur math career.

most of them will be straight forward but watch out for the really tricky ones on tests that you probably wont be able figure out even with unlimited time.

doing all the assigned homework is the difference between getting 8/8 on a question and 0/8 and being sad afterwards. do the harder textbook questions (usually the last 10 or so questions at the end of chapter) even if they are not assigned if you really want to succeed. this only takes a couple more hours of work but u get so much satisfaction in return (unless u still do poorly on the test)
fs604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,664 Times in 334 Posts
Get a tutor. I had one for Calc 12 and currently have one for Math 157.

noransx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak
[24-01, 14:19] mk1freak lots of bdays this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9
[22-05, 23:37] norans also got a pretty douchey white hipster haircut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_BOY
[27-10, 22:25] can't spell ice without ie
2014 Chevrolet Volt - Poo brown ft panel gaps - currently at 588mpg
2006 Honda CBR600RR "LaF'Honda" pronounced la-fawn-duh
Noran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
When I took Cal, there were some stuff I didn't understand, and that made me get B+ marks...

I got some help from a few tutoring classes on Cal, and it increased it to high 80s low 90s.

There were a few things that needed to be explained to me, and when I had the one-on-one help, it improved my score.

Ask your Cal teacher for some help for 10 to 15 minutes, if he/she isn't busy.

I'm sure they will acquiesce.

Or, if not, get a tutor to go through stuff you don't understand.

In Chronological order:
1- study (through homework, practice, whatever)
2- circle the stuff you don't understand or make a list of stuff you don't understand.
3a- Ask teacher for a one-on-one session
OR
3b- Ask tutor
4- Do better in tests by at least a grade point higher.
5- Rinse and repeat.

"Back at One" hehehe Brian Mcknight.

Good luck!

PS: If you are going into the Sciences or even... *gasp* Business, you'll need high Calculus marks, but I'm not sure if your "pre-cal" is Calculus AP or (I forgot the name) or an easier version of Calculus... The Universities have a much higher weighting/preference on the Calculus AP scores, so study hard and improve your average before your second and third term ends. For example, Queen's Business program gives a hard look at Calculus scores to weed out the incoming students, and you need a 90% or higher average.

Last edited by Marshall Placid; 11-14-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
Need my Daily Fix of RS

You really shouldn't be having this much trouble. If your idea is to get into University and I assume into a faculty that will require Math, you'll have a really tough time with Calc and what not. So my advice is to get on your shit. Do ALL practise problems. Go ask your teacher for help after class. Tutors aren't the only option as it will cost you a lot of money. You have to self teach and self learn. Be motivated, it's only November there's plenty of time to bring your mark up by March.
theevilslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
First, why are you expecting a good score on Math tests when you didn't do the homework? Unless you're a math genius, which apparently you're not...

Math is like learning any other motor skills. Repetition is key. You need to practice the "standard" problems to the point where you don't even have to think about how to solve them.

Once you're brain starts to understand the basic concepts inside out, you need to think of harder variations of those problems (usual the word problems) which are not so straight-forward anymore. This is what separates an A student from the B's.

Quote:
how I should study and how long etc.??

Any advice is apreciated. Thank You!
Posted via RS Mobile
If you want to earn an A, you need to study as long as it takes to become a master at it. For some, this is 30 minutes, for others it may be 2 hours daily. It depends from student to student and their motivation to do well in the course.

If you ever decide to move on to post-secondary, you will quickly realize that the duration of study doesn't really mean much in the end.

-current MSc Math student with +5 years math tutoring experience
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #19
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
When I took Cal, there were some stuff I didn't understand, and that made me get B+ marks...

I got some help from a few tutoring classes on Cal, and it increased it to high 80s low 90s.

There were a few things that needed to be explained to me, and when I had the one-on-one help, it improved my score.

Ask your Cal teacher for some help for 10 to 15 minutes, if he/she isn't busy.

I'm sure they will acquiesce.

Or, if not, get a tutor to go through stuff you don't understand.

In Chronological order:
1- study (through homework, practice, whatever)
2- circle the stuff you don't understand or make a list of stuff you don't understand.
3a- Ask teacher for a one-on-one session
OR
3b- Ask tutor
4- Do better in tests by at least a grade point higher.
5- Rinse and repeat.

"Back at One" hehehe Brian Mcknight.

Good luck!

PS: If you are going into the Sciences or even... *gasp* Business, you'll need high Calculus marks, but I'm not sure if your "pre-cal" is Calculus AP or (I forgot the name) or an easier version of Calculus... The Universities have a much higher weighting/preference on the Calculus AP scores, so study hard and improve your average before your second and third term ends. For example, Queen's Business program gives a hard look at Calculus scores to weed out the incoming students, and you need a 90% or higher average.
I think the problem may be that I did literally no homework for those chapters because I didnt even try to understand it. For the last two tests it felt so easy and that I understood everything...but that wasnt the case.

I wanna go into business or economics and Ill need pre-calclus 12 for university admission. Its different from calculus.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
#savethemanuals

Quote:
I think the problem may be that I did literally no homework for those chapters because I didnt even try to understand it. For the last two tests it felt so easy and that I understood everything...but that wasnt the case.

I wanna go into business or economics and Ill need pre-calclus 12 for university admission. Its different from calculus.
Posted via RS Mobile
sigh deja vu.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #21
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
First, why are you expecting a good score on Math tests when you didn't do the homework? Unless you're a math genius, which apparently you're not...

Math is like learning any other motor skills. Repetition is key. You need to practice the "standard" problems to the point where you don't even have to think about how to solve them.

Once you're brain starts to understand the basic concepts inside out, you need to think of harder variations of those problems (usual the word problems) which are not so straight-forward anymore. This is what separates an A student from the B's.

If you want to earn an A, you need to study as long as it takes to become a master at it. For some, this is 30 minutes, for others it may be 2 hours daily. It depends from student to student and their motivation to do well in the course.

If you ever decide to move on to post-secondary, you will quickly realize that the duration of study doesn't really mean much in the end.

-current MSc Math student with +5 years math tutoring experience
The reason I didnt do the homework is that the questions felt so easy and it felt like I understood everything...
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #22
RS controls my life!

Quote:
The reason I didnt do the homework is that the questions felt so easy and it felt like I understood everything...
Posted via RS Mobile
I can't say that I haven't made this mistake in the past.

Reading the solution from an example problem from the textbook and saying "ahh... this seems pretty easy" is much different than attempting to reproduce the solution accurately on the exam. If you don't do your due diligence you cannot expect good results.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #23
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

LOL... so it begins.... again
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
I can't say that I haven't made this mistake in the past.

Reading the solution from an example problem from the textbook and saying "ahh... this seems pretty easy" is much different than attempting to reproduce the solution accurately on the exam. If you don't do your due diligence you cannot expect good results.
Ive made that mistake 3 times....never again...
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post
LOL... so it begins.... again
He's persistent. And smart because its not so obvious to most.