REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 11-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Rescued! Giant pussycat :)

About a year ago, and old friend came out from Ontario to deal with her father's affairs after he died. Among all this, she was trying to get her sister out of an abusive situation, including taking their 6-month-old (and already huge) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuvasz and finding it a new home.

Since my extended family uses such dogs (also Pyrenees and Maremmas) on their farm, I checked with them as to whether they could take this poor creature, who was also being abused by the boyfriend, having to live in a tiny house instead of running free. Well, they couldn't, but they put me on to a nearby farm where the owner trains predator protection dogs of this sort, and she agreed to take him.

Unfortunately, the situation fell apart, the sister went back to the BF, and the dog had to stay... until just a couple weeks ago, when my friend came back out, the boyfriend ended up in jail for breech of a no-contact order, and the sister finally decided to get the hell outta Dodge. So my friend got back in touch with the trainer, filled her in on the deal, and she agree again to take him.

So, Tuesday night, it was over the sister's place to pick up the dog, who of course was very skittish and scared. Fortunately I've watched a lot of Cesar, so I followed his general procedure: they had Gus in the bathroom, so I cracked the door enough for him to get his nose out and blocked it with my foot, then stood calmly with my side to him, so he could see and smell me and realize I wasn't a threat. After he calmed down from aggressive growling to just concerned barking, the sister brought me a bowl of raw steak bits for him.

Once we were through those, I shut the door, went outside, and had the sister put the leash on him, then keep him in the bathroom with the leash hanging out. Went back in, picked up the leash, and let him very slowly out of the bathroom. He acted a bit like he wanted to check me out at that point, but never really tried to attack me. I eventually got him outside, and he turned all playful, though still a bit rough. We finally went for a walk around a few blocks, and he was very well-behaved.

He'd never ridden in a car before, so getting him into the back of the CR-V was a challenge - we ended up with the back seats folded down, the sister in the front passenger seat to coax him, and me getting him in the back driver's side door. I had to finally lift his back in, and he became very subdued.

The plan from there was to meet my wife, my friend, and her hubby for dinner... I got there way ahead of them, so I brought Gus out for a walk on the long berm behind the shopping center... while we were standing on top and I was texting my friend directions to the place, he bolted after a critter or something, and started pulling me down the hill... I got him stopped, sitting on the frosty hill, and he came back around and started giving me kisses

Later at home, I locked our little guys upstairs in the bedroom with mommy, and Gus and I slept in the living room... every time we went out for a walk, he was playful and very lovey-dovey... so sad to see the situation he had been in, being beaten by hand, cane, and giant metal cookie sheet, when he was really just a big gentle pup!

So it was finally time to go... he still wouldn't jump into the back of the Patriot (he almost doesn't seem to know how to jump up into/onto things), but he turned sideways to me and completely submitted to letting me pick him up and put him in the back.

Dropped the wife off at work, and then headed for his new home outside Spences Bridge! He's not a fan of road travel, but he managed the trip fine (with a potty stop in Yale). Was a GORGEOUS day for a drive, with a cloudless sky, bright sun, and fresh snow on the surrounding hills.

When we got to the farm, they already had all their animals put away except the other dogs; those all went inside then, except for a Pyrenees, Lily, who was the same age as Gus (about 18 months) and the friendliest of the lot. I brought him out of the Jeep, the two sniffed noses, I unhooked his leash, they sniffed butts, and then Gus started running around, bouncing, trying to get her to play.

Everyone there noticed right away how attached he'd become to me in barely 18 hours. They'd never trained him in any way, but the one thing he did know was to stop playing and come over when I held up the leash - WALKIES TIME! The trainer took him for a perimeter walk of the main farm area, along with Lily, and he seemed to totally enjoy it.

These are a couple videos I got after the came back from their little walk...

We let him explore for a bit while we went inside to warm up... came out, played with him a bit more, walked him around on-leash a while, then we put him in a small fenced run with his food and water so the trainer could let the other dogs out to meet him through the fence. That went pretty well, and she figured he'd probably stay in the run for the first three nights while coming out to train in the day.

Frankly, by time to leave home and take him up there, I was just about ready to say screw it, and keep him myself, he's such a gorgeous creature... but these are born herding and predator protection dogs, they're built to be outdoor working dogs, and it just wouldn't be right to keep him in the city. He's going to have an amazing life!
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"

Last edited by Soundy; 11-24-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
(FYI - First video says it's private.)

Nice dog!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrdukes View Post
(FYI - First video says it's private.)

Nice dog!
Permissions fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,148 Times in 262 Posts
Pft I rescue giant pussy all day!

Haha jk
Good post tho
Posted via RS Mobile
2 n r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
My neighbour had a Kuvasz and they are pretty dogs (but need a lot of brushing - like, a lot). Great family dogs if trained, and protective of property. I would have had a hard time not taking that guy in. Good job, Soundy.
Zedbra is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

sad story about the abuse, glad gus seems like a happy playful pup after it all. Hope your friends sister also gets stuff straightened out.
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Such a beautiful animal, you're a rare person to go out of your way to help someone like that Soundy I hope Gus enjoys his new home
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: